Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 10:40:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327325 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39 Print
Author Topic: Persona 4  (Read 100681 times)
Musashi
The Original Brave Fencer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: December 12, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »

I love Mass Destruction, though I'm probably the only one here that listen to J-hiphop.

Your not the only one and Mass Destruction is my message ringtone...*realises how much that scares him* -_-''

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: December 12, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »

Got my copy yesterday in the mail from Amazon and played for 7 hours. Impressions:

- Everything seems to level up alot faster in this game than P3, which I like.
- Battle music sucks, but I like the soundtrack as a whole so far. ( I did like the P3 battle music).
- I think the story has a much better pace than P3 did. I also like the characters more.
- Being able to control all characters in battle is a godsend (which I actually find kind of pathetic considering some RPG series have had that since their first installment).
- I like the art style and character designs more in this game than I did in P3 (yellow FTW!).

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 12, 2008, 01:47:29 PM »

In The Answer, you have to grind, even if you know the enemies weaknesses. The bosses have insane HP in that game, so having Odin at a high level is really important.

That sounds like the exception, and I probably won't ever get around to seriously playing that as I've spoiled about everything that has to reveal.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: December 12, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »

Picked it up tonight. Just got home \(^^)/

Had pre-ordered it from EB, but went I went to EB they said the art book was only a "certain allotment" and that it was "first come, first serve".

Cancelled my pre-order, walked across the street to the local game store where I usually buy my used stuff, found P4 with the art book for $5 less than I would've gotten it for at EB.

Lesson learned.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: December 13, 2008, 06:27:53 AM »

Got my copy on Tuesday and have been playing it every day since. Loved its predecessor and am loving this one even more, it made the right changes in almost all the right places in my opinion.

On the 4th dungeon now and I was wondering if (Spoilers for up till the end of July):

Code:
Kanji is really gay? I mean, the way they explained his shadow side made it seem like he was just afraid of his not so masculine hobbies and the rejection from girls manifested itself in a obviously homosexual way. But afterwards, he is shown still denying it and the whole thing being played up for laughs almost, not to mention him getting a nosebleed after seeing the girls in their swimsuits. I'm just curious seeing as they beat you over the head with the innuendo and almost seem to do an about-face on the issue after he joins.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 06:29:58 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: December 13, 2008, 08:41:36 AM »

I'm not far into Persona 4 and am putting it on hold to play Eternal Eden (an indie RPG.)  I just finished the part where Chie
Code:
faces her shadow.

Fantastic game, but I'm not quite sold on Chie's voice or main's battle voice either.  At least naming main Yuuya Narumi this time isn't an alliteration nightmare like P3 (Yuuya, Yukari, and Fuuka was a bit much).  I hope there's a Nanako s-link.  That kid is cool. 

When I picked up my preorder, the young lady behind the counter knew I was getting Persona 4 before I even said anything.  We geeked-out about the series, she warned me not to look at the artbook since it had spoilers, and we talked about conventions.  She was really cute too; had a pert li'l body on her.  If I were 10 years younger, I'd have tried to score her digits 'cause she looked like she was maybe 18 or 19 at the most.  I'm 30.  I'm old enough to be "that creepy old guy" even though people think I look 24. 

Everyone has horror stories about GameStop employees, so I figured I'd share an awesome one.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 05:52:03 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: December 13, 2008, 02:08:55 PM »

I never have horror stories because I've been going to the same Gamestop for about 5 years now and I know every employee that works there including the managers and they give me free stuff all the time that they aren't supposed to. They also know what games I like and which ones I'm going to be getting after 5 years of seeing me.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: December 13, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »

I never have horror stories because I've been going to the same Gamestop for about 5 years now and I know every employee that works there including the managers and they give me free stuff all the time that they aren't supposed to. They also know what games I like and which ones I'm going to be getting after 5 years of seeing me.

Funny, it's getting like that with the local indy store I go to. I've been going there six months and know the regular employees by name.

Dincrest - I'm at the same part you're at. I really like Chie's voice actor.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: December 13, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »

I'm currently a bit past where I got in the Japanese version before I decided I'd wait to play the English version so as to not spoil myself much. I'm loving the fuck out of this game! I'm really happy with Teddie/Kuma's English VA, and I really like Yousuke's and Yukiko's as well.

One thing I've noticed though is that this game really represents rural aspects of Japan well, in that there seems like there's a lot /less/ to do than there was in Persona 3. I like the more rural atmosphere, but I feel like I'm really limited in what I can do in day-to-day non dungeon crawling life.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: December 14, 2008, 01:14:11 AM »

That's kind of what I like about it Marshmallow.  The time I spent in Japan was in a rural town like this.  Kinda brings back memories, minus the J-Pop.

I don't know if I was underleveled/underprepared or what, but man some of the bosses in this game take quite awhile to beat.  One of the ones I beat tonight took about 30 minutes it seems.  Was kinda nail-biting since After 20 minutes or so, i really didn't want to do it all over again.

Dumb question if anyone's tried it:  What happens if you don't rescue anyone?  Is there a scene?  Or is it just like "You didn't save X before the fog"?  Game over.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: December 14, 2008, 01:47:21 AM »

Small scene indicating the person died then Igor summon you. He can move you back a week or let the game end. You lose all progess if you pick the 1st choice. I accidentally let it happened when I failed to clear the 2nd dungeon on time.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2008, 01:43:51 AM »

Amazon just told me they had to delay the damn shipping. No P4 for Christmas break for me. I'm so damn raged now. I should've preordered from that stupid EB, but I hate it.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2008, 04:13:22 AM »

I had planty of time to play it over the weekend. The only think I'm not too crazy about is Chie's VA, the rest is just as good as I expected. There are lots of little gameplay tweaks that really help a lot. When you're in town you can teleport anywhere by just pressing the square button, even between different floors of the same building. All that running around from P3 is gone.

The items dropped by the shadows can be sold at the weapons store. As soon as you sell the items needed to create a particular weapon he will create it immediately and put it up for sale. After a bit of grinding in the first dungeon I was able to buy some very powerful weapons and armor that really helped me with the first boss.

There is so much to do that it can be overwhelming but sometimes you can actually go out in groups and max more than one SL at the same time. Also, your characteristics (knowledge, dilligence, etc) can be improved during dialogues with other characters and not only by studying or other activities.

For example, if you go to the library with Chie your relation with her will improve and your knowledge will increase. You can kill 2 birds with one stone and it feels great because you feel like you're making a lot of progress in little time.

Part time jobs are also great because they allow you to make money AND boost your stats. Again, 2 birds with 1 stone.

Lots of new personas, the ability to control your party members and a difficulty somewhere between normal and hard in P3 round up a fantastic experience that is just as addictive as P3.

The way that the game deals with the darker side of the human mind makes up for a great story and all the characters are very charismatic. I just wish Chie had a different VA

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2008, 05:32:43 AM »

The way that the game deals with the darker side of the human mind makes up for a great story and all the characters are very charismatic. I just wish Chie had a different VA

Her voice got to me too in the beginning, but I think the voice actress kinda slides into the role later on and she's not so bad anymore.

For those who've been playing, who's been your favorite Social Link so far? I have to say mine is either the Hierophant's, the Devil's or the Priestess'.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:34:53 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »

Her voice got to me too in the beginning, but I think the voice actress kinda slides into the role later on and she's not so bad anymore.

I noticed that too. She sounded better during my last play session. I hope she stays that way, she sounds really awkward in some of the early dialogues.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 39 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: