Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:01:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334516 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The Dark Knight
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 27986 times)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2008, 11:48:04 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"
Hathen, am I correct in understanding that you just said anyone who disagress with your opinion is wrong? Because, fuck, I had really high expectations and The Dark Knight blew them the hell away. You might believe it's overrated, but I think the majority of people who've gone to see it have agreed that it's just as good as it was hyped to be.

I'd heard that it was good via Rotten Tomatoes primarily (which given the history of that site and previous Batman films was a fairly good sign), but I wasn't expecting "the second coming," so likewise when it exceeded my expectations, I wasn't coming into it thinking it'd be the best movie ever by leaps and bounds.

My motto is always go with lower expectations, as then you'll more likely come away being happy than disappointed.  I figured as long as it was even half as good as Batman Begins, I'd be all right with that, and it was easily better than that.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2008, 12:33:14 AM »

About the Two-Face transition...

Code:
I believe it was well-handled. Harvey Dent showed himself to have a real anger problem before his disfigurement and to be a person who would stop at nothing, including putting himself in harms way, to stop criminals. You have to remember that he was called Harvey Two-Face when he mercilessly went after crooked cops while in Internal Affairs, which showed he had somewhat of a dark side even before he was pushed over the edge. Also, you have to take into account the sheer frustration involved with the "I told you so" issue. The scene on the rooftop between Batman, Harvey, and Gordon introduced the issue that brought his world crashing down. Harvey feeling that he [i]told[/i] Gordon about the crooked cops working under him, and the fact that Gordon defending them allowed the woman he loved to be killed and his face to be horribly disfigured pretty much justified Harvey's rather excessive idea of revenge, especially since he did go mad, like The Joker said. Harvey's reliance on the coin became his self-imposed punishment, as everything surrounding him loosing everything revolved around a 50/50 chance. It was Harvey's [i]friends[/i] who determined his fate, not himself, which, combined with the fact that he surrendered all of his power to his coin, made it so that he could only blame others for his misfortune, making his anger directionless, frustrating, and much more powerful. I also believe that making Two-Face a direct result of "battle for Gotham's soul" and connecting him to the idea of Batman as a symbol makes him a much better assimilated villain than, say, Venom in Spiderman 3. Plus, we don't even know if he's dead. Only Harvey's funeral was shown, hint hint.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2008, 08:09:23 AM »

I don't know how many of you read the Least I Could Do webcomic (it's by the same people who do Looking For Group) but the current story arc of Rayne as Batman is awesomesauce!

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20080712  (this is the start of the arc)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »

I smiled at the one where hes a kid trying to get his parents to go into a dark alley. The others were pretty meh.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2008, 01:31:36 PM »

Okay....rumors floating about. And I'm not tagging this for spoilage because if you're reading this and HAVENT seen the movie, you pretty much fail, also...this isnt really much of  a spoiler.

There's speculation that Reese, the Wayne Corp. employee that tried to blackmail Batman, will be the Riddler in the 3rd movie. Reese is obviously intelligent, to have figured out who Batman was, and he thinks that he is far more intelligent. There's also the added angst of having Bruce Wayne save his life, and the strange way Reese handled that - he just kinda slunk away, and didn't thank Bruce or anything. Plus: Mr. Reese = mysteries

Hrm....now apparently the third installment isnt going to be for a few years (rumors are saying close to four) but....this sounds almost real. One problem......the name, yeah Mr. Reese works, but nothing beats Edward Nigma.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »

Meh. I was hoping they'd avoid the Riddler for a while, since he does the same sort of "game"-type things as the Joker.

I know Christopher Nolan said he didn't like the unrealistic characters, though, which sort of limits what can be done. Who can be presented realistically? Poison Ivy, Bane, the Riddler... but who else?

[/url]
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2008, 08:51:03 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Okay....rumors floating about. And I'm not tagging this for spoilage because if you're reading this and HAVENT seen the movie, you pretty much fail, also...this isnt really much of  a spoiler.

There's speculation that Reese, the Wayne Corp. employee that tried to blackmail Batman, will be the Riddler in the 3rd movie. Reese is obviously intelligent, to have figured out who Batman was, and he thinks that he is far more intelligent. There's also the added angst of having Bruce Wayne save his life, and the strange way Reese handled that - he just kinda slunk away, and didn't thank Bruce or anything. Plus: Mr. Reese = mysteries

Hrm....now apparently the third installment isnt going to be for a few years (rumors are saying close to four) but....this sounds almost real. One problem......the name, yeah Mr. Reese works, but nothing beats Edward Nigma.

Code:
While the rumor seems ok, I sort of vaguely recall the Joker kidnapping him and putting him in front of the camera to deliver the ultimatum.  The batman fan kicked the bucket shortly afterwards in a similar situation.  

I've never been a big Riddler fan, so hopefully not. :|  As far as what you were pointing out everluck, if one line can be assumed to be foreshadowing...

Code:
The new armor is specifically designed such that it could stop a cat.  Between that and the whole Rachel deal, Catwoman I think would fit both Nolan's criteria and the point of life where Batman's at too.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »

If he doesn't like unrealistic villains that crosses off about 90% of them. The only ones I can think of are The Riddler, The Mad Hatter, Catwoman, and Talia Al Ghul (Who I doubt can appear since Ra's Al Ghul is dead and all).

I really don't know where they can take the story from here. It's going to be hard to top this one.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2008, 10:55:37 PM »

Not true. Ra is immortal.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2008, 11:51:59 PM »

Quote from: "Vanguard"
Not true. Ra is immortal.

In the comics this is true, but who's to say the movies will follow that?

[/url]
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »

Quote from: "Hathen"
If he doesn't like unrealistic villains that crosses off about 90% of them. The only ones I can think of are The Riddler, The Mad Hatter, Catwoman, and Talia Al Ghul (Who I doubt can appear since Ra's Al Ghul is dead and all).

I really don't know where they can take the story from here. It's going to be hard to top this one.

You can probably cross The Mad Hatter off that list too; I have a feeling his presence would be a little too reminiscent of what they did with The Scarecrow.  But man, I would have loved to see Tim Burton do a take on him.

The only other character I can think of that nobody has mentioned is Deadshot, but there's no way a character that obscure to the general movie audience would make the cut.

Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2008, 12:43:12 AM »

Well, Deadshot had his moment in the Gotham Knight collection of animated shorts, which took place between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, so I think he can be crossed off the list too. I think that Catwoman, Bane, Poison Ivy, and The Riddler are good choices, but what about Mr. Freeze? I always liked his story, though his technology would probably be pulled way down to earth.

Code:
I'm sure Two-Face will be involved in the next movie. Like I said, there's really no indication of whether he lived or died. All we know is that Harvey Dent was pronounced dead and a funeral occurred, but there was too much talk of symbol and changing the truth to maintain hope for Two-Face's fate to be that certain.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2008, 01:07:21 AM »

Well I hope for Mr. Freeze. On another site I read (can't remember which one since I was at work but it was probably ign or something) they were saying that Patrick Stewart was under the running for Mr. Freeze in the past batman movie but they went for Arnold instead. Patrick Stewart as Mr. Freeze would be pretty awesome.

As for The Riddler he is a third-rate Joker, I figured Catwoman or Poison Ivy could be in it, my friend said he read somewhere they couldn't use Catwoman or Nolan didn't like her or something, but they will have to put a female love interest somewhere in the story so I would bet on a female villain.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2008, 03:36:02 AM »

Fuck you all. I want my Clayface.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:20 PM »

With over 100,000 votes in, this film sits at IMDB's Best film of all time.

Now that, folks, is the definition of overrated. As much as I liked this movie, go take a class in film history and then tell me this is one of the top 20 movies you've ever seen, or even 50.

Because it's not on mine. But that doesn't mean it's not good, it just means it is currently overrated,

JP
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: