Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 07:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331456 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Diablo 3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3?  (Read 66677 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »

Yup, nice rant you posted. It also made me remember this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/3689-Microtransactions

« Never sell power »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:42:33 AM by Annubis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2011, 09:22:02 AM »

If you don't have the internet, go read a book, pick up a pencil and draw, go talk to a real person...in real life. If you're on a plane, watch a movie, make a new friend with your neighbor, hit on a flight attendant.

The idea of "if you can't play under particular conditions set for you, don't play at all and go do something else" is extremely stupid and offensive.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »

I hope you wouldn't do reacting like that whenever your ISP/Blizzard has downtime or you're on a trip, because that's what most of us are worried about with DRM like this.

Yeah, I feel ya.  I guess what I'm getting at is that if my internet is out, I have bigger problems than just Diablo 3 being unplayable.  It shouldn't be any worse than any true MMORPG having downtime, but I understand the contrast. 

I didn't realize mods were a hit with Diablo 2 though. 

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2011, 10:30:07 AM »

Watched the video.  At least the guy pointed out the counter arguments, but I feel that they are more valid than his "Blizzard wants to make money and this will break PVP" theory.

Look, I'm done arguing about this stuff.  It's all hyperbole on both sides.  Blizzard wants money and they want to protect their player-base.  People were already buying equipment through third party suppliers, so Blizzard stepped in to take over.  That's it.  Everyone saying that they won't buy the game and that this broke D3 is kidding themselves just like those who were outraged over the lack of LAN in StarCraft 2. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:33:02 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »

Really, the idea of needing to have an internet connection all the time to play should only ever apply to online-only games. If I want to play a game I've bought, I should be able to play the damn thing.

I don't have a problem with the idea of legitimizing RMT, personally- I've never been able to understand this view that RMT was an inherently bad thing for any game. The implementation is worth having problems with, though. That listing fee that TotalBiscuit mentioned was a very good example of this.
Kiem

kiemofsophos@hotmail.com Kiemofsophos
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2011, 10:41:03 PM »

If you don't have the internet, go read a book, pick up a pencil and draw, go talk to a real person...in real life. If you're on a plane, watch a movie, make a new friend with your neighbor, hit on a flight attendant.

The idea of "if you can't play under particular conditions set for you, don't play at all and go do something else" is extremely stupid and offensive.

I'm sorry this idea that looking for something else to do while something is unavailable offends you. But, err, yeah, what else would you do? The idea that people have the right to demand to have their pie and eat it too offends me and I find it very stupid.

The inclusion of the Auction House makes Diable 3 inherently online. In order to protect their player base and their IP, they have to put it online.

And yeah, maybe my comments came off as condescending but I'm tired of people crying about CD requirements then DRM then crying about online connection requires. As an industry, we cry way too often and way to quickly. We knee jerk more than any other entertainment industry and why? Because we think we're entitled because we drop 60$ on a game. Yeah, 60$ is a lot of money, but for the most part, its a lot of entertainment packed into that DVD and a lot of people had a hand in it. We need to take a step back, look at it from their perspective and understand why they had to make the choices they made and ask ourselves if we would have done it differently. And, honestly, Blizzard made the right call for Diablo 3. The Auction House protects their player base from getting ripped off from a 3rd party service and the Online connection protects their player base from having to suffer through hacks and cheats and a messed up economy.

People cried out and said they'd boycot Blizzard when they announced the RealID plans and now, after just a few months, most of us can't think of a Blizzard game without it. We need to put down our tinfoil hats and let the people who make some of the best PC titles of all time do their thing and just enjoy the fact that we get to experience their creations.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:13 PM »

So basically, because people are stupid and accept being bent over and screwed in the ass, EVERYONE should accept being bent over and screwed in the ass?

Honestly I'm just giggling over this AH system consisting of actual money. I can see it now, the first item stolen from someone online with an actual police report filed, because now the objects have a monetary value. Oh man, I can see blizzard taking a huge hit for that.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »

Real money auction house doesn't bother me too much, it's there, but you're not required to use it. It's an option, like anything else.

The DRM is a different story, forcing players to play the game online is fucking bullshit. Same thing goes for making mods illegal. This stinks of Activision's meddling.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »

What part of "I don't like to play online because I don't like people didn't you understand? ;)

Seriously, I always carry a book, partly because I love reading, but also partly because of the times on the plane when I am not supposed to use electronics.  My objection to having to be online has nothing to do with the availability of the internet - I've got a personal wifi hotspot, so when I'm on the plane is just about the only time I can't be online.  (Well, I could be online there too, if I was stupid enough to pay what they want for the internet.)  It's about one more thing in my life being on someone else's server, when my single-player-only habits mean there's no good reason for it to be there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »

You'd think Blizzard would be a little more understanding about modding.  Most of the features that have been added into WoW since it was first released have been pale imitations of the game's most popular mods.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2011, 03:53:19 AM »

The inclusion of the Auction House makes Diable 3 inherently online.

No it doesn't, you just have to keep single player and multiplayer separate. That's how they did it in DII.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2011, 05:36:57 AM »

I'm sorry this idea that looking for something else to do while something is unavailable offends you.

maybe my comments came off as condescending but I'm tired of people crying about CD requirements then DRM then crying about online connection requires

Yes, your comments are condescending because they're not really relevant to the discussion- yeah, of course we'll go do something else if we can't play the game- that's not the point. The problem is that we're now defaulted to not being able to play the game when we want to, which I don't think is a unreasonable request when I drop $60 on the damn thing. It's like selling me suntan lotion that can only be applied when I'm indoors- you can still use it just fine, it's just inconvenient.

If the game was marketed as an online game (Which it isn't), I would have no problem with the idea of needing a constant internet connection. There's no real reason that I shouldn't be allowed to play the single-player mode when I want to. This is completely different from needing the CD, because at least that still allows me to play the game when I want to when I have already purchased the product.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2011, 05:51:10 AM »

This is completely different from needing the CD, because at least that still allows me to play the game when I want to when I have already purchased the product.

That, and while people will bitch about just about any sort of DRM other than Steamworks (and even then!) I really don't have a problem as long as it's reasonable. Dialing home's unideal, constant required connection has been covered, and if I have a finite set of activations I better be able to revoke them upon uninstalling or through a tool (just straight up resetting once every so often is more ideal though.) While some people cry over just about any method, the core of it is that people don't want to be unreasonably restricted in how they may play their game, especially when it potentially means LOSING it through little or no fault of their own. Like said though, while I'm not angry over it (and getting Diablo III again won't be a problem after my experience registering/buying via battle.net) it's a little annoying and I can see why others who can really get into Diablo III solo are miffed. Well, and the fact mods are blocked, that's either due to the Auction House or Blizzard being unwilling (or worse, unable) to block it from affecting everyone's online experience.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »

Torchlight is a lot of fun, and Torchlight II is on the way.  Just throwing that out there.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »

Gotta agree. :) (I gave it an 89 on PC and an 83 on XBLA.)  I'm looking forward to the sequel too.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: