Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 01:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330205 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  10 essential games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 10 essential games  (Read 3531 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:09:42 AM »

Just curious about this. Doesn't have to be your top ten, just ten games that you believe people should play. Games you think could turn a non gamer into a gamer or casual into hardcore. These are intended to be your picks for classic games, the quintessential representatives or noteworthy deviations of their particular genre.

Stipulations: no more than three games in a single genre, and you must provide some reasoning behind each choice. If a game has already been picked, you can expand on support in favor of the game, but I'm hoping for no overlap in reasoning. So if you can't think of an original reason, pick another game.

It's quite late here and I work early, so I will create my list tomorrow.

Discuss!

[/url]
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:50:46 AM »

Super Metroid. It created the platforming adventure genre. And it kicks sooo much ass.

That's all.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:59 AM »

Chrono Trigger
cos it perfected the genre, before the genre fucked itself up again...

Goldeneye
introduced FPS to the console public

FF7
created the now cliched FMV heavy JRPG

i really can't think of many "essential" gaming

i bet many will post favourite games, but not necessary "essential" to gaming...
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:26:55 AM »

Katamari Damacy.  It's gotten a good number of "non-gamer" friends of mine interested in our little hobby.  The control scheme is very simple; easy to learn, but difficult to master.  Combined with addictive gameplay and a great soundtrack, it's a modern classic.

Dance Dance Revolution.  For mainly all of the same reasons as stated above.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 02:29:08 AM »

01. Chrono Trigger, for the single best all-around experience you can get in RPGs.

02. Lords of Thunder, for the single best all-around shooter experience you can find. Plus its soundtrack beats the tar, snot, shit, and piss out of every other shooter out there.

03. Shining Force III, because it defined the quality SRPG and mixed it up with three different viewpoints and a wide range of excellent characters.

04. Paper Mario, the casual gamer's RPG, because it features one of the best presentations ever created in gaming and was one of the first games to fully explore its own world in a satirical way.

05. Virtua Fighter 5, because it features the most technically perfect system of any title in its genre yet created, one which newbies can't just button-mash their way through.

06. Metal Gear Solid 3, because it's the definitive Metal Gear experience and also one of the best stealth-action games thus far created.

07. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, because it will give some of the best times of your life with gamer friends, even when you're hundreds of miles apart.

08. Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, because it's one of the best-told, best-executed crossover products in history.

09. Star Control II, for being one of best, non-linear gaming experiences in existence, with some of the quirkiest dialogue ever written.

10. Super Mario World 2, because it was the way in which the Universe brought a new level of happiness into the world.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 02:53:48 AM »

Final Fantasy Tactics- One of the best stories ever in a video game with absolutely terrific gameplay and a fantastic soundtrack.

Resident Evil 4- Redifined third person action games and has been ripped off of way to many times already, even though the game is only 3-4 years old.

Metal Gear Solid- Made stealth action popular and relevant in 3-D.

Super Mario World- Mario dominates, and this gets my pick as the best of the platformers.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time- Sets the blueprint for 3-D action adventure done right.

Final Fantasy 7- Made RPG's popular and was truly a stunning game when it came out.

Super Metroid- same reason as Pat.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl- Absolutely the most fun I have ever had with 4 players.

Metal Gear Solid 4- Truly cinematic storytelling in a game with entertaining gameplay.

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past- The best 2-D action adventure game ever and my favorite Zelda game.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:34:41 AM »

Need For Speed High Stakes - good controls, decent graphics, great soundtrack, Fun To Play. Never played a better racer.

GTA 3 - Despite it showing its age, it's still the best example of the 3D GTA series, with the best story and voice acting.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence - I agree with Hidoshi but the Subsistance camera is what makes all the difference

Ico - Strikingly original, like a visual representation (to me) of the old Zork games, where you just explored. Perfect for new players or for the casual "Myst lover" types.

Katamari Damacy - I agree with Shiguma.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - A nice alternative to show people that games aren't all about shooting hookers and running over people. A solid translation and interesting characters actually make this something people want to keep playing.

Grandia - A fairly soft introduction to RPGs that's not too difficult, an easy battle system to learn and doesn't require *too* much grinding. A good gateway drug for RPG novices.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:14:09 AM »

I donít think I could properly do a top ten. Iíve only owned one console each generation and Iíve never been much of a PC gamer, so I think any list I could make just wouldn't really hold up at all.

The only game I could add that might not get mentioned is Another World (known as Out of this World in the U.S). It opened up my 10-year-old eyes to the idea that videogames could be art, and just fascinated me every time I played it. By todayís standards it would probably be considered cheap (just for the sheer number of ways the game can kill you), but I still think itís an amazingly designed game.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »

05. Virtua Fighter 5, because it features the most technically perfect system of any title in its genre yet created, one which newbies can't just button-mash their way through.

wahow let's not get carried away. Button mashing is hardly the biggest threat in a tournament scenario, stuff like Lei Fei's frame data is downright unnerving at times though (not that eileen isn't monstrous in her own right) The juggling isn't anywhere near as lame as Tekken's though (save VF4) thank god.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »

Megaman 2 is the greatest game ever made.

Skies of Arcadia, because it's polished, and the first full-3D RPG I actually had fun with, but also because it's a good intro game.  Mad skizzles not required.

Lego Star Wars, because you can have an experience with Episodes 1-3 that doesn't suck.

Much as I hate to admit it, I can't think of ten right now because I've been gaming very little lately.  :-(

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:23:37 PM »

Quote from: "Takezo"

wahow let's not get carried away. Button mashing is hardly the biggest threat in a tournament scenario, stuff like Lei Fei's frame data is downright unnerving at times though (not that eileen isn't monstrous in her own right) The juggling isn't anywhere near as lame as Tekken's though (save VF4) thank god.

Framecounters be damned. VF5 (and all VFs save perhaps 3) is the most technically accurate fighter around. I've never seen a good VF player clowned by some newbie who button mashes, unlike Tekken or Soul Calibur where said event is de rigeur.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »

Rez and Electroplankton. IMO, perhaps the only two games ever made that can rightfully be called art (although I haven't played Another World, so don't hurt me AJR :P ).
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »

The first game that comes to my head is Okami. It's pure genious and I think just about anyone can enjoy it on some level. Probably the best game to come out in the last five years.

I'm shocked that I was the first to mention it:p

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

I'll have to think of this by genre:

Puzzle- Tetris.  That is if virtually everyone in the world with access to electricity hasn't already played it.  It's the granddaddy of all puzzle games and regardless of whether you're 6 or 60, gamer or nongamer, man or woman, whatever, the game is digital crack.  

RPG- This is a tough one since it's a genre I know so well.  I guess Planescape: Torment since video game storytelling does not get much better than it.  People who play RPGs typically aren't novice gamers, so I don't feel bad picking a somewhat complex title as essential RPGing.  

Adventure- Zelda: Link to the Past.  My mom is anything but a gamer (she sometimes plays Bejeweled, Yahtzee, and stuff like that) but back in the NES days, she played Legend of Zelda almost as much as I did.  And LttP is IMO the best Zelda.  2D isn't disorienting like 3D is for many people.  

Graphic Adventure- Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars.  I could easily put Grim Fandango or The Longest Journey in there, but Broken Sword is exemplary in all areas.  Even the GBA version has amazing graphics and sound.  Puzzles that make sense and a killer storyline make Broken Sword a truly engrossing adventure and IMO the best example of the genre.  

Fighting- Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.  Betcha thought I'd say Tekken, eh?  But MvC 2 is so much fun.  Not only is it a fairly deep fighter that's also easy to pick up, but it has incredible crossover appeal.  When people see Captain America or Spiderman on the screen, they'll all say "ooh!  I wanna play!"  I've probably spent more hours on MvC 2 than any other fighter and whenever I have friends pop in to play, that's always the game they want to play.  

Racing- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.  I don't care who you are, running from the cops in cars you'll never be able to afford is fun.  It's more arcadey than the more sim-like Gran Turismo, but fun is fun and the cars do handle differently.  High Stakes would have been my pick, were it not for the frame rate issues, because not only did it have Hot Pursuit mode, but you could be the cop as well.  

Music- Rock Band.  Ultimate party game that lets people live out their dream of being virtual rock stars.  

FPS- Doom.  Sure nowadays we have FPS games like Half-Life 2, Halo, Crysis, Gears of War and others, but the Doom series was always my favorite.  Fun, sometimes frustrating, and a fairly near-universally played FPS.  Quake was pretty awesome too, but Doom is "it" for me in this genre.  

Sports- Tecmo Bowl.  I don't even like American football, yet I always loved playing Tecmo Bowl.  Sports games nowadays are too freaking complex; I don't want to have to do a 13-button combination just to pass the damn ball.  The only thing Tecmo Bowl has going against it are the dated graphics, but once you start playing, it doesn't matter.  

Platforming- Super Mario Bros. 3.  Very few 8-bit games have aged as well as this and Tecmo Bowl.  Even now, the game is fun and not too hard on the eyes either.

Honorable mentions: Katamari Damacy (as Shig mentioned), Anachronox (I think all JRPG fans should give this game a spin.  So good.  It's become one of my favorite JRPGs, and it's not even Japanese), Panzer Dragoon Saga (reportedly one of the best JRPGs that nobody played), Fallout 1 and 2 (do I even need to say why?).

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »

10 + 9: Super Metroid, Metroid Prime. Super Metroid perfected the idea of an exploration game, having a totally excellent balance of risk vs. reward and a level design so exquisite that players today are still finding new ways to get through the game. It was the first truly ambient game I've ever played, and today is seconded only to Metroid Prime, its 3D successor that proved a shooting game doesn't really have to be a shooter. They're both very cerebral experiences and the rewards they grant to you for exploring the world the developers have created are more than enough incentive for players to delve deeper into whatever planet they've found themselves on.

8: Ocarina of Time. In my opinion, this is the very first game to prove that 3D gameplay was a viable successor to isometric gameplay. Again, it provides a steady flow of hidden items, some of which are easily stumbled upon and some which require some lateral thinking. Like Metroid, many power ups are in the player's sight, but the path to reach them is not always readily apparent. These puzzles are addicting and add a welcome element of inventory rewards to a game which uses puzzles mainly to progress through dungeons. It's not quite as good as Metroid in this regard, but it's much better than many other games out there.

7: Super Mario Bros. An absolute gem, and a game that's fun no matter how many times you play through it. The levels and sounds are iconic, and the gameplay is solid to this day. It's noteworthy for establishing Nintendo as a real powerhouse in gaming and creating a pop culture icon that's spawned dozens and dozens of spin-offs and sequels. Again, like Zelda and Metroid, it takes advantage of the medium and rewards players for exploration, perhaps even one-upping the other two franchises by allowing players to skip entire sections of the game if they "break" out the boundaries most gamers assume are imposed upon them.

6: Super Mario Galaxy. One of the most remarkable games I've ever played. The entire game is a celebration of what makes games fun, with lights and sounds that evoke a real sense of wonder and imagination. The creativity shown by its level design is second to none, and not likely to be topped for some time to come. The camera is excellent, which would appeal to new gamers who may be uncomfortable with forced perspective as it is found in other games.

5: Final Fantasy 9. In my opinion, the most accessible of the post 16-bit Final Fantasies. It's got a setting most people can recognize (a medieval, fantasy style rife with knights, wizards, and dragons) and is what I'd consider to be Square's "Disney movie." The characters are expressive and memorable and the tunes are among the series' best. Gameplay is simple but addictive, and the skill system is quicker and easier to understand than FF7's materia or FF8's junctions.

4: Halo. Before Halo, most console shooters were a joke. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were the two exceptions. After Halo, both those two games joined up with the rest of the console FPS crew in the shitbin. Halo gave gamers huge backdrops, massive, multi-layered battles, memorable set pieces, an instantly iconic character, and so many little details that fans were finding new details to wonder and laugh at for years after its release. Its two-weapon system simplified combat by allowing quick weapon exchanges mid-battle while accommodating the restrictions of a console FPS. Its multiplayer was simply unmatched on consoles, its campaign was as rousing as its score, and the entire experience is one that is justifiably regarded as one of the best in the biz. Whenever I think of social gaming, I think Halo and its cacophony of light and sound.

3. Bioshock. Many graphic adventures have told stories in such a way that the player and the protagonist have information revealed to them simultaneously. Metroid Prime did something similar, with its logs relating to the player past events that slowly pieced the story together as more were revealed. Bioshock takes these ideas and perfects them in a way that is, perhaps more than any other game, fitting of the medium and representative of fine storytelling as a whole. The plot of Bioshock could not have the same impact if it was a book or a film, and for that, it needs to be played. It takes gaming conventions, things most gamers have come to take for granted, menial, mindless tasks, and turned them into something that really explores the relationship between freedom and consequence.

2. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Riddick is the finest film-to-game conversion ever made. It's the title that put developer Starbreeze on the map and one that begs to be played by anyone with even a passing interest in playing games with a truly original, engrossing world. It is one of the finest looking games of last-gen, with fantastic voice acting and a first-person melee system that is almost unrivaled as of today. In my opinion it is the only FPS to do stealth properly, and unlike most games which use the idea, its play between light and shadow was well thought out and worked to make it a better experience.

1. Okami. One of the few games that truly stand out as an artistic achievement, Okami is one of a select group of games I will always remember playing through. A simple but engrossing plot, coupled with innovative, interesting gameplay and a steady progression in the player's interaction with the world really helps to draw gamers in. It's not on par with Zelda in terms of combat or enemy design, but its celestial brush mechanic sets it clearly apart from Zelda and Zelda clones as a wholly unique experience.

[/url]
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: