Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:40:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338773 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 28558 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:08 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
Quote from: "everluck"
There's nothing universally considered overrated.

Daggerstrike's post can be overly simplified into basically "everyone has their own opinions and just because everyone chose to like something doesn't mean it's overrated." So by saying that I can just say that I think it's overrated and just because everyone else thinks its not doesn't make it so that it's not...it's just an endless argument.

I apologize that you were unable to take the comment in the manner in which it was intended and decided to over simplify it. I edited it. I simply was pointing out that just because people say it's overrated it doesn't mean that it is actually overrated. By what scale do people judge overrated-ness? If a movie or game is universally loved, but you hate it, does that make it overrated? Is being overrated simply your opinion of it or is there a measuring stick for the actual overrated-ness of the material. Yes, this can probably be considered pedantic or overly philosophical, but my next point talks to my real issue with overrated.

And just remember kids, overrated does NOT mean bad.

That's pretty much the point I always try to make. I don't understand such knee-jerk reactions to calling something overrated.

How is overrated not intended to be a negative thing? Overrated means to rate or appraise too highly. TOO HIGHLY.
My issue with the term is that there is ALWAYS someone that comes in to almost every thread and says that whatever the people are talking about is overrated.

As for all this discussion of the next films and whether or not
Code:
Two Face is actually dead

is all purely speculation. Personally I think it should just be left as a duology though- like I said, where else can you take Bruce Wayne's character?

There are plenty of places to take both Bruce Wayne and Batman.
Code:
Bane could break his back, thus revealing to the world who he really is. Riddler is always an option. Catwoman of course. Talia al Ghul would of course be an interesting villain. Trying to get back at Batman for her father. And there is always Ra's al Ghul coming back. You mentioned Two Face.

With the history that Batman has there are a LOT of options for new movies.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2008, 10:23:10 AM »

Quote from: "Daggerstrike"

Daggerstrike's post can be overly simplified into basically "everyone has their own opinions and just because everyone chose to like something doesn't mean it's overrated." So by saying that I can just say that I think it's overrated and just because everyone else thinks its not doesn't make it so that it's not...it's just an endless argument.

I apologize that you were unable to take the comment in the manner in which it was intended and decided to over simplify it. I edited it. I simply was pointing out that just because people say it's overrated it doesn't mean that it is actually overrated. By what scale do people judge overrated-ness? If a movie or game is universally loved, but you hate it, does that make it overrated? Is being overrated simply your opinion of it or is there a measuring stick for the actual overrated-ness of the material. Yes, this can probably be considered pedantic or overly philosophical, but my next point talks to my real issue with overrated.

That's pretty much the point I always try to make. I don't understand such knee-jerk reactions to calling something overrated.

How is overrated not intended to be a negative thing? Overrated means to rate or appraise too highly. TOO HIGHLY.
My issue with the term is that there is ALWAYS someone that comes in to almost every thread and says that whatever the people are talking about is overrated.

Code:

is all purely speculation. Personally I think it should just be left as a duology though- like I said, where else can you take Bruce Wayne's character?

Code:
Bane could break his back, thus revealing to the world who he really is. Riddler is always an option. Catwoman of course. Talia al Ghul would of course be an interesting villain. Trying to get back at Batman for her father. And there is always Ra's al Ghul coming back. You mentioned Two Face.

This whole post is overrated.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

Code:

Code:

This whole post is overrated.

I fucking hate you so much.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »

Then your problem is just generally with people who look like they're just doing it for the sake of going against the majority...honestly I don't think the majority of the people on this site overrated The Dark Knight- but some of the praise it's getting is pretty ridiculous. Nevertheless, I love the film, probably just as much as most of the people around here.

Code:

Well I actually didn't mean Batman didn't have a wealth of stories to draw from (With the amount of stories he has they could easily make movies until the day I die), but rather what they can do with the established character in the movie continuity itself. Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight had very strong central themes and a direction Bruce Wayne's character could advance. The Dark Knight has established that his job as Batman is now a lifelong job...a very bittersweet ending (Mostly bitter), but everything that happens from this point on is going to be "fight next villain". I know there's more to it than that, but I think you know what I mean.

I guess my problem isn't whether or not they will make another movie (Because they're going to until they stop bringing in cash, which is probably never if they keep the tone dark), but whether any movies from now on are going to have the kind of strong development for the character Bruce Wayne that can carry an entire film.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

Then your problem is just generally with people who look like they're just doing it for the sake of going against the majority...honestly I don't think the majority of the people on this site overrated The Dark Knight- but some of the praise it's getting is pretty ridiculous. Nevertheless, I love the film, probably just as much as most of the people around here.

Thank GOD! Someone who finally gets it...

JP
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2008, 06:02:12 PM »

Quote from: "jphussey"

Thank GOD! Someone who finally gets it...

JP

I do agree that some of the praise it's getting makes it out to be the second coming and that any who dislike are inherently flawed as human beings. That is just ridiculous. It was a good movie. I daresay it was a great movie. Greatest movie ever? In my eyes, no.

I personally don't think that as a whole that the movie is overrated. I think there are a few idiots out there that take their opinion of this movie (and most other things) to the extreme and give people the ammunition to say that it is overrated.

As for advancing him as a character

Code:
Bane would work perfectly for this. He gets his back broken and can't fight crime, he gets lost in his own self pity..blah blah blah...

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/angelina-jolie-wants-to-be-batman-s-pussy-cat-5120

Interesting...

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2008, 02:08:20 AM »

Well Lucius does mention cats at one point...

Catwoman would be the next logical choice for a villain, I think.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »

No she wouldn't. Nolan has said in interviews that he probably wouldn't use Catwoman since he finds her kind of silly. I totally agree---she is very, VERY silly.
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2008, 01:53:35 AM »

There is a very clearly established theme here. Altruism at the core of it. Are you going to do what's right, even if you wont get credit for it. Is playing the hero when it's convenient for you the same thing as being a real hero. Is a vigilante above the law simply because he's a very 'good' vigilante. Social responsibility. The levels of distinction and interpretation between good and wrong. (think bruce's perspective on theft after being forced to do so to survive)

The Wayne family literally held Gotham together (train system) and it's falling apart right under his eyes. He's taken the first step towards sacrificing himself for Gotham and the greater good (his personal image, or ego, since he's now a wanted killer) and I can't wait to see how far they carry it. I personally would love to see how Bale would deal with Batman's moral code if say... he was genuinely forced to kill someone.

things like that are solid talking points, everything else is FANBOY MATERIAL.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »

Let's hope they don't have Robin in the next movie...
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2008, 12:54:02 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

Chris Nolan said there'd be no Robin in these movies.

And why not Catwoman? I think she's a better choice than most of Batman's other villains. The only others I can think of that would really fit the realistic tone of the movies are The Riddler and Talia al Ghul.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

Chris Nolan said there'd be no Robin in these movies.

And why not Catwoman? I think she's a better choice than most of Batman's other villains. The only others I can think of that would really fit the realistic tone of the movies are The Riddler and Talia al Ghul.

Bane would fit too, if they just made him a guy completely jacked up on steroids.

Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2008, 03:41:29 PM »

Code:
Bane would work perfectly for this. He gets his back broken and can't fight crime, he gets lost in his own self pity..blah blah blah...

This storyline is one of my favorites but it would need to have Robin or Azrael.  I'm all for them making a movie with Azrael.  It would totally work with Nolan's style, he's nothing but a normal guy with a fancy suit, it would be easy to leave out the genetic tampering and just go with all the hypnosis and what not.  His story would also fit Nolan's theme really well.   Hell a Knightfall movie with just Azrael and no Robin would be pretty damn sweet.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"

Oh shit...

Every movie that i've seen with Jolie in it is FUCKING AWFUL!!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: