Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327815 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 27174 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

Everything is overrated when it's fresh...
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »

Quote from: "Adapheon"
....but they will have to put a female love interest somewhere in the story so I would bet on a female villain.

I really fucking hope they stop with that shit.

Batman is supposed to be a fucking loner, not some super hero in love with some moron bitch.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »

But in the next movie we will learn that the greatest villain of all, is love :P

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
With over 100,000 votes in, this film sits at IMDB's Best film of all time.

Now that, folks, is the definition of overrated. As much as I liked this movie, go take a class in film history and then tell me this is one of the top 20 movies you've ever seen, or even 50.

Because it's not on mine. But that doesn't mean it's not good, it just means it is currently overrated,

As always, YMMV with regards to perception.  There are a LOT of titles in positions on that list that shouldn't be up as high as they are.  For example, Pulp Fiction being the sixth best movie of all time?  Blech, I turned that off after the first twenty minutes of non-stop swearing.  On the other hand, I do respect the opinions of the people who really enjoyed it.  In that respect, Pulp Fiction is overrated to me.  However, to the people who really enjoy it, it is not overrated.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"

Batman is supposed to be a fucking loner, not some super hero in love with some moron bitch.

CRAAWWWLLLIINNGG IN MY KEVLAR COATED SKIN

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:05 PM »

And just remember kids, overrated does NOT mean bad.  Look at some of our beloved video games.  Halo is as overrated as video games get, but it's still a pretty darn good game.  Something can be overrated and still be very good.  If it was terrible, why would so many people praise it in the first place?

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »

Now that, folks, is the definition of overrated. As much as I liked this movie, go take a class in film history and then tell me this is one of the top 20 movies you've ever seen, or even 50.

Because it's not on mine. But that doesn't mean it's not good, it just means it is currently overrated,

JP

People said this when The Godfather first came out, too.

[/url]
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »

With over 100,000 votes in, this film sits at IMDB's Best film of all time.

JP

Holy shit. Others have a different opinion than you? WHAT THE FUCK? I mean...seriously? They don't think Citizen Kane is as good as The Dark Knight?

Here is the thing. The people that voted liked the movie. Just because people haven't voted lower doesn't mean there aren't people that don't like it. All the fucking negativity and "OMG IT'S OVERRATED" bullshit is just ridiculous. People liked it. You didn't like it as much. Doesn't necessarily make it overrated.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2008, 03:46:27 AM »

Under that assumption, nothing that ever existed can be considered overrated.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2008, 08:32:51 PM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
Under that assumption, nothing that ever existed can be considered overrated.

There's nothing universally considered overrated.

[/url]
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »

Are we really discussing the anatomy of hype?

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2008, 06:00:01 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
Are we really discussing the anatomy of hype?

What else would we discuss in a batman movie thread? A batman movie?
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

It just seems silly that the number of people that like it has any bearing on whether you found it to be a good movie or not.

Isn't that pretentious in the same way that liking certain other films because they're obscure or establish some sort "indie credibility" is?

Besides, a discussion about the state of the (mainstream and independent) film industry and why it can blindly turn out recycled B-list script ideas, remakes of remakes that get worse each time, sequels to movies that should never have been made in the first place and yet still manage to make a profit would be far more interesting.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Razkolnikov

razkolnikov@live.ca
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2008, 02:42:02 AM »

The only film critic I listen to loved the Dark Knight enough to call it the best American film since Godfather II.  I normally don't agree with statements as bold as that one, but this might be the exception.  I am still in awe of how well it held my attention for its nearly three hour running time.  You can make an objective statement about Christopher Nolan's skill as a director (without discussing his talent as a director) on that point, alone.  

And the Joker was fantastic, of course.  The transformations that occured around the end of the film's second act beautifully underscored its central theme of the dissolving border between good and evil.  I found The Dark Knight straining credulity in positing the Joker as a mad villain who acts on impulse while simultaneously showing the fruits of his labour to be almost always successful, devastating, and superior.  But then again, uncertainty (whether moral or logical) seems to be the major overarching theme here, so all is forgiven.  

I really want to see Ledger get the post-humous Oscar for this role.  Aaron Eckhart's only good until the end, and Christian Bale is a better psychopath than virtuous hero (seems to suit him more given his recent indiscretions with violence).

Hell is other people - Sartre
A lie, if not found out, becomes the truth - Rowd, Suikoden II
"Stay in there and keep fucking them until they're all dead!" - George Carlin, RIP
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:05 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"
There's nothing universally considered overrated.

Daggerstrike's post can be overly simplified into basically "everyone has their own opinions and just because everyone chose to like something doesn't mean it's overrated." So by saying that I can just say that I think it's overrated and just because everyone else thinks its not doesn't make it so that it's not...it's just an endless argument.

And just remember kids, overrated does NOT mean bad.

That's pretty much the point I always try to make. I don't understand such knee-jerk reactions to calling something overrated.

As for all this discussion of the next films and whether or not
Code:
Two Face is actually dead

is all purely speculation. Personally I think it should just be left as a duology though- like I said, where else can you take Bruce Wayne's character?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: