Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:37:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Super Robot Taisen 1 & 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Super Robot Taisen 1 & 2  (Read 1428 times)
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »

Hi everyone.  I just recently heard about these games on the GBA and I'd like to know if they are any good.   I'm a huge fan of tactical rpgs so I'd like to know if it's worth buying.   Any comments?  Thank you very much.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:02:56 PM »

In my opinion, yes.  They are great Mech SRPGs.  Granted, that depends on how much you like the mecha anime style story.  However, the gameplay, and graphics are fun, and while it can be demanding at times, its still fun to play.  Check out this sites reviews for some more insight.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »

I'm assuming you're referring to the Original Generations games, since those seem to be the only games in the francise that have ever come over to the US.

In terms of both gameplay and storytelling, it's among my top favorites.  While the first one is good, the second OG blows it out of the water.  Like Serene Prophet says, it depends on how much you're into the whole mecha anime genre, but I'm not even that big of a mecha anime fan and I enjoy it a lot.  So being a die hard mecha junkie or even a fan of the francise isn't a prerequisite for enjoying the games.

Keep in mind that the OG games are but a small part of an insanely huge francise dating back to the original Gameboy, I think.  Most of the SRW games usually involve appearances from mecha anime characters and mechs and their storylines.  The OGverse (as the fandom enjoys calling it) just involves the characters and mechs created by Banpresto.  If you want to get more into the SRW francise, you'll have to import the games from Japan since there's really no chance of it being released domestically.

Sorry if I answered in a confusing way.  Long story short, yes.  Buy it, play it, love it.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »

I couldn't even beat it, as the last few stages frustrate me to no end. Yes, I loved OG1, and I've heard OG2 is better in every way.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:37:18 AM »

I loved them. Story, while a bit on the heavy side (dunno how you fare with that,) is interesting, and the cast is likable with a chunk of them recieving some good development throughout the two games. Gameplay is relatively simple, and the AI can be stupid, ramming into you with a 0%-%1 shot at hitting you, but it is fun, there are a lot of levels, and get get pretty lengthy. Saving at anytime is quite nifty, thus you do not need to feel like you are stuck marathoning a mission.

As for OG2, yes, it is completely surpirior, but much harder. If you are having troubles with the last few missions on OG1, there are a lot more brutal levels in the second game. Make use of what you learn in OG1.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:20:21 AM »

like everyone else said, they're awesome.

Both TBD and I wrote reviews for the two games. The second one is better...but don't touch it until you've played the first. :)

Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:19:43 PM »

Thanks guys, you're very helpful!  I think I will buy them on ebay.  You have all been very clear in your thoughts.  This is totally my type of game.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »

this thread only serves to remind me how sad i am that the ps2 remakes and gaiden will never see the light of day here. perhaps they are too expensive to translate.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »

I agree, it is pretty sad.  Then again, it'd be a pretty big project between OGs and OGG.  That's pretty much 3 1/2 whole games, about as long as the Arc the Lad Collection.

Ah well.  I've imported both OGs and OGG for the PS2.  It's fun to play and the japanese VA is great.  I just would have liked to have had some english voices to connect to the characters.  Guess I'll just have to keep making up my own. :P

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »

ditto on wanting OGs and OGG. :(

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »