Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:32:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star Ocean: The Last Hope
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Star Ocean: The Last Hope  (Read 17288 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 08:30:15 PM »

A Japanese Mass Effect is what I think a lot of folks are hoping for out of the next Star Ocean game.  Here's hoping they deliver.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:31 PM »

Quote from: "artego"
I want to see more of this "ship that travels to different planets" aspect.

So do I.

I hope we don't end up on a backwater planet again.

As far as the 360 vs PS3 thing, I think the 360 actually has a bit of the edge vs PS3.

Yes, FF is on the PS3 - we're getting two of them. Plus the multiplayer game I can never remember the name of.

360 has Last Remnant, Star Ocean 4, and Infinite Undiscovery. But it also has Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon - two games done by former Square employees, and word has it that Blue Dragon is okay and Lost Odyssey is quite good.

That's 5 games vs 2 plus one multi platform game.

Seems like the 360 is getting the edge on RPGs.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »

A Japanese Mass Effect is what I think a lot of folks are hoping for out of the next Star Ocean game.

I very much doubt that is what they are making. In fact, I prefer not to have a mass effect type game. I'd be happy with another Star Ocean 3 just with a high tech setting for more of the game. I didn't mind being on a backwater planet in Star Ocean 3 but I'm hoping for a change in the squeal. I'm confident they will deliver. They have not disappointed me yet.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
... and word has it that Blue Dragon is okay and Lost Odyssey is quite good.

I'm going to go ahead and say they're about equal, just depends on what you want out of an RPG I guess.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:16 PM »

That's just what I've heard from word of mouth. If you were to pick one, which one would you choose?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »

If you want something more along the lines of the 32-bit FFs, get Lost Odyssey. If you want the modern version of Final Fantasy V, get Blue Dragon. If you want both, get BD first because that's cheap now.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »

Heres an in-game screenshot

http://i32.tinypic.com/a0feqd.jpg
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 11:18:01 PM »

Backwater.

sigh.

bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 11:28:46 PM »

Backwater.

sigh.

You'll get to visit 100s of worlds but all of them are backwater hick worlds. *sticks tongue out*
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »

Well I don't see how a 60's is looking gas station is "backwater" compared to a fantasy setting, though its obviously backwater in terms of super duper future.  But yeah, I doubt all planets are going to be super duper high tech future.

Still regradless of this console crap, im glad its coming for the 360 only cause I own one.  If it came to PS3, id just be like, ok, that sucks, maybe ill pick one up sometimes.  But thats just me.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »

Quote from: "bigdeath"
Backwater.

sigh.

You'll get to visit 100s of worlds but all of them are backwater hick worlds. *sticks tongue out*

I hope you're right actually.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »

Eh..I'll give it a rent at the very least.  I grew tired of TTEOT quite fast though cuz the battle system wasn't my cup of tea.  It's still weird to me that a Star Ocean game is going to the 360..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
artego

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 05:24:47 AM »

Quote from: "bigdeath"
I very much doubt that is what they are making. In fact, I prefer not to have a mass effect type game.

I think it would be a great idea. The concept of planetary exploration and 3-D   interaction seems very suited, especially if you look at the system for IU, which seems to follow along that path.

Plus it would be a draw to the people looking for the next epic space RPG.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 06:57:04 AM »

All I really expect for SO4 is for it to be like SO3, but with 7th-Gen graphics, some new locations to visit, a new story and new characters. I liked the battle system (very similar to Tales in a way) and I would like SE to keep it.

... and word has it that Blue Dragon is okay and Lost Odyssey is quite good.

Blue Dragon is very good from what i've played. Very underrated, so many X360 owners at my school hate it for some reason. As for Lost Odyssey, I can't say at this time as I have not played it yet.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 07:40:32 AM »

With Star Ocean 4 being a prequel, I'm jumping ahead and wondering about future installments in the series.  I mean, the SO games are loosely connected to each other and I feel as if the writers wrote themselves into a corner with SO3's plot twist so a sequel to that would require some imaginative writing.  

What's next after SO4?  Star Earth, the pre-prequel?  Post-apocalypse often turns into the "podunk" dark ages, so perhaps the pre-apocalypse will have the futuristic stuff like flying cars.  

IMO, few JRPGs could do the whole interplanetary thing better than Phantasy Star.  Star Ocean could do well to take a cue from that series, methinks.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: