Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 03:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319721 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of the Abyss confirmed for U.S.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss confirmed for U.S.  (Read 9327 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 06:22:47 PM »

Mm, sour grapes.  Delish.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »

Quote from: "Bogatyr"
Wait up, wasn't everyone complaining they are milking the Tales series with sub par games lately? What's so exciting then?
Before anyone say anything, I do remember when they announced 5 - don't remember the exact number - Tales games at once, some months ago, and there was a thread where everyone was cursing Namco and making fun of their title names.

To be fair, the story back then was about trademarks Namco had registered, so it was not like they held a press conference and announced all those games at the same time. In fact, Namco usually does announce Tales games one by one. But of course you are right, they have been milking the series. Tales of Destiny 2, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Rebirth, Tales of Legendia and Tales of the Abyss makes five games for PlayStation 2 alone, in a matter of three years no less. This rapid production and release of new installments of any one series even poses a challenge to the Japanese kings of ports and sequels, Capcom :P.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 06:32:53 PM »

Mm, sour grapes. Delish.

Not really. As a matter of fact, I did enjoy the news. But then I did not take part in Namco bashing before because of that. ;)

Professor Gast,

I see, thanks for yet another explanation.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 06:38:25 PM »

It sounds like TotA is the gem amongst all these titles, seeing as how Ash hasn't been favorable of recent installments yet fucking /loved/ this. That, and the fact it's from the Symphonia team is why we're all interested. :P
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 09:11:13 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
It sounds like TotA is the gem amongst all these titles, seeing as how Ash hasn't been favorable of recent installments yet fucking /loved/ this. That, and the fact it's from the Symphonia team is why we're all interested. :P

Various importers say it ranks amongst the best of the series.

Interesting fact; the OST seems to go out of their way to tell you which composer did which song (Sakuraba is back, with Tamura).
...IMO, Tamura shoulda been dropped, Sakuraba does great with this one, it sounds a lot like Baten Kaitos' work.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2006, 12:50:25 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

I have heard that the same thing about this game.  I think this game and Rebirth were both considered among the more superior of Tales titles.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 03:32:36 AM »

Interesting fact; the OST seems to go out of their way to tell you which composer did which song (Sakuraba is back, with Tamura).
...IMO, Tamura shoulda been dropped, Sakuraba does great with this one, it sounds a lot like Baten Kaitos' work.

*ahem* sounds like SOMEONE should do a reader review of the soundtrack...

Yeah I've heard some samples of the OST...it does sound like Sakuraba's BK stuff, which is great since too many of his other OSTs sound EXACTLY THE SAME. The BK style is new and refreshing, and I don't mind if he milks it until I want the Star Ocean / Valkyrie Profile sound back. ^^

Ramza

Citan

jfdumoulin@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 05:08:07 AM »

Best news of the year thus far, as far as I'm concerned. I enjoyed Eternia and Symphonia quite a lot so I'M glad we'll see even more Tales goodness this year (THREE Tales games in a year? Damn we're lucky :p )
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »

Wait up, wasn't everyone complaining they are milking the Tales series with sub par games lately? What's so exciting then?

Solipsism and forgetfulness?

More importantly, what's with all the Sakuraba love? SO3's soundtrack was incredibly mundane hair metal. Tales of Symphony, while having strong compositions, sounds like it was played entirely on someone's Casia keyboard they got for 200 dollars at Walmart.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 08:40:15 PM »

All of Sakuraba's music sounds like the exact same tune.  I mean...  He does it well, but when he only does the ONE SONG over and over again...  I mean, I have even heard some of his old solo Prog stuff and it sounds like it could be taken right out of VP or SO.  ...And this album is from, like, the 80's!

I mean, Jesus.  No growth in decades of writing music does not make for a musician to be remembered.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2006, 04:11:48 PM »

i avoided tales of legendia because it looks like shit graphically. so im happy this one is coming over.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 08:34:51 PM »

I have played Tales of the Abyss, and the difficulty level for normal mode is kinda pathetic.  To me, difficulty is a huge thing.  If the game were more challenging, then I could find myself enjoying it a lot more, as button mashing difficulties are not my thing (one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Tales of Legendia, Tales of Symphonia, and the battle system of Radiata Stories (sorry Tria)).
SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2006, 11:42:52 AM »

I wonder when the release date will be. I hope it's not around a week or 2 before Final Fantasy XII comes out.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2006, 04:21:11 PM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
I have played Tales of the Abyss, and the difficulty level for normal mode is kinda pathetic.  To me, difficulty is a huge thing.  If the game were more challenging, then I could find myself enjoying it a lot more, as button mashing difficulties are not my thing (one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Tales of Legendia, Tales of Symphonia, and the battle system of Radiata Stories (sorry Tria)).

Maybe you're just really good at these kinds of games?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2006, 07:25:06 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i avoided tales of legendia because it looks like shit graphically. so im happy this one is coming over.

I'd say "thats the spirit!"  But that certainly isn't the spirit. =/
Graphically, I personally found the game quite beautiful, utilizing colours for what theyre worth.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: