Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:15:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334846 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of the Abyss confirmed for U.S.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Tales of the Abyss confirmed for U.S.  (Read 10136 times)
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 08:12:21 PM »

Quote from: "MonCapitan2002"
Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
I have played Tales of the Abyss, and the difficulty level for normal mode is kinda pathetic.  To me, difficulty is a huge thing.  If the game were more challenging, then I could find myself enjoying it a lot more, as button mashing difficulties are not my thing (one of the reasons why I absolutely hated Tales of Legendia, Tales of Symphonia, and the battle system of Radiata Stories (sorry Tria)).

Maybe you're just really good at these kinds of games?

Hmmm...Maybe.  I grew up with Real-Time RPGs, so I guess that is why I find games like the Star Ocean series, Seiken Densetsu series, and Tales series pretty easy.  I am okay at Turn-Based RPGs.  I completely suck at Strategy RPGs. XD  My favorite sub-genre of RPG is Real-Time, so I suppose that is why I am better at it than I am with Turn-Based, Strategy, etc.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2006, 01:16:21 AM »

See?  I find the Tales to be somewhere in the middle in terms of difficulty.  I like the actiony gameplay and the fact that it isn't too difficult.  I think for the most part, the real time combat in such RPG's should not be racheted too high.

SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 12:31:58 PM »

Most Tales games are normally easy.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:19 PM »

Imagine if Breath of Fire V had a difficulty setting.  Normal, Merciless, and Impossible.

Most RPGs are easy, fortunately they've been attaching difficulty settings lately. There is usually this heirarchy of games (IMO):
Turnbased-  Easy
Realtime
Strategy- Hard

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »

Wow, so I'll finally get to see what all the hype over Tales of the Abyss is about?  Yay!

Well okay, it's mostly about the hype.  From what few screenshots and character designs I've seen, this does look very interesting.

*starts planning preorder campaign again*

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2006, 07:13:57 PM »

So, where this "Ash review" can be found anyway?
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2006, 08:48:06 PM »

Ashton writes for GamesAreFun.com.

I dunno, I wasn't grabbed when I played the Japanese version of Tales of the Abyss.  Maybe when I play it in English.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2006, 03:38:40 AM »

You can see my review here.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »

Thanks, but just so I can measure the value of the maximum grade you gave to Tales of the Abyss, how much do you enjoy the rest of the series?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »

Do you want me to give a general statement or on each game? If the latter I'll give some thoughts on each entry I've played and a cliff's notes score.

Tales of Phantasia SNES - I enjoyed it but only because I was new to the Tales series. 5/10
Tales of Phantasia GBA - Hated it
Tales of Phantasia PSX - Wish they had translated it. 7/10
Tales of Destiny - Liked it enough to play all the way through. 7/10
Tales of Eternia - This was where I really started liking the series. 8/10
Tales of Destiny 2 - The battle system was a little broken, and the story was complete shit, but it was a fun diversion. 7/10
Tales of Symphonia - I still say it's the best game on GameCube
Tales of Rebirth - An acquired taste, the battle system is kinda weird at the beginning but I loved the game. 9/10
Tales of Legendia - They went and took a step back, but it was still okay.
Tales of the Abyss - I used to consider Symphonia the pinnacle of the series, but you can see my review above.

As a general sense, I think you could consider me a fan of the series even though my scores for each game probably don't reflect that - I tend to ignore problems in the games if they're small, but I do have my limits (Phantasia GBA sucked all around and Legendia's battle mechanics and graphics were atrocious). I can say without exaggeration that Abyss is probably the pinnacle of the series; there's no downgrade from previous entries, and the battle system isn't some weird funky thing you have to get used to like Rebirth. Think of the battle system as similar to Symphonia's except much more refined.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2006, 06:12:44 PM »

Ok, thanks a lot. It seems like a great game, even more so because I love challenging RPGs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: