Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327212 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Diablo 3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30 Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3?  (Read 61697 times)
Syn
Shenanigans

MisterDBarton
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: May 20, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

I was a casual D2 fan. I play through the game a few times, but never aspired to create "ultimate" builds or anything. I enjoyed the lore more than anything, but hearing about the always connected issues and such, is D3 worth it? Should I wait for it to go on sale for $20 or something? I also hear Torchlight 2 is better, but again, I enjoyed the lore in the Diablo series.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #361 on: May 20, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »

It's completely subjective. Torchlight II is very similar to what you'd get from a modern Diablo II. Diablo III is more of an evolution, and is certainly fun. Torch2 has more legs, but they're both worth playing for a casual experience.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: May 20, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »

D3 is/was a blast for a while, and I still go back from time to time to try(in vain) to find some kickass legendaries but its pretty stale at this point.  Without rambling, it needs an expansion badly. New class, campaign and game mechanics could make it D2 all over again. At least that's my opinion.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2013, 12:49:13 AM »

I've been playing Diablo 3 again this week while they've been giving the 25% XP and magic find bonuses for its (gasp) first birthday.

I am still occasionally grumpy about the always online stuff, but out of principle rather than it interfering with my gameplay.  (When it does, it's because I have crappy internet at home, not because of anything on Blizzard's end.)  I do enjoy it, and Syn, it sounds like you and I play the game in the same way.  I remember that last fall, they released a trial version that lets you play through the first act free - it's definitely worth the download to try it out.

That said, I'd love to see an expansion.  That made a HUGE difference in D2.

Here's the crazy thing - when it comes out for PS3, I'll probably buy it.  My wife loved Diablo 2, and I really like the idea of being able to play together on the same screen.  Plus, we always liked the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (and similar) games, and I think the PS3 version will kind of feel like that.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »

Call me a nay-sayer, but I don't think this will happen.
While Diablo 2 was lacking fluff, which it got with the expansion, it had a great foundation for the gameplay.
Diablo 3 on the other hand has a very weak foundation that unless they completely tear it apart and redo it... it won't improve by adding fluff.

One thing I can foretell about the expansion is that they'll add new gear that will make anything in vanilla garbage (like WoW and new content).
Syn
Shenanigans

MisterDBarton
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »

I've been playing Diablo 3 again this week while they've been giving the 25% XP and magic find bonuses for its (gasp) first birthday.

I am still occasionally grumpy about the always online stuff, but out of principle rather than it interfering with my gameplay.  (When it does, it's because I have crappy internet at home, not because of anything on Blizzard's end.)  I do enjoy it, and Syn, it sounds like you and I play the game in the same way.  I remember that last fall, they released a trial version that lets you play through the first act free - it's definitely worth the download to try it out.

That said, I'd love to see an expansion.  That made a HUGE difference in D2.

Here's the crazy thing - when it comes out for PS3, I'll probably buy it.  My wife loved Diablo 2, and I really like the idea of being able to play together on the same screen.  Plus, we always liked the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (and similar) games, and I think the PS3 version will kind of feel like that.
I absolutely loved Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance. Many a night spent playing that with friends back in college :D I think I'll wait for it to go on sale. I'm frugal so I hardly ever pay full price for a game, especially with all of the negativity (not necessarily bad) surrounding the game. Honestly, had they just given D2 an HD-like makeover, I probably would have been sold :P
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »

Well hey, like I said, there's a free demo, so it doesn't get cheaper than that if you're not sure how you'll feel about it. :)

And hooray for me - I finally found my way to Whimsyshire! :)

—Kurt Vonnegut
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 22, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »

It's completely subjective. Torchlight II is very similar to what you'd get from a modern Diablo II. Diablo III is more of an evolution, and is certainly fun. Torch2 has more legs, but they're both worth playing for a casual experience.

+1
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2013, 01:34:11 PM »

I like the lame pre-order bonuses. They remind me of the SImpson's episode where they talked about collecting Malibu Stacy dolls and the ad for the new doll said "Maliubu Stacy - Now with new hat!!!". lol
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 11, 2013, 01:40:48 PM »

Some of them definitely are, like the wings and the dyes.  But a +Exp hat you can wear at level 1 would be helpful.  I wish they'd offered a bit more detail on the PS3 exclusives, but I thought it was interesting that they gave a level 60 ring.  I just got my first char to level 60 on PC (I don't get to play often), and given his equipment, that ring had better be pretty awesome for me to save it in my stash for 60 levels.

You know, I just realized that I've never changed my avatar in all the years I've been at this site.  Maybe it's time my necromancer became a witch doctor...

—Kurt Vonnegut
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: June 11, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

Lack of new content is probably why I quit the game at the beginning of the year. Still nothing news related on the expansion. I guess their focus is on consoles right now.

Playing: FFXIII-Lightning Returns (PS3) and Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: June 12, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »

I expect to hear expansion news at Blizzcon for sure. But that's in November..I think?

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
OrsonFury

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: August 22, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

For anyone interested that hasn't read the story on the homepage today: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Expansion Announced http://rpgfan.com/news/2013/1674.html.

Thoughts? Personally, I was a little disappointed that only one bonus character class was announced: The Crusader. There had been speculation that the paladin would return after some rumors surfaced. The Crusader has similar features of a paladin. For one he uses a shield and some techniques with that for offense. The story seems alright judging from the teaser/trailer. I like the fact that they're going darker with the art direction this time around.

I probably won't pick this up at launch, but will hold off for reviews and a mark down in the price. I just don't know if there will enough new content to bring me back to D3. I remember back in the day D2 had some very impressive expansions that really improved the gameplay of the game and greatly expanded the lifespan of the game as a whole.

Playing: FFXIII-Lightning Returns (PS3) and Mario Kart 8 (Wii U).
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: August 22, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

Loot 2.0 sounds like the absolute best solution to the AH problem and I am definitely planning on getting back into this game as soon as I finish my current run in Torchlight 2.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: August 22, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

If this allows the price of Diablo III to drop or create a 2014 Battle Chest of sorts to happen, then I will finally pull the trigger on Diablo III.  Probably. 

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: