Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 07:11:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329782 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Diablo 3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Diablo 3?  (Read 64252 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »

Torchlight is a lot of fun, and Torchlight II is on the way.  Just throwing that out there.

And it'll have multiplayer this time around.
Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »

I'm looking forward to Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3, both. Even with all of these new "features" D3 will have, I'm online 99.9% of the time when I'm awake. RMAH is a "wait and see" sort of thing for me right now.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:45:05 PM by Nad » Logged

Nothing.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:27 AM »

Torchlight is a lot of fun, and Torchlight II is on the way.  Just throwing that out there.
This, fuck diablo, fuck blizzard, and fuck activision.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »

Blizzard surprised at the reaction to the online always.

Admittedly I really do believe them when they say piracy wasn't a reason. Blizzard games ALWAYS sell really damn well, and being multiplayer oriented it's more useful to stop pirates from playing online as forcing a gimped, solo-only version is more than enough disincentive. Announcing the auction house was more than enough to show the REAL reason it's online all the time anyway.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 05, 2011, 02:00:45 AM »

A little off topic, I know, but I've really had it with the Diablo forums these days.  I understand many of the complaints coming from the community about D3, but a lot of it is just frustrating to read.  The addition of a cauldron to destroy vendor trash and keep me immersed in the world is a good thing, imo, as is taking out the skill point allocation that could create a real nightmare if you were pouring points into the wrong attributes.  Seems like the community is complaining about everything with this game because Blizzard's making changes to a ten year old game that has been elevated to an almost God-like status.  Look, I love D2, but there are things that can make the game better, and Blizzard is taking some of the best parts of new games in the genre (companions and the ability to sell things without going back to town from Torchlight) in order to make the experience friendly for the user.  That doesn't mean the game is "noob-friendly" or more mainstream.  It just seems to play better.  This all started with the complaints about the art style three years ago when it was first announced, and now everyone feels the need to flame the game whenever a new feature is mentioned. Feels like these people would have complained about the addition of a run feature in D2 because it took away from the atmosphere of D1, or some nonsense like that. 

Again, I understand the latest batch of complaints about constant internet connections and the auction house.  These are totally legitimate concerns.  I'm mostly talking about the gameplay stuff because that's what I'm interested in.  The fact that I don't have to worry about leveling up skeleton mastery over and over again because now the skills get stronger as you level up and you get a new skill every freakin' level is awesome! 
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »

I'm going to have to disagree with you hare. Diablo 2 was built around two main features, hunting for loot and building your character. So, if the game now builds the character for you, and rare loot can be bought, what does that leave for the oldschool Daiblo player? My take, is that these are legit complaints from people who loved the old games. I can't judge the final product, but I can already see that Blizzard is aiming for a low maintenance high profit product, that will generate constant income. I actually think that it will probably still turn out to be decent, but nothing close to what it could have been had they built it around the notion of making a great game, rather than a money printer. Its understandable form their point of view, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:46:40 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
A.I.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »

As far as I understand it you don't completely lose control over your characters development.. there is still the rune system and you still have the choice between different skill sets. ( feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here).

The fact that rare items can be bought with real cash... doesn't really matter in my opinion.. why bother playing diablo at all if you aren't willing to hunt for your own items as soon as an opportunity to buy them pops out? I'm pretty sure that the story of d3 could be easily summarized in less than one page... its a loot driven hack n' slash game ... if you like that kind of games ... than i don't know why you should be bothered by a feature that you are not even required to use.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:34 PM »

Yeah, if I automatically learn skills that leaves me a LITTLE wary. There's methods around that anyway, paying for a respec (in ingame gold, though I could you could buy that with real money thanks to RMT anyway.) It's a system that's just fine for a solo RPG like FFIV, but I don't think it's what I'd want in something like Diablo. We'll see I guess.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 05, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

You're totally off base abut the game building the character for you, if anything the game is far more customizable than before, there just happens to be no talent tree which at the time was pretty cool as it was newish but now it's not all the great a thing IMO, every level up you get to add +5% Blizzard damage. Yippe! Am I having fun yet? The rune system is far more game-changing then the talent tree ever was and I will add to the AH argument again: As this is not an MMO who cares what gear other people have? All gear lets you do it play the game. Sure Diablo has PvP but it was never balanced and likely never (and should never) be so if someone has a Crazy Hammer of Killing Stuff and paid $10 for it this affects another player how?

I stopped playing Diablo 2 years ago for a reason, I don't want to play a shinier version of it.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 05, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »

Sure Diablo has PvP but it was never balanced and likely never (and should never)

Here's some good news about that.

#1 Dev say they don't even want to balance PVP. They don't mind it being completely broken.
#2 Dev said that if they are forced to balance PVP, they already added in every skill a special PVP section where they can balance PVP and not affect anything else. They literally said they wanted to avoid the WoW PVP nerf fiasco affecting PVE (and another Blizzard employee had to tell the dev to stop talking RIGHT NOW! while he said that)
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2011, 05:51:05 PM »

I'm with Adapheon.  The rune system will offer an insane amount of character customization and style.  Just look at the rune page on the D3 website.  These stones don't just change the look of the skill, but they radically change the effects.  Now, combine these stones with six available active skills at any one time, and you have an insane number of options available to the player.  Whether or not top tier skills completely outclass lower tier skills or what kinds of cooldown periods will be imposed remains unknown, but I'm super excited to try it all out.  I've said it on the podcast and in my reviews; I don't really care about minor statistical increases in my abilities and stats.  I like the idea of my plague of toads becoming one giant toad that freakin' eats enemies!

Please note that all of the information is coming from this article:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1185753p1.html
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:55:35 PM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »

Completely agree with Rob on this. They've taken out the tedious, "make one mistake and you've broken the character" aspect of D2. People are getting hung up on the "I can't put skill points in anymore" aspect. No, you can't, because you have access to the entire pool, and rather than using skill points to "customize" your character (again, if you veer off the proper build, your character is gimped and broken, so there really wasn't any "customization" beyond choosing a build), you use runes and a custom loadout to customize. They haven't removed customization at all-- they've just changed the level at which you are customizing the character. Like Rob said, I'm much more into the aspect of being able to totally modify my skills to change the effect to suit my style, rather than 'OMFUG SYNERGY GET ALL THE SYNERGY MOVES TO MAKE MY ONE SKILL JACKED +2000%.'

As for losing stat customization: D2 was "get enough STR and DEX to equip your gear, then dump into VIT," because your gear made all the difference in that regard.

On the other hand of all of this rationalization on my part, I'm a cynic. I believe there is nothing Blizzard can do to please the fanbase at large. I've been hearing cries of 'BETRAYAL!' since this game was announced. Diablo 2 changed the skill system from Diablo 1-- for the better. It's no big deal. I apologize if I sound incendiary or offensive, but I just don't understand how people can doubt Blizzard. They put a lot of care into their games, more than many developers-- whether or not they're part of Activision. They didn't merge and suddenly stop giving a shit about their games. If anything they've released has ever been truly disappointing, it's only because we get so attached to the classics that we've played for hundreds upon hundreds of hours that they can't imagine the possibility of anything changing and it still being the same experience we remember having. If I wanted to play Diablo 2 again, I'd go right ahead and click the shortcut on my desktop. I want an evolution of that formula. I want Diablo 3. And when it comes out and everyone hates it because it isn't Diablo 2, I'll go right on ahead playing it.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »

Well said, everyone.  Such passion.
Here is the Diablo 3 that naysayers have always wanted, and it pwns now because it has been Easternized.  Yes, Easternization is now apparently a thing.  http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »

Here is the Diablo 3 that naysayers have always wanted, and it pwns now because it has been Easternized.  Yes, Easternization is now apparently a thing.  http://hellgate.t3fun.com/home/home.aspx

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »

Wait, is that....Hellgate London? I almost forgot that even existed.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: