Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 03:26:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327815 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Arc Rise Fantasia - New Wii RPG
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Arc Rise Fantasia - New Wii RPG  (Read 2755 times)
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »

I never really understood why people thought Mitsuda's work on Chrono Trigger was so great.  I thought the Chrono Cross ost and the work he did on the Shadow Hearts ost's was much better.  I can totally understand the love that XG's ost gets though.    

I think that one of Mitsuda's greatest strengths is that he makes use of a much larger range of musical styles than many other VG music composers, but maybe that belief is due more to the fact that his work isn't as prolific as some of the better known VG musicians.
Bill

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »

More output from Image Epoch, huh. It'd be great if we could learn more about the company. They just popped out of nowhere with ample staff and money (enough to to hire away veterans from Atlus and Tales Studio), despite the fact that Ryoei Mikage was simply a college grad/RPG fanboy with big dreams (basically, he says that as a teenager, his life was changed by games like FFVII and Xenogears).

He's either really good at sweet-talking publishers, or he's getting humungous parental assistance to finance his hobby cum business.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Quote from: "calintz"
whats wrong with Mitsuda?

This is an excellent question. Answer it PM, answer it!

My guess is he'll say that Mitsuda's gone downhill since the Xenogears/Chrono Trigger days. This is pretty universally recognized as fact, that his work hasn't been as good since he left Square.

But a lot of people think that changed with "Soma Bringer." And, IMO, the music in the "World Destruction" trailer was also excellent.

I've been working with some other collaborators on an interview with Mitsuda. He said he had a big game he was working on that *wasn't* World Destruction, but he couldn't tell us what it was. I guess we know now, and maybe we can press him for more details about this game.

IMO, the game looks beautiful, and I definitely want it. The fact that it's on Wii is even better, since Wii needs more "epic" RPGs on it.

Ramza

r u seyin dat FE:RD wuzzent epic?

I'm not terribly familiar with Mitsuda's work outside of the Chrono series, but I thought Deep Labyrinth's soundtrack was terrific.

Getting back on topic, teh game looks interesting. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:54 PM »

Soma Bringer also showed off some of his talents.  I loved the Sound Track and it'll be great to see more of his work.  I personally can't get enough.
I do have to agree though. IMO, while it did have its few epic tracks, I thought the rest of the Chrono Trigger album was pretty "meh".

There are two things I'll say about Misuda.
1) He can write beautiful work, these are usually to main themes or important moments.
2) He can't write battle music.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Soma Bringer also showed off some of his talents.  I loved the Sound Track and it'll be great to see more of his work.  I personally can't get enough.
I do have to agree though. IMO, while it did have its few epic tracks, I thought the rest of the Chrono Trigger album was pretty "meh".

There are two things I'll say about Misuda.
1) He can write beautiful work, these are usually to main themes or important moments.
2) He can't write battle music.

CT and CC are two of the best soundtracks in a game, imo. I loved the battle music in both of them too. Just typing this makes me want to open up Itunes and listen to some songs from those games.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:57 PM »

the man has faults, but no composer is faultless

i like his variety, tho that said, i'm not an avid vg music listener...
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 04:04:33 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Looked pretty good... until I saw Mitsuda was doing the music. I think I'll pass.

Wait that's a bad thing now? Plus I doubt he's going it alone, he's also working on Inazuma Eleven and World Destruction right now.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"

CT and CC are two of the best soundtracks in a game, imo. I loved the battle music in both of them too. Just typing this makes me want to open up Itunes and listen to some songs from those games.

Mitsudas name most definitely does not put me off from buying a game. I remain completely baffled by that comment.  I did think CT and CC had great soundtracks, but I recall HATING CC's battle theme.
Just having gotten a Wii I was pretty happy to hear about this game.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »

the regular battle theme in CC was pure shit, no doubt. Probably the worst song on the whole soundtrack.

However, there were a number of EXCELLENT battle themes in CC. Also, to anyone who thinks Mitsuda can't write good battle themes, listen to the last battle music for Xenogears and Xenosaga. :)

I'm glad we all agree that Prime Mover's statement was made of fail.

Outside the music, this game LOOKS great, especially for a Wii title. Does anyone know if it has any relation to the "Luminous Arc" series, or if Arc is just a fun new word to toss around...?

Viggyeld235

blackrosesoth blackrosesoth
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 03:16:02 AM »

Game looks interesting, as long as it doesn't have any cheesy elements like "Shake Wii-mote to dance" or "Use Wii-mote as sword" or even the infamous "Use Wii-mote like the bad Mortal Kombat game".

All for innovation, as long as it isn't cheesy...

Castlevania Wii = 3D Fighter?!  Whosahubbajiggawha?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 03:29:04 AM »

Personally I'd be happy to see them develop it entirely with "classic controller" in mind. I mean, some of my favorite DS games have minimal touch screen usage, including the newly-released FFTA2.

I'm with you Matt...the "innovation" part of the Wii has been overdone, and unless they have a real breakthrough up their sleeves, I'd be happy to do away with the gimmicks. :)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 03:41:47 AM »

I think intelligent use of the Wii's capabilities is fine. A natural way to use the Wii remote to make battle selections for example could be a great way to improve playability, or doing what PDS did and let you look around and examine things in the environment via a pointer.

Then again, most of the best usage the system has had has been from that pointer.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 12:05:28 AM »

If there's anything I don't like about the Wii's motion sensitivity, is how the movement of the remote often doesn't add up with the motion that's taking place on the screen (e.g., shaking the Wiimote to make Mario spin in Super Mario Galaxy; shouldn't you be SPINNING the Wiimote to make Mario spin? I digress). The movement detection can be pretty off sometimes.

As for Arc-Fantasia: winged mechs for the win; I'm reminded of Escaflowne, more than anything else.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 01:00:55 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
As for Arc-Fantasia: winged mechs for the win; I'm reminded of Escaflowne, more than anything else.

That's what I thought, too. I just hope they are as awesome as the mechs from Escaflowne.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: