Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341182 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 28771 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 01:25:44 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
...what?

God damn, that review is terribly written. Iíve read better reviews on IGN.

Whoooosh.

The first comment on that page sums up my feelings nicely:

Man I hope this score is accurate and not just a product of the hype machine.

Seriously, The Dark Knight is one of the most hyped movies ever and it would ridiculous if it came out and it didn't get high scores. All Batman fans seem to want is anger, darkness, and stuff blowing up, and that makes a good Batman movie.

Good trailer is good. Matrix had a good trailer too, and it's not that great of a movie.

Disagree, The Matrix is a great movie.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 06:38:04 AM »

Man I hope this score is accurate and not just a product of the hype machine.

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I'm pretty much taking all these reviews with a grain of salt. Iím tired of reading reviews that tell me everything I want to hear without being at least slightly critical. Itís all hype hype hype when what I really want (well, besides them releasing the damn thing) is for someone who I actually respect (like say, James Berardinelli) to at least attempt to look at the thing objectively.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 07:10:51 AM »

Reviews as a medium are generally subjective by nature. You can't say that that review is full of crap merely because it's all praise - maybe the writer liked it just that much.

One thing annoying about reviewers is how they always have to try and debunk another reviewer's opinion, or at the very least, cheapen it when there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. It's the pseudointellectual version of fanboy arguing - which is to say it's juvenile and pointless; it only sounds reasonable.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »

Objective is the wrong word; Iím just saying that itís hard to know if itís sincere. Really, my problem with both reviews posted so far (although, especially with the Rolling Stone review) is the quality of the writing itself. I can genuinely say I wouldnít have a clue what the movie was about if I was just going off that RS review, in fact I wouldnít even know what was actually good about the film. It just seems to fall back on clichťs and buzz words, and the quotes in each paragraph donít seem to actually further a point, they just seem like theyíre there to pad the review.

Iím not stating that Iím a superior writer, or that the criticís opinions arenít valid. I just wish there was a little bit of insight into the movie. Thereís nothing I can gain from that review that I couldnít get from watching the numerous trailers that have been shown.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »

Quote from: "Blace"
Disagree, The Matrix is a great movie.

My point wasn't that The Matrix was a bad movie (I thought it was okay), it's that people hype trailers like no tomorrow because they have fast editing and mystique around them. Here's another example: Cloverfield. Everyone was going all "omg it's godzilla", "omg it's the second coming", and the movie ended up being...okay to just being bad because it was all exposition.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »

Cloverfield and exposition? What?

As for the Dark Knight: it'll be good, just wait and see.

Easily my most anticipated movie.

[/url]
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »

So I just came back from seeing this...

It was good. Really good. It lived up to my unreasonable expectations, which is pretty amazing. It was incredibly depressing though.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 11:00:05 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
So I just came back from seeing this...

It was good. Really good. It lived up to my unreasonable expectations, which is pretty amazing. It was incredibly depressing though.

How the heck have you seen it already?

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »

You know, they did have advance screenings in the US. Iíve talked to more than a few people online who had already seen it earlier this week.

But as to how I saw it; it got an early release here in Australia. I thought it was a bit weird, but I ainít complaining. Kinda makes up for us not getting Wall-E until September.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
You know, they did have advance screenings in the US. Iíve talked to more than a few people online who had already seen it earlier this week.

But as to how I saw it; it got an early release here in Australia. I thought it was a bit weird, but I ainít complaining. Kinda makes up for us not getting Wall-E until September.

I see. Thats pretty sweet. Wall-E was great, so it sucks that you guys have to wait so long after us.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 12:40:13 PM »

Wall-E doesn't come out till like, the 26th here too.

I'm probably gonna see it next week. I read a spoiler...which wasn't really a spoiler since it's something that was obviously going to happen anyway.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »

Really wanted to see the midnight show, but I have to work tomorrow morning :/

I'll have to wait till Sunday night now. I'm not too terribly disappointed about not being able to see it right away, but I'm really hoping I don't get spoiled by those that do get to see it.

I have a few hunches about what's going to happen and a hypothesis about one main character kicking the bucket, but I don't want to see them confirmed or denied until I see the film.

[/url]
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

I'll be going to the midnight showing even though I have school in the morning. Can't wait.

Edit: Also, it currently sits at 94% on RT. That makes it the new highest rated superhero movie over Iron Man (for now).

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2008, 03:16:37 AM »

Well, just got back.  Went in at 11pm, got home at 3am. =P

Sum it up...
BEST COMIC MOVIE EVAR

Only now am I especially sad at Heath Ledger's demise (as awful as it is to say... but c'mon, what else do I have to work with?  A Knight's Tale? NED KELLY? Def' not.)

From start to finish it was pure awesome.

Code:
Being a frail girl, I bit my fingers every time TwoFace would come on screen.  The details are especially vivid; and I'd often compensate by looking at the pretty half.

The ending was quite the downer is some sense, and....

Another point I want to say to sum it up...
For lack of better words...Everything happens in this movie.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »

Beat me to it... but yeah I just got back and agree that it is the best comic book movie ever. And one of my new favorites.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: