Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:09:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  10 essential games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 10 essential games  (Read 3532 times)
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Quote from: "Takezo"
05. Virtua Fighter 5, because it features the most technically perfect system of any title in its genre yet created, one which newbies can't just button-mash their way through.

wahow let's not get carried away. Button mashing is hardly the biggest threat in a tournament scenario, stuff like Lei Fei's frame data is downright unnerving at times though (not that eileen isn't monstrous in her own right) The juggling isn't anywhere near as lame as Tekken's though (save VF4) thank god.

Framecounters be damned. VF5 (and all VFs save perhaps 3) is the most technically accurate fighter around. I've never seen a good VF player clowned by some newbie who button mashes, unlike Tekken or Soul Calibur where said event is de rigeur.

agreed with this one (i can't believe i forgot VF on my "list")
probably the only 3D fighter to get me interested, as I prefer 2D (which is generally "anti-button-mashy")
a game this precise is a testament to well made fighting games, not deluded in just appeasing the mass crowd (with cool character and big breasted girls - looks in SC's direction)
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:25 AM »

unlike Tekken or Soul Calibur where said event is de rigeur.

Yeah if you play with scrubs this will happen. Idiots can turn any fighter into "press buttons furiously until someones bar is gone, i mean get a load of newbs who insist that "they never block" so I'm all for skipping this as meaningful criteria tbh.

You want to have a discussion about something (that only you get to define) like technical accuracy but not system exploits and priority? This is going to go places.

The most finely balanced game is Hokuto No ken. Everyone knows it.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 12:37:57 PM »

The thing with VF that dispenses with that is the amount of reversals available though. Where turtling works in most games, VF /gives/ you ways to get around it almost directly, and then ways to reverse that, etc etc. That system simply doesn't exist in most other fighters. The other thing is how timely most of the system is, in the same way SFA3 can be. There's a way to block, reverse, or deflect nearly everything, and this more or less destroys the scrub factor.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: