Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 28729 times)
Jet16
Posts: 870


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 04:36:49 AM »

Wow. That was incredible. I can't recall any movie that had me as excited as I was before seeing it and I can't recall a movie that has left me with this sensation after seeing it. I really could not praise it enough.
Logged
Hathen
Posts: 1992


FORUM IDIOT

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »

It better be as awesome as this.
Logged
Merkava
Posts: 427


Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"


Only now am I especially sad at Heath Ledger's demise (as awful as it is to say... but c'mon, what else do I have to work with?  A Knight's Tale? NED KELLY? Def' not.)


Uh...Brokeback Mountain?
Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL
Posts: 10913


Tawdry Hepburn

Member
*


View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 04:30:47 PM »

Anyone else feel the villains over-shadowed Batman?
Chrisian Bale just kinda cleaned up the crime, said something cool, and was followed up with some wit and wisdom from Alfredo.
Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
everluck
Posts: 1245


stay positive!

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 12:20:48 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Anyone else feel the villains over-shadowed Batman?
Chrisian Bale just kinda cleaned up the crime, said something cool, and was followed up with some wit and wisdom from Alfredo.

I think this was the point. The villain consistently outwitted Batman, and was only overcome when
Code:
other people- unknown variables- were brought into the equation.


Just got back from a showing. I don't want to give into the hype and say Heath Ledger's Joker was the best on-screen performance I've ever seen, so I'll just say I'm fucking blown away with what he did with that character. Damn impressive the way some of those lines were delivered, holy fuck.

The movie itself wasn't perfect. I'm still not really sure what happened with
Code:
the Scarecrow
at the beginning of the movie. That whole bit seemed throwaway and a bit confusing to me. Was also a bit put off by the fact that Batman could bend the barrel of a rifle while someone was holding it. Even accepting the fact that Batman may have been outfitted with some strength-enhancing technology, the man holding the gun would have been of equal or greater strength in order for the gun to bend. That was my biggest complaint, which is a shame, because it's something that happens early on and stuck in my mind through the whole film.

Bale played Bale, Freeman played Freeman, but everyone else- especially Ledger- was awesome.

I'm a big fan of Maggie Gyllenhaal, as well. I think she's very sexy. I didn't think this was her best performance, but I still enjoyed the show.

Some great moments in this film, definitely.
Logged

[/url]
jphussey
Posts: 1842


Member
*

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »

I thought it was great, but must admit it's a tad overrated. I think Batman Begins was better.

Give the nod to Aaron Eckheart though, I thought he was a gem.

JP
Logged
Blace
Posts: 3829


Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 11:03:40 AM »

As much as I love Batman Begins (in my top 5 movies ever), I think this movie was better. It had better acting (Bale was more confident in the role, Maggie was a better Rachel, and the rest of the cast was ace), a better story, a complex villain, and seriously was just the most entertainment I've gotten out of a movie in years.
Logged

jphussey
Posts: 1842


Member
*

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »

If you really want to get into a serious film discussion, i.e., what is a better movie intrinsically, then I think BB was better.

As a movie, it can stand on its own, had a much more engaging singular narrative, the editing and direction were much more solid.

Interestingly, as "popcorn entertainment," I also found it much more enjoyable.

In the same people love Empire Strikes back, however, I think people will love this.

But it's hard to say that ESB is better as a complete film than ANH because ESB can't stand on its own. It doesn't even have an end for God's sake.

This movie also doesn't feel whole or an end--it is a bridge of what's to come...

Also Josh, when you say (top 5 ever) do you mean in terms of your "favorite" or "best"....?

JP
Logged
Blace
Posts: 3829


Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:10 AM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
If you really want to get into a serious film discussion, i.e., what is a better movie intrinsically, then I think BB was better.

As a movie, it can stand on its own, had a much more engaging singular narrative, the editing and direction were much more solid.

Interestingly, as "popcorn entertainment," I also found it much more enjoyable.

In the same people love Empire Strikes back, however, I think people will love this.

But it's hard to say that ESB is better as a complete film than ANH because ESB can't stand on its own. It doesn't even have an end for God's sake.

This movie also doesn't feel whole or an end--it is a bridge of what's to come...

Also Josh, when you say (top 5 ever) do you mean in terms of your "favorite" or "best"....?

JP


As pure popcorn entertainment, I do agree that BB was better in that respect. I just thought that the character development of the villains and such was better in this movie (obviously Batman had more character development in BB, it was his origin story). The drama in TDK was intense and rewarding for me, much like "The Departed" was. I guess you can say that I thought this movie was more compelling. And by top 5, yes I meant favorites.
Logged

jphussey
Posts: 1842


Member
*

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 11:21:04 AM »

Ok. This movie isn't even the best I've seen this month (Wall-E).

JP
Logged
Blace
Posts: 3829


Member
*


View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 11:22:59 AM »

Quote from: "jphussey"
Ok. This movie isn't even the best I've seen this month (Wall-E).

JP


I thought Wall-E was good, but it dragged a little in the middle to me. TDK is my favorite movie so far this year. I guess we just have to disagree here :P
Logged

Dade
Rainbow Club Member
Posts: 1556


D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2008, 12:51:28 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
The drama in TDK was intense and rewarding for me, much like "The Departed" was. I guess you can say that I thought this movie was more compelling. And by top 5, yes I meant favorites.


Words right outa my mouth.

Was SO awesome.

Academy.....try to remember Heath at Oscar time.
Logged

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor
Posts: 12084


Stumpy McGunder- thumps

Member
*


View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 07:20:20 PM »

I just got back from Batman and...

What a complete and colossal disappointment.  That movie was the most overwrought, overrated, melodramatic piece of garbage I've seen in a long time.  I totally regret wasting my money on this tripe.  
.
.
.

Only kidding.  I fucking LOVED it!  Heath Ledger was so good as Joker (trumps Jack Nicholson's Joker any day), I was squirming in my seat every time he
Code:
asked people about his scars.
The writers did an absolutely stupendous job crafting his dialogue.  This movie did not live up to the hype.  It took the hype, pummeled it into submission, and made it its bitch.  

Hollywood is finally doing comic book movies correctly and the Christopher Nolan Batman films have been the best.

Two things I'm still unclear on, though.  
Code:
When and how did Rachel find out Bruce was Batman?  I don't recall him revealing his identity to her in Batman Begins
or is my memory just fuzzy?  And was there supposed to be
Code:
more with Scarecrow
that was left on the editing room floor?  It's like he was meant to be there, but was barely more than a fodder thug.  
Code:
Scarecrow was wicked in Batman Begins.  And reduced to some petty thug here?  Makes no sense.  Scarecrow got totally shafted.
I guess except for that, I loved the movie. [/quote]
Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
everluck
Posts: 1245


stay positive!

Member
*


View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »

The thing that I'm most impressed by is that The Dark Knight really isn't Batman's story; it's Gotham's. It takes ideas that were present in the first two Spiderman movies and molds them in a way more similar to gangster films or city-wide dramas akin to Heat.

After having a day to reflect on the movie, I have to say that The Dark Knight is really one of the most impressive films I have ever seen. It trumps BB in every way. It trumps most big releases, in fact. It really is one of the most powerful movies I've had the pleasure to watch.

And god damn was Heath Ledger incredible. I was expecting great things, but almost 24 hours later and my hair's still on end. That's fucking awesome.
Logged

[/url]
jphussey
Posts: 1842


Member
*

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
The thing that I'm most impressed by is that The Dark Knight really isn't Batman's story; it's Gotham's. It takes ideas that were present in the first two Spiderman movies and molds them in a way more similar to gangster films or city-wide dramas akin to Heat.

After having a day to reflect on the movie, I have to say that The Dark Knight is really one of the most impressive films I have ever seen. It trumps BB in every way. It trumps most big releases, in fact. It really is one of the most powerful movies I've had the pleasure to watch.

And god damn was Heath Ledger incredible. I was expecting great things, but almost 24 hours later and my hair's still on end. That's fucking awesome.


Jesus, Hyperbole alert? Most Powerful movies? Go watch Schindler's List.


JP
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  



Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!