Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 12:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318968 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 Print
Author Topic: Persona 4  (Read 97363 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

re: the comments section.  How is it possible to get through the entirety of this game and still think
Code:
Kanji is gay?
  Especially given that:

Code:
He's infatuated with Naoto(a [i]girl[/i]), the game outright tells you that the things that happen on the Midnight channel are fake and acted out according to what other people want to see and not what the subject actually thinks, and given that the -entire point- of his Slink is to point out that he's confused because of being made fun of over his hobby of sewing, and not over any sort of gender confusion.

I mean, seriously, do people even read the text of their games anymore?
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »

re: the comments section.  How is it possible to get through the entirety of this game and still think
Code:
Kanji is gay?
  Especially given that:

Code:
He's infatuated with Naoto(a [i]girl[/i]), the game outright tells you that the things that happen on the Midnight channel are fake and acted out according to what other people want to see and not what the subject actually thinks, and given that the -entire point- of his Slink is to point out that he's confused because of being made fun of over his hobby of sewing, and not over any sort of gender confusion.

I agree, but if you read the interview I just posted, you'll see that oddly enough it's supposed to be left to the player's interpretation.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #557 on: January 22, 2009, 12:23:38 PM »

I think that's just a cover line for people who haven't gotten far in the game/haven't played yet.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: January 22, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

There are still people out there who think Bridget in Guilty Gear is a girl, even though every game he's in clearly states in the story modes, manuals, and everywhere else official that he is a boy who was raised as a girl because of some superstition in his podunk village. 

No matter how much evidence you may wave in their faces, they'll still stick their fingers in their ears, loudly sing "LA LA LAAAAA" and continue to falsely believe that Bridget is a girl.  Not even the Chewbacca defense can work.

So then I just let it go. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:44:46 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #559 on: January 22, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »

The interview tragically omits the fact a large portion of the folks who'd probably like the last couple Personas a lot also like Japanese culture a lot and thus would get the rather common interpretation of the particular events in question. :(  Or at least I don't think it's a coincidence that on an anime forum I post at, there's a pretty hefty Persona 3/4 thread.  In defense of Dincrest's point and what was raised in the interview, a particular quote from a scene from about half of the way through the game I mentioned recently works rather well here:

Code:
Shadow Teddie's line for interpretations is as such: "Though you reach through the murk and the gloom to grasp something, you have no means to know it is the truth...In which case, why...?  What sense is there in yearning for truth?  Close your eyes.  Lie to yourself.  Live in blissful ignorance...It is a smarter way to exist."

Frankly, I find a game less compelling if there is one simple way to interpret it, but that's just me. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »

Very interesting interview with director Katsura Hashino and art director Shigenori Soejima:

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3172364

"Actually, the entire Persona series so far -- not just P3 and P4 -- has taken place in the same world."

" To be honest, we didn't make drastic changes to any of our recent MegaTen titles."

Those were the bits that really caught my attention.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:01:25 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:15 PM »

"Actually, the entire Persona series so far -- not just P3 and P4 -- has taken place in the same world."

Something interesting about this: I was talking to a longtime SMT fan at another board, and he pointed out to that one of the characters in the original Persona was from the original SMT main series line.  Which means, according to this interview, that world is the same as the Persona world.

Which means the Persona world will eventually undergo the Conception.

Which is kinda awesome.  Makes you wonder what will happen to Souji.

Also re the second point: I heard a rumor that there were some changes to Devil Summoner, mostly including cleaning up some nudity involving the bathouse and on some demons.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2009, 04:08:37 AM »

Having the characters from P3 and P4 meet in P5 would be awesome. That would be one hell of a party.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:11 AM »

P1 takes place in Mikage City which is something of a suburb off of Sumaru City where P2: IS and P2:EP take place.  I'm pretty sure they're anytown Japan settings that don't actually exist.  The SMT games take place in mainland Japan, mostly Tokyo.  So I think every MegaTen world is self-contained within its series.  Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers are a what-if scenario had the apocalypse in SMT1 been averted.  Raidou Kuzunoha's also a what-if world with an idea of what would've happened had Japanese history played out differently.  I don't think SMT: Nocturne's world is related to Persona's at all, so I doubt the conception will occur in the Persona mythos. 

SMT If... is a weird one in that it's something of a gaiden, takes place in some alternate dimension (the first scene of the game is the high school being warped into a demon dimension), and is kinda considered a spiritual predecessor to Persona.  In SMT: If... you can choose a male or female protagonist and the female protagonist cameos as Tamaki (Tammy) in P1, 2:IS, and 2:EP.  And if you play the P2 games, you will see townspeople wearing the uniform from Tamaki's school in SMT: If...

When I played the P2 games, it was pretty cool seeing the P1 characters all grown up.  And the connections between P3's and P4's world are quite apparent such as
Code:
P4's class trip to Iwatodai and Kanji's s-link making the pink alligator from Akinari's storybook.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:04:08 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
HeeHo

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

Something interesting about this: I was talking to a longtime SMT fan at another board, and he pointed out to that one of the characters in the original Persona was from the original SMT main series line.  Which means, according to this interview, that world is the same as the Persona world.

Which means the Persona world will eventually undergo the Conception.

Which is kinda awesome.  Makes you wonder what will happen to Souji.
I don't want to rain on your parade too much but that sounds like a big stretch. :P.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »

Code:
Kanji is gay?
  Especially given that:

Code:

i assume that he is
Code:
bisexual.
i mean even i found
Code:
naoto
strangly alluring

also i'm shocked that people find the p4 characters more relatable than the p3 ones. the p3 high school was closer to my own than yasogami high.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »

I don't want to rain on your parade too much but that sounds like a big stretch. :P

How so?  If the same characters existed across the multiple games, they must be in the same world, so that follows that events that occur in one game must eventually happen in another.  That's not a stretch, it's just logical.

It's like Breath of Fire.  Since Deis(not to mention other various characters) and the legends of the ancient warrior princes stick around from game to game, one must assume that the games all take place in the same world, eons apart from one another.  It thus follows that the events of one game must have taken place at some point during the timeline of the other game's worlds.  It's the exact same concept with SMT now.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #567 on: January 24, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »

also i'm shocked that people find the p4 characters more relatable than the p3 ones. the p3 high school was closer to my own than yasogami high.

I'm with you on this one.

Actually, this game made me realize how much I love P3 and it's atmosphere. P4 is too...yellow and cheerful. Not to mention Kuma who annoys me to no end.

I'm still in the middle of game, so I'll save my final judgement for later.

Btw, when does the game end in-game? The date?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #568 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »

The game is technically over on

Code:
December 24th.  Then you'll time skip to March when the MC is getting ready to leave, and if you go the True Ending route there's one more dungeon to finish on that day.

And what's wrong with yellow?  I liked the P4 color scheme.  And I don't really see how the game is any more "cheerful" than P3, although both games are relatively less dark than past SMT games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2009, 01:04:51 AM »

I don't want to rain on your parade too much but that sounds like a big stretch. :P

How so?  If the same characters existed across the multiple games, they must be in the same world, so that follows that events that occur in one game must eventually happen in another.  That's not a stretch, it's just logical.

As I understand it that's only half-right. A Shin Megami Tensei: If... character appears in P2, and that game was following the what if scenario that
Code:
Thor didn't nuke Tokyo and so the apocalypse didn't come.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: