Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327838 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Dragoon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Dragoon  (Read 5599 times)
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 02:51:51 AM »

clearly they have... and have their own opinions...

i didn't have much problems with FF8, but it wasn't the best FF - i can see the faults ppl point out often..
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 09:28:35 AM »

FF8 and Legend of Dragoon to me are clear cases of unrealized potential.  FF8 had potential and some interesting stuff, particularly with the tight political storyline in disc 1, but went wacky with the witch hunt and the ending made zero sense.  EDIT:  And Esthar was awesome, except for that horrid music.

Dragoon, as I mentioned earlier, had potential in a very cool story part in disk 3, but instead focused on a generic RPG protagonist's quest than on the cool and interesting character and her past.  

Then again, a lot of JRPGs are victims of unrealized potential.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »

The battle system was freaking awesome and actually required skill compared to most battle systems. The story was average, but so are most RPG stories so I usually don't expect much in that department. Graphics were gorgeous for its time. I thought it was an above average game for the most part. No Final Fantasy overall, but I thought it had great production value. I think I went through this game 4 times... back in the day of course.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 10:35:26 AM »

Count me among those who didn't care for it.  I think it was the card thing that really annoyed me... but it's been too long for me to be sure.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 01:20:18 PM »

Quote from: "DarkSageRK"
Quote from: "Blace"
Quote from: "The_P"
Quote from: "Lard"
Other than FF8, worst RPG ever made.

FF8 bored me senseless.

You're both crazy :P

Clearly, neither of them played FF8.

Quote from: "calintz"
clearly they have... and have their own opinions...

OR DarkSage was being sarcastic... /sigh

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

Quote from: "ShadowLaguna"
FFVIII isn't all bad. Yes, it has some very crappy moments but once you get used to them then it gets enjoyable.

Only things I cared about in FFVIII were the graphics, cut scenes, and settings; some of those towns were really cool looking, even if they didn't have a whole lot of scenes or locations within them; plus, I actually thought Squall was a cool guy.

The rest of the characters, I thought were so boring, that they were only going to be temporary characters.

I agree that FFVIII should've kept the political tones that it had in Disc 1.

Sorceress Ultimecia really came out of nowhere; final villain should've been Seifer.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 02:59:24 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Quote from: "ShadowLaguna"
FFVIII isn't all bad. Yes, it has some very crappy moments but once you get used to them then it gets enjoyable.

Only things I cared about in FFVIII were the graphics, cut scenes, and settings; some of those towns were really cool looking, even if they didn't have a whole lot of scenes or locations within them; plus, I actually thought Squall was a cool guy.

The rest of the characters, I thought were so boring, that they were only going to be temporary characters.

I agree that FFVIII should've kept the political tones that it had in Disc 1.

Sorceress Ultimecia really came out of nowhere; final villain should've been Seifer.

Seifer was my favorite character from that game. I wanted more of him, even if it meant me fighting him, and I was slightly disappointed that they just threw him aside. Otherwise, I really enjoyed this game.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 12:58:39 AM »

Laguna was my favourite (hence my username), though Seifer was my second favourite. Yes, it was a shame that they had to do that to him. Many of the other characters were pretty lame.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 03:50:35 AM »

Despite being horribly opposed to FFVIII some years ago, I've come to think of it as a piece of exemplary storytelling in RPGs in more recent years. There's still the problem with the Guardian Forces and Orphanage, but otherwise it had a lot of good characterisation and plot development.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 06:55:19 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Dragoon, as I mentioned earlier, had potential in a very cool story part in disk 3, but instead focused on a generic RPG protagonist's quest than on the cool and interesting character and her past.  

That's the only segment of the game I remember liking, other than that character in general (not a whole lot, but compared to the game...When I pick characters specifically because they're not as annoying for the battle system, I know something's wrong).  :(  There are a number of RPGs like that where some secondary character is much more interesting than the main character, but it's especially pronounced in this one just because the main character is about as interesting as, uh, Cloud's sword.

It'd probably work well for the Wii just because, even though it'd never happen.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »

I know this may seem like an avenue to mock me, but I just beat this game for the first time. I played it a little back on the PSX as a rental, but got bored by it. I replayed it on my PS2 and finally beat it.

The final battle and ending cutscene are awesome, but man... what a terrible story. I would have preferred if the game was about Rose and her compatriots' journey.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 09:23:28 PM »

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
I would have preferred if the game was about Rose and her compatriots' journey.

That's THE understatement for the game.  To me, Rose was the main character.  Didn't she even get the most powerful weapon near the end of the game?  Her and the Dragon Campaign of 11,000 years ago was so much more interesting than the whole Dart plot.  

I agree with the statement in Drexle's reader review of "story, why did you wait so damn long to actually show some depth?"

I found the music hit or miss.  When Dennis Martin's compositions were good, they were really good.  When they were bad, they were really bad.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »

LoD had quite possibly the worst sound track ever. Absolutely shitty battle music, with terrible synth choices... very empty with no emotion. Reminded me of a mediocre techno tune with half of the tracks muted.

That said, FF8 had one of the finest sound tracks ever, and remains one of my favorite games. Fuck everyone who thinks differently than me ;)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »

come on guys, i have to admit that its not the best game ever, but it was worth playing it. to say it is a bad rpg hmm i dont know, i liked it more than ff12 or lost odysey for example.

well and look at the fact that sony has no exp in creating rpgs.

all in all i still keep it in my top 20

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 10:26:06 PM »

Quote from: "alonso"
well and look at the fact that sony has no exp in creating rpgs.

It was a blatant cash in on FF7 and it was still majorly flawed in a lot of fundamental ways.  A lot of people like the game for some reason I'll never personally fathom, but personal opinions are personal opinions.  The fact they had little experience is an argument I do not like to see because it's more often the company with a new vision that ends up being a title I like anyway, since they aren't really hampered by expectations from the fans of the series  (one reason I liked FF12 so much, for example, was because it was very unlike what the modern series had become, to the point I had almost passed up on it entirely because I was so disenchanted with the direction of the series).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: