Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 07:51:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340840 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Ninja Gaiden II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ninja Gaiden II  (Read 3600 times)
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

October 1

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »

Just finished the demo.  They censored the hell out of this game.  Even though the cutscenes sucked on the 360 version, they suck even worse than ever now that simple action sequences where enemies get a shuriken to the throat or a dragon sword through their torso doesn't even garner a single drop of blood.  This is Mortal Kombat on the SNES levels of censorship.  Why the hell does this game still have a mature rating?  Feels pretty PG-13 to me, at most.

During gameplay, there is a little blood, but it's so miniscule that it may as well not even be there.  I don't understand why they went to this degree of removing it.  The amount on the 360 was outrageous, but that pretty much applied to the whole game, really.  It may seem petty, but I feel as though a lot of the game's character has been removed with the lack of gore.  After playing, I don't feel satisfied.  When you're performing obliteration moves and taking off limbs, not seeing lots of blood ends up being distracting, and disappointing.  Meh.

Oh well.  Guess I'll go back to playing some Hot Shots Golf.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:51:56 PM by Parn » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »

It's weird, I thought there would be less blood but virtually none? WTF? Anyway, it's a good game but I'm just not into this kind of stuff anymore.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

I don't mind if they go down to more realistic levels of gore and blood - I actually prefer it - but to just scrub out almost all blood? It's probably for a D rating in Japan rather than Z.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »

I think this is better shown with video footage.

Xbox 360:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bj45qo_yWw&fmt=18#t=1m22s

During the cutscene, you see lots of blood, and when Ryu slices the guy with his sword across the torso, the top half slides off.  While excessive, the gore is part of the gruesome atmosphere.

Now, cue the PS3 version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzs-8vSH_Js&fmt=18#t=1m22s

Here, the same cutscene lacks any impact.  Ryu slices the guy the same way, but he just falls over in a generic fashion with no sign of blood.  This is like some ten year old's censored edition of Ninja Gaiden 2.  It's like playing a modern Final Fantasy game, but removing any of the spectacular effects from casting magic and using special moves.  Sure, the gameplay is still intact, but the presentation is affected, which ultimately can affect enjoyment.

I'm actually hoping there's an option in the menus to activate the gore, because otherwise I'm definitely giving this one a miss.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 05:37:02 PM »

I had fun with the demo. Lots of cool weapons to play around with. It's a fun game but my next buy is uncharted 2.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

I can overlook the toned down blood, for the fact that they added a shiatload of other things in the game.

I was playing some of the Team Mission online with a friend last night. It was a pretty fun time. Though, I probably won't do it again until I unlock Momiji for use. <3

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 02:18:42 AM »

I can overlook the toned down blood, for the fact that they added a shiatload of other things in the game.

I was going to ask about that. I'm disappointed they censored the game, but from what I've heard about all the extras, and the rebalancing of the game, it sounds like it's worth picking up.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: