Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 10:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "Countdown Site" = Chrono Trigger DS? remake, new
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: "Countdown Site" = Chrono Trigger DS? remake, new  (Read 26917 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2008, 11:52:20 AM »

Quote from: "calintz"
where did they source that info?

I'd say it would be from this.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Viggyeld235

blackrosesoth blackrosesoth
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »

I am sorry, I liked CT back in the day but I am always annoyed when Enix puts another "sacred" faux-cow on the market and hopes that people will pay yet ANOTHER $40 to get this version because it has an extra dungeon and some enhanced dual screen action.  

I am for giving us remakes of games that didn't make it stateside or are just rare, that is fine.  Helps cut down on the aftermarket price.  However, don't give the same ol' tired stuff.  Do something innovative with the old dog.  Granted, we haven't heard squat in regards to this port other than rumors and whatnot, but knowing Enix, they will put a bow on it, say the bow is all the enhancement it needs and will wait another few years to put a different color bow on it and call it new and improved.

As you can tell, I am just a WEE bit bitter at Enix.  And no, I am not calling them their "real" name, it is all Enix under that glossy exterior.

Castlevania Wii = 3D Fighter?!  Whosahubbajiggawha?
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 12:19:25 PM »

again, there are young kids who never played an SNES. You're not considering them in the equation.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
again, there are young kids who never played an SNES. You're not considering them in the equation.

Dont forget, it never saw a release in PAL territories. Im sure there are plenty of people in Europe/Australasia whod be interested in picking it up, since the DS is region free and all.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »

where did they source that info?
are the famitsu scans online?

if that is true, then there's no mention of a "remade" 3D engine...

RPGamer is pulling that from S-E USA's press release on the game, we're getting the game this holiday season. There is no readable version of the Jump scan.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »

having read the press release - you'd think they'd emphasize on 3D remake if it were...

oh well... 2D glory it is...
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »

As long as there's no pointless stylus gimmickry simply for the sake of stylus gimmickry in this version, fine.  Hell, best if there's zero stylus gimmickry period.  Although, having gameplay on the top screen and the menu on the bottom screen where I can navigate it with a stylus is not a bad idea.  

Will I buy it?  No, I already have a SNES and a CT cart with a save with all characters but Magus at level 99.  I bought that cart on Ebay for $50 the day before 9/11 so it has some sentimental value to me.  But as a viable option for people who missed out on it?  Fine.  However, personally, I'm more interested in original content and remakes/ports of games we have not yet gotten outside of Japan, such as Star Ocean 1 or some of the SNES-era Dragon Quest titles.  I'm willing to just let remakes and ports be what they are.  It's good business sense to release them since I'm sure Chrono Trigger DS will make SE a bigger chunk of change than The World Ends With You did.  Though if I'm not mistaken, TWEWY didn't do so badly in the US, probably due to positive critical response.  Hell, I f'n loved the game.

Oh, and why is nobody singing "The Final Countdown" by Europe.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »

I wonder if they'll do a new translation a la the GBA ports of Final Fantasy IV through VI, since a lot of the original script was cut out because of the Super NES's space restrictions.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »

More than any of my other favorite games (Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy IV, Shining Force, Phantasy Star II), no game holds up better to a modern first critique than CT.

If you haven't played it, you're in for a treat.

JP
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »

Quote from: "Der Jermeister"
I wonder if they'll do a new translation a la the GBA ports of Final Fantasy IV through VI, since a lot of the original script was cut out because of the Super NES's space restrictions.

I certainly hope so.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »

Hmm, an enhanced port.  I hated how the press released almost embellished the word "unchanged".

Ah well.  More script, new dungeon, hopefully some new techs.  Or whatever.  I've played the game a half a dozen times, so I'm more curious about what they'll add.

And more importantly, if this brings any (new) future titles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »

Eh, I'm fine with remakes but I'm probably just gonna skip this one. I have the PS1 version and I already put it on my PSP so this is pretty useless to me. Even with all the additions in the DS remake. I don't go crazy over the Chrono series so I guess this also factors in to my whole lack of interest.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »

This is great. I didn't care for the PS1 version, so this is well be an improved port for me. I do hope the graphics look a tad better. Not that the game doesn't look great, as it is, but a stylistic approach would be neat.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »

I'm really looking forward to this. I never did get all the different endings. I do own the cart, but something about being able to play it on the go is appealing to me. I don't have much time to sit around playing tons of games now, so being able to boot it up on my DS and play for 15-30 minutes at a time is nice.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Lard"
Yay! Another pointless remake!

Shut up.

Seconded.

Quote from: "Eusis"
sigh... another remake...

You shut up too.

Seconded again.

Quote from: "Larahl"
And who knows, if the game sells well, maybe Square Enix will decide to make a new Chrono game.

Agreeage; my thoughts exactly.

As for me, I probably won't be picking it up; I played it enough times when I had the cartridge, and I must've rented it 5 times before I actually got it for Christmas; as for how many full playthroughs of it I did after then, I can't remember. Played it into the ground.

NOW, if they wanted to do a full on remake in 3D, that WOULD be something; just watch, they're releasing a port before they release a full-on remake...much like with FFIV Advance Vs. FFIV DS. Just watch. I think I'll just wait.

My cousin's pretty pissed about this, though; he just picked up Final Fantasy Chronicles (PSX) recently, and then the FFIV DS came out, and now this CT port...

P.S. As for original content from Square-Enix, I dreamt last night that I actually got my hands on a copy of Code Age Commanders (PS2); I had to get it imported from one of those Scandanavian countries; I think the game turned out to be in Swedish.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: