Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 11:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341123 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Diablo 3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32 Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3?  (Read 73199 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »

Sucks for people like me who travel, though.  It means I can't play on the plane or other places where I want to kill time. :(

Not like I was going to buy it, but this is, as it is for every game, a seriously terrible idea.

I have trouble believing people would actually pay for a game that is deliberately gimped like this.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »

I can only hope that eventually they'll patch that shit out. Just like they eventually patched the CD requirements to play D2.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:15 PM »

Sucks for people like me who travel, though.  It means I can't play on the plane or other places where I want to kill time. :(

Not like I was going to buy it, but this is, as it is for every game, a seriously terrible idea.

I have trouble believing people would actually pay for a game that is deliberately gimped like this.

If they only care to play it multiplayer then it's mostly inconsequential. Sucks I can't mess around when the internet's down or they're doing maintenance, but it's not like it's what I'd spend most of my time alone anyway, unlike a game like Assassin's Creed II where it's pure bullshit. Helps that in this case it honestly may be more due to hacking and whatnot rather than just anti-piracy.

And I think I'll move this over to multiplayer.

EDIT: Actually, while the online-all-the-time thing is something I would prefer not being there, I feel like the trading thing is probably the worse of the two evils. That, and that fact it's probably why the game flat out doesn't allow mods or anything. I admittedly don't feel like I'm put off enough to NOT buy it, but if others I'd want to play with don't bother then I'll skip on this.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:03:55 PM by Eusis » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2011, 11:16:11 PM »

How is the trading thing evil at all?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »

How is the trading thing evil at all?

Because it puts a real price on items. Also, it makes in-game trade broken due to inflated ratios against real world money.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »

If they only care to play it multiplayer then it's mostly inconsequential. Sucks I can't mess around when the internet's down or they're doing maintenance, but it's not like it's what I'd spend most of my time alone anyway, unlike a game like Assassin's Creed II where it's pure bullshit. Helps that in this case it honestly may be more due to hacking and whatnot rather than just anti-piracy.

You're right to a degree, but it is still a bullshit policy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »

If I don't have internet access, I'm not leaning on my offline games or anything.  I'm scraping together money to get my connection back.

So like, fuck that.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:46 PM »

I still fail to see how that is in any way, shape or form "evil"

The price is something that will be set by the community not some random Blizzard overlord. I fail to see how giving general members of the community the chance to make some money from gear drops that other people can't get is more evil then those same people going to the oily dark underbelly of the internet to give a random Chinese farmer the same amount of money for possibly no item at all. I also don't see this being the "gold rush" that it's being made out to be, unless you're retarded I doubt items would be going for more than a couple dollars a piece after the market stabilizes. Personally I'm looking forward to maybe coming out even on purchasing the game.

Since I game on a gaming desktop with a wired connection always-on connections never bother me, for games that have no multiplayer component I think it's stupid but for a game like Diablo 3 especially it's more or less a necessary component. Mind you they could just create the single player only characters and have them go nowhere near the network and you can't play online with them and it would more or less bypass this issue but I'm guess with how Diablo 3 seems to be focused to them they felt it didn't lend itself to the game any longer.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:34 PM »

I will get a Blizzard hat for free, I think.

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2011, 03:57:46 AM »

While I agree the online all the time thing is pretty douche, even though for this type of game it does make more sense..if you can make sense out of insanity imo.  However, the store makes more sense.  Now I never played D2 much if any.  My mom was against it (honestly I could play resident evil, but diablo meant devil in spanish so its a no no for me..whatever mom) and once I finally got to play it I was like...uh...this is diablo 2?  Uh..wow this is not what I expected...I mean its alright..but wheres this OMGWTFAWESOME feeling my buddies get.  I did hear and see alot about people buying items offa ebay, and I suppose this offers a safer, more secure, legitimate way to do that..and I guess to a degree im ok with that.  I still think it many instances paying real money for ingame items is a tad silly.  However, as long as its always an OPTIONAL feature, then its fine by me.  If at any point I HAVE TO, then its not ok.  A little different when it comes to the somewhat f2p mmorpgs out there like LOTRO.  I feel at least in terms of game content, new game content, paying for it makes sense.  This is stuff they would normally be getting monthly subs for, and instead you can play quite a damn bit to your hearts content, but once you get towards the end, then yeah, you gotta fork over a little cash.  And to me that is completely legitimate.  However alot of MMO's are also what one would call P2W or pay to win, where you cannot progress in a decent manner without spending money, especially on gear and whatnot alone.  So instead of paying money for say, the Isenguard content set, which is quests, items, etc. you are having to pay for the Awesome Bunny Killer Outfit of Sex Blaster in order to actually progress in the already free stuff.  If that makes any sense.  Its still a precarious area, and I feel some devs/pubs are doing it better than others.  Time will tell what effect D3 will have on such things, and how these measures take place, but I think while it will drive some away, the majority will take it in stride, because lets face it.  Blizzard makes fucking amazing games. 

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2011, 04:06:44 AM »

and once I finally got to play it I was like...uh...this is diablo 2?  Uh..wow this is not what I expected...I mean its alright..but wheres this OMGWTFAWESOME feeling my buddies get.

Time for expectations to rise to the point they can't be matched, and the fact I bet you didn't play through it with your buddies. There's a reason I moved this to Multiplayer afterall.

And when I say "lesser/greater of two evils" I simply mean two undesirables, I don't mean as something absolutely terrible. I DID outline how it can be bad though, what with it probably being the single biggest reason they're not allowing mods this time around. Also, depending on how they do this it could mean they balance it so equipment drops on a whole are rarer than before, meaning to get anything good you'd have to either be incredibly lucky or shell out a pretty sum. If it ends up mostly the same but with ease of trading then, well, I guess ti's more a matter of principles. If it turns out on the ideal side of things I admittedly wouldn't mind offloading higher end stuff I don't want/can't use and can't hand out to friends.

If I don't have internet access, I'm not leaning on my offline games or anything.  I'm scraping together money to get my connection back.

So like, fuck that.

I hope you wouldn't do reacting like that whenever your ISP/Blizzard has downtime or you're on a trip, because that's what most of us are worried about with DRM like this.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2011, 04:40:12 AM »

So, just to clear the air a bit here...

1 - The auction house. I'm not sure any of you guys are hardcore Diablo 2 gamers, but there was a market created by a player that allowed players to sell and buy items for real money. This happened and the man behind the idea made out like a bandit. He's super rich now. Ok, so they basically took an idea that Diablo 2 community obviously wanted and made it official so they can ensure that their players and their transactions occur seamlessly and within a secure channel they can enforce. So, all your crying about this being evil and blah blah...moot. It was done and a success, it will be done in Diablo 3 and will also succeed :) Move on.

2 - Online all the time. Yes, this can be a tad annoying but think of the alternative. If you played Diablo 2 at all, you know that people will make mods that make them supermen and they will PK and do stupid things to honest working players who just want to enjoy the game experience. People found ways to make unlimited gold and crashed the economy. Mods ruined the vision Blizzard had for the game. So, this allows them to ensure that everyone is on a fair playing field and that their vision is always intact. And this will only make us, honest players, enjoy the game more. And really, anyone who uses Steam is already under these same conditions, no? Are we really reopening this old scar just to be able to voice complaint again? If you don't have the internet, go read a book, pick up a pencil and draw, go talk to a real person...in real life. If you're on a plane, watch a movie, make a new friend with your neighbor, hit on a flight attendant.

So, in conclusion...Diablo 3 will be awesome :) Thank you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »

And really, anyone who uses Steam is already under these same conditions, no? Are we really reopening this old scar just to be able to voice complaint again?

If you mean playing online, no, they have an offline mode so only games that require an online connection for whatever reason are unplayable without the internet, and if you mean mods, HELL no, there's tons of mods for Half Life 2 and stuff like the Vampire Bloodlines unofficial patch work just fine.

It'd be nice if you were a lot less condescending in that argument too!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:06:34 AM by Eusis » Logged
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2011, 05:10:17 AM »

"This just in.. Blizzard has now officially legalized farming and gold selling so that you folks out there can make a living out of your favorite game. Back to you Ted...."

Just kidding.... I mean i myself don't see many problems with the auction house...

1. you don't have to use this feature

2. I like hunting for my own items anyway.. i mean diablo has always been a loot-driven game... if you want to play diablo for a exciting story or incredible character development (storywise not statwise :p) ....than be my guest ..but don't complain afterwards.

the only problem that i see with this is that some people out there will get hooked on this ... basically forcing themselves to hunt for rare items just to sell them ..... than again bad publicity is still publicity for blizzard anyway... and I'am also sure that blizz will have to lock this feature for some countrys.

As for the required connection.... no real surprise there.... if there wouldn't be as many pirates out there ...blizz could avoid it... but thinking back about diablo 2... there has been  an insane amount of illegal copies on the market.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:21:23 AM by A.I. » Logged
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »

TotalBiscuit had a bit of a rant about the subject, I agree on most of his points so I'm going to go ahead and post the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBrESZJlNvQ

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: