Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:09:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318936 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 26309 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "Blace"
The drama in TDK was intense and rewarding for me, much like "The Departed" was. I guess you can say that I thought this movie was more compelling. And by top 5, yes I meant favorites.

Words right outa my mouth.

Was SO awesome.

Academy.....try to remember Heath at Oscar time.

"Isn't this fanboy semen delectable, Joker?"

"Why Batman, it almost makes me wish I hadn't killed myself! HAHAHAHEE!"

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
Quote from: "everluck"
The thing that I'm most impressed by is that The Dark Knight really isn't Batman's story; it's Gotham's. It takes ideas that were present in the first two Spiderman movies and molds them in a way more similar to gangster films or city-wide dramas akin to Heat.

After having a day to reflect on the movie, I have to say that The Dark Knight is really one of the most impressive films I have ever seen. It trumps BB in every way. It trumps most big releases, in fact. It really is one of the most powerful movies I've had the pleasure to watch.

And god damn was Heath Ledger incredible. I was expecting great things, but almost 24 hours later and my hair's still on end. That's fucking awesome.

Jesus, Hyperbole alert? Most Powerful movies? Go watch Schindler's List.

JP

Way to mince words, friend.

[/url]
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
The thing that I'm most impressed by is that The Dark Knight really isn't Batman's story; it's Gotham's.

My mom was commenting that she loved how Gotham looked in this movie; that it looked like a more modern realistic city and not some dystopian cartoonish futuristic imagining like in the 1989 Batman movie.  It shows how long a way comic book movies have come.  They don't need to look cartoonish to capture the spirit of the comics.  It's often better if they don't since comics have often been pointed social commentaries on real and current issues.  

Speaking of comic book movies, is it me or has this summer been one of the best for them?  Iron Man, Dark Knight, Incredible Hulk, Hellboy II...

I approve of this nonsense!
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:40 AM »

it looked like a more modern realistic city

Um, it was a real city. I think it was Chicago.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2008, 12:11:17 AM »

Yeah I know it was location shot (Hong Kong among other locales) since I read the end credits.  But come on, you get what I was trying to say, though.  If not, I reserve the right to point and laugh at you for missing the point.

I approve of this nonsense!
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

I got what you were saying, I just found it funny the way you said it and had to nit pick I guess...
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »

I don't care about anyone else's opinions or what their view of the movie is, I thought it was amazing and that Heath Ledger performed the single greatest characterization of any character in a movie I've seen.

The other characters weren't bad, Christian Bale did better this time out and Aaron Eckhart did a pretty decent job with Harvery Dent/Two-Face (much better than tommy lee jones) although the Rachael character is just bad, I thought it was Katie Holmes that made her boring, turns out I was wrong.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »

Quote from: "Adapheon"
I don't care about anyone else's opinions or what their view of the movie is

Then why are you posting to a message board?

JP
Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

I like the sound of my voice echoing off of my monitor. Plus I get giddy with love feelings when people respond to a nothing comment I posted with really nothing back.

On top of all of that I really just meant that anyone can say otherwise to that point, but they are wrong. Capital W wrong, just without actually typing it as that would be an insult to my old English teacher.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2008, 09:01:09 PM »

I like the sound of my voice echoing off of my monitor. Plus I get giddy with love feelings when people respond to a nothing comment I posted with really nothing back.

On top of all of that I really just meant that anyone can say otherwise to that point, but they are wrong. Capital W wrong, just without actually typing it as that would be an insult to my old English teacher.

I asked an honest question and you respond with an insult. Thanks pal.

Good luck to you!

And best to your old English teacher...
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 10:28:05 PM »

What I loved about The Dark Knight is that it was successful as a movie, not just as a comic book movie. The performances were uniformly excellent, the action sequences totally delivered, and the attempts at humor actually worked this time around.

See, Batman Begins was alright. I appreciate the fact that it was more naturalistic and attempted at a dark mood, but I felt the plot was unfocused and pieced together. I loved the way it worked in Ra's Al Ghoul, but the Scarecrow was denied a satisfying end, or at least a compelling place to leave off, and I didn't feel anything for the central characters. By the end of the film, I really couldn't care less about the state of Bruce Wayne and Rachel Dawes' relationship, and the whole experience felt murky and it succumbed to action-movie cliches once it got running. Yes, it was a step in the right direction, but I didn't feel it was totally successful in everything it tried to accomplish. I do believe, however, that it was a decent set up after watching The Dark Knight.

The Dark Knight gave me chills. Real chills. I felt genuine shock and a sense of terror throughout the movie. I was totally connected and completely engaged, and it left a lasting impression on me.

As for the villians,
Code:
Ledger's performance was pure brilliance, but I also wish to commend Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent/Two-Face, which hasn't gotten as much attention. Understandably, of course, as Ledger's Joker is one of the most beautifully-crafted characters in movie history, but Eckhart had a really difficult transition to make and nailed it. When he becomes Two-Face, it's absolutely heart-rending. I also loved how he was a direct result from The Joker, rather than a side character that forms a quicky alliance.

By the way, any Angel fans notice the guy who played Holtz in this movie?
Adapheon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2008, 11:21:49 PM »

Quote from: "jphussey"

I asked an honest question and you respond with an insult. Thanks pal.

Good luck to you!

And best to your old English teacher...

The question was hardly honest or at least wasn't a good-natured honest question. Obviously in the grand scheme of things someone posting on a message board is in it for some sort of give and take of ideas or opinions. In a more specific frame of reference, my views on this particular movie are not going to be swayed by the opinions of others, thus, the statement you decided to call into light.

I just call them as I see them and will respond to honesty with honesty and will respond to jackassery with jackassery. I'm not calling you a jackass, I'm saying that in the many years of message board posting you start to read how the posts are meant, but it is the internet and sometimes intent is read incorrectly.

So hey, if I called it wrong you have my apology, and an explaination of why I am posting to a message board: Because I have nothing better to do and I don't have a great many friends that I talk to about certain topics that I can online. Also I like this message board, I've posted on and off under different names since about 2000-2001 and I enjoy just seeing how the community is evolving.

If I called it right I'm sure you can find something to throw back at me in this post :)

I think I'll more than likely bow out at this stage of the game though, this is a topic about Batman and about Batman it shall remain.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »

Well it broke Spider-Man 3's record of the highest grossing weekend and made 155 million dollars. I'm glad to see people are willing to spend money on a GOOD superhero movie.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »

What a great movie. I thought Begins was pretty good, but this is so much better. The whole thing just felt so right. I don't think I need to repeat al the things everyone has already said.

The only problem I had was the transition of Harvey Dent into Two-Face. It just wasn't believable that he would do the things he did. I imagine his descent taking place over a longer period of time. I suppose the nature of the movie wouldn't allow it.

Regardless, a damn fine movie.
To think that I just saw Spiderman 3 a couple weeks ago, and thought that was pretty much crap.

On another note, I was actually a bit shocked by how violent the movie was. I noticed all sorts of kids in the audience who SO did not belong there. When the hell are people going to learn that comic book does not equal kids movie? Do a little research mom and dad.
Probably the same idiots who think all video games are for kids. *sigh*

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
The only problem I had was the transition of Harvey Dent into Two-Face. It just wasn't believable that he would do the things he did. I imagine his descent taking place over a longer period of time. I suppose the nature of the movie wouldn't allow it.

Well...

Code:
when the love of your life dies just after saying she's going to marry you and you're basically permanently disfigured after being betrayed by those placed in a position of trust where he was trying to protect them by going to personal risk to take down the criminals, I mean, that's kind of a bitch of a change to take in all at once.  

Quote from: "GrimReality"
On another note, I was actually a bit shocked by how violent the movie was. I noticed all sorts of kids in the audience who SO did not belong there. When the hell are people going to learn that comic book does not equal kids movie? Do a little research mom and dad.
Probably the same idiots who think all video games are for kids. *sigh*

Worse than that, I had that little kid sitting right next to me, and he said all sorts of inane comments and had to hit up the bathroom at a pivotal point in the movie.  But yeah, parents need to research this crap. :|

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: