Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2015, 06:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362933 Posts in 14733 Topics by 2285 Members
Latest Member: Moseng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Archeage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Archeage  (Read 141 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »

Is anyone else playing this free mmo? It is an interesting mix of pve and pvp, with a huge focus on the latter later in the game.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
ScottC
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »

I did at launch for a while but I stopped about a month later.  A lot of people just stopped playing when they realized it just took to much grind to get the things you wanted.  But that is just par the course for Korean MMOs.

My favorite part was PKing people doing a trade delivery then taking their pack and dumping it into a river or ocean and letting it despawn.  Yes I could have completed the delivery myself and got the money but there was no fun in that.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »

I did at launch for a while but I stopped about a month later.  A lot of people just stopped playing when they realized it just took to much grind to get the things you wanted.  But that is just par the course for Korean MMOs.

My favorite part was PKing people doing a trade delivery then taking their pack and dumping it into a river or ocean and letting it despawn.  Yes I could have completed the delivery myself and got the money but there was no fun in that.
That was a part of it but XLgames, and Trion did a good job themselves of killing off of this game's userbase. It was never truly free to play. You could technically play ftp but I could not see you doing anything productive other then pirating/stealing tradepacks, and fishing as you got no offline labor generation and very little labor while being online. Nearly everything in the game cost labor that included opening drops and some quest rewards. You also needed patron to own land, but land was scarce most of the playerbase especially on the larger servers never owned more then a small amount. The hackers that used botting tools to grab land  did not help matters any either.....So many hacks and exploits it took Trion forever to even to start  prodding xlgames do anything about them and when they did it was either done half-assed or it broke something.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:35:37 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »

Actually you can play entirely free. You can buy Patron with credits which you can get from buying Apexs with gold from other players. You can then use those credits to get Patron.

It definitely had the potential to be a pay to win style game, but there isn't anything that game breaking sold in the marketplace It is mainly a way to get gold to buy better gear.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:45:22 PM »

Actually you can play entirely free. You can buy Patron with credits which you can get from buying Apexs with gold from other players. You can then use those credits to get Patron.

It definitely had the potential to be a pay to win style game, but there isn't anything that game breaking sold in the marketplace It is mainly a way to get gold to buy better gear.
Around the time I  quit last November patron was inflated to around 250 gold each on Kyrios server, and you needed 2 for a monthly sub. That is a considerable investment for a fresh ftp player when you are also going to have to chug labor pots (50 gold each)to make up for having almost no labor regen of your own. Sure it is an option but it definitely was going to be an uphill battle. It also just goes to show you that p2w means different things to different people. You could not directly buy gear, but if you were a whale it was pretty easy to out right make the gold needed to buy whatever you wanted using the cash shop. Some of the items placed in the cash shop wrecked the economy numerous times. The Rumbling Archeum Sapling which had high thundrstruck/archum dust chance. It pretty much made land in aurora useless as the only reason most people wanted land there that didn't have land to begin with was to plant trees there cause that continent had a considerably larger chance to proc thunderstrucks. It was also the only place you could get the water needed for archeum trees. Thunderstruck trees went from being  rare high priced commodities 1000-1800 gold to around 200.  The logs from the  thunderstruck trees were needed for endgame vehicles such as the merchant/ fishing boats, and the farm wagon.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: