Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330183 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RIZ-ZOAWD -- Wizard of Oz + Wild Arms developers!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RIZ-ZOAWD -- Wizard of Oz + Wild Arms developers!  (Read 6466 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:44 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

I'm actually more concerned that... well, that overhead perspective, apparently fixed camera, and Crash Bandicoot-esque uber-narrow area designs... That's not good. That wasn't a sentence, either, but you get my drift.

This could be problematic, but considering Dorothy follows a pretty distinct trail (the yellow-brick road) it might make sense to do the Bandicoot-style paths. Of course there will be some open areas, like the poppy-field. :)

And, reading over the posts ... I share DR's sentiments. I'd very much prefer it if this game followed the books over the movie(s). If the game is just a simple re-telling of the film, there may not be enough content for a whole RPG. What'd be really nice is if, in this one DS cartridge, we get "chapters" that keep the game going. In my mind, the entire Wicked Witch of the West plot arc could be like an extended intro, maybe the first 1/3 of the game, and the rest would give us a boatload more of Oz to discover. :)

Ramza

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 12:39:08 AM »

I'm more concerned (if WA developers are involved) of "cheese" making its way into the script... oddly enough.  Gameplay (I'd like to think/hope) is in good hands with this team.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 12:53:08 AM »

Hell, I'm watching iot just for being a Wizard of Oz RPG.  The fact that the WA team is behind the development (not to mention that Naruke is providing music) is just icing.  Definitely loking forward to more.

It just occurred to me that I'd never read the books. >_>

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

I must be the only person in the world to not like the Wizard of Oz. I hated the movie when I was a little kid (I probably watched it last over 10 years ago) and hated the book when I was forced to read it in 6th grade.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 05:02:40 AM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
How would that be a shitty battle system? Essentially it would be like any turn based system except without any character animations, effects etc. Etrian Odyssey basically uses that POV system and the game still is pretty fun to say the least. Anyway, the game looks interesting to me.

In this day and age, it seems like a real cop-out to have a battle screen where you just see stationary drawings of the enemy, and your characters are never rendered onscreen. Yeah, Etrian Odyssey did it, but I didn't purchase that game, citing the battle system as one of the many reasons for doing so. I know graphics tend to be more important to some people than they are to others, but looking at the non-battle screens versus the battle ones, it seems like fighting in this game received a graphical downgrade from simply exploring.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 10:50:21 PM »

Actually, I wonder if those are animated in battle. EO is kind of a low budget RPG but this looks to have more put into it. Heck, those might even be 3D models in battle there.

Personally, I'm more worried about the control. Going through Gast's story mentions an emphasis on being button-free, and even if it's just movement/camera that gives me pause. The controls weren't a big problem for Phantom Hourglass and the Ninja Gaiden DS demo was way more fun than I expected it to be, but then those had you going where you tapped, not using a virtual trackball or anything like that.
imedos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »

The game looks pretty from the shots.  Kinda makes me think of Chrono Cross for some reason.

It may end up being a gem, but I doubt this will be a commercial success.  I wasn't scared off by KH, but I'm a lil leary of this.  Wait and see, hope for the best.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »

THREAD RESURRECTION!

http://www.d3p.co.jp/riz/

Official site is up, with content. Beautiful art, great song (undoubtedly a Sakimoto contribution), some stuff written in Japanese.

Super happy!!!!

Ramza

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »

the concept is interesting but the DQ'esque battle system kills it. i mean its ok if its like DQ8 or ps4 where you actually see your characters perform the attacks. but if an attack results in a slashmark on the enemy then that is lame.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 02:43:53 PM »

What's a "charactor"? >_>
Looks a bit weird to me, but still interesting. That scarecrow is terrifying.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »

What I can get from the website is:

Art is nice..colorful & fitting to the source, an' all that

((MUSIC MAKE YOU LOSE CONTROL)) I effin' loves dat Sakimoto.

Biggiantgreendude looks badahzz. Must be the Oz's avatar (or whatever that floaty head thing in the movie was).

Yeah, I ain't so astute. Wish I could read Japanese/kanji/whateverthefuck

Never read the books, not a big fan of the 1939 movie, though I liked what I remember of the Fairuza Balk one, still... I'm strangely really excited about this game.

Also, I just played WA4, after shying away from it on account of all the hate it got, and it definitely did have great gameplay for the most part(the lack of freedom kinda bugged me). The hex battle system is the best thing that happened to WA. Maybe that will bode well for the gameplay aspect. Crossing my fingers, anyway.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 01:12:16 AM »

Without a doubt, its beautiful and appealing.  I'm more interested in guy's thoughts though; if the art (and especially dealing with a timeless musical) works with them as well as females.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2008, 01:27:06 AM »

Yeah, hadn't thought of that, maybe this would be embarassing for alot of dudes to play. I'm no priss, myself but I did like Rhapsody...

I'm gonna send a link to my broza, the manliest manly man ever. Then I'll know for sure. Hwah hwah.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »

I'll play it. I'm not afraid to admit that I love the 1939 movie. It's a freakin classic.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »

I think Wizard of Oz kinda transcends the whole "musicals-are-for-girls" thing. Pretty much everyone has seen it a million times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: