Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338625 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  "Countdown Site" = Chrono Trigger DS? remake, new
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print
Author Topic: "Countdown Site" = Chrono Trigger DS? remake, new  (Read 27363 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2008, 05:20:24 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Quote from: "Lard"
What racing game did Square do in the PS1 days?

I do that they were more experimental back then.

along with what Spy just said, there's also Chocobo Racing. Which came to America.

Oh you're right, I'd forgotten all about that.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »

Quote from: "Akira"

It's true that in the PS1 and SNES eras, Square was much more experimental; Seiken Densetsu, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Parasite Eve - some of their best work was done back then. Since the merger they've been remaking games like it's going out of style. Part of it has to do with how much more expensive and time -consuming games have become to make. Companies have to invest millions of dollars, years of work, and an expert staff often numbering hundreds of people just to make one new game.

True to that, and that's another reason to dislike the current generation. Mind you, not that i wanted videogames to perpetually stay in the 16 bit era, but right now is just too much fuss about pointless things and little attention in the things that actually make a game fun to play.

Anyway, considering Valkyrie Chronicles is coming out this year in America, it's good to know there is still something new to play in the JRPG arena.
LoneCynic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »

Chrono Trigger is one classic that deserves to be ported over to a newer system.  The Playstation port was a failure due to flaws with loading times and other small glitches that made it nearly unplayable to all but the most dedicated and patient fan of the game.  It is my favorite RPG of all time, and even I could not stomach the Playstation port.  

Considering that the Super Nintendo original cart is the only version worth owning at the current time, and that many gamers (myself included) fear the save battery dying out in the coming years, this is an excellent choice for Square-Enix to bring out with some updates.  

A full on 3D remake of this would not suit the game or its style.  I am pleased with the decision, and look forward to purchasing the game for Nintendo DS.  The port is warranted as it not only gives players another shot a highly enjoyable classic RPG that they may have missed, but it also gives long time fans an updated version with some extras, and tests the waters for the possibility of another Chrono sequel.  

As to the overall discussion on remakes/ports in general, it is definately a case by case basis.  Demand, popularity, current climate for the reception of the game, and profitablity all are taken into consideration I would imagine.  With the advent of downloadable games on the current generation consoles, there is a lot of room for test projects, and pet projects to become a reality that otherwise may not have ever seen the light of day.  Square-Enix seems to have a hands off approach to these with a lot of their titles, but it could be a great way to test the waters for potential future efforts of new, classic style RPG titles, and non-RPG genre titles alike.  

Who wouldn't love to see Einhander drop as a Playstation 1 downloadable on the Playstation 3 Network?  Be a great way for many to get their hands on this much sought after shooter, and at the same time an inexpensive way to test the market for the possibility of a new sequel to that game.  Look at what Keiji Inafune is doing with MegaMan, a new "retro" style sequel for the Wii that has many gamers (myself included) delighted with excitement.  Excitement over a new...NES game?  Absolutely, in this instance, it is an inexpensive gamble for Capcom, and could lead to a whole new sub-genre of downloadable games.  "Retro" style games with afforadable development budgets, and potentially enough side profits to round out the results at the end of the fiscal year.  Square is testing the waters with My Life as a King on the Wii, but I wonder what would happen if they had attempted that new Final Fantasy 1 remake on the WiiWare lineup rather than as a PSP "remake"?  

I can sit here, and admittedly play situation/market analyst, proposing what-ifs and answers to problems in the choices made by corporations, but it doesn't amount to much.  My goal is just to get your gears turning, and add some thoughts to the table for further discussion.  Opinions will always vary, but I am glad to see the market changing and evolving.  For me, having the ports and downloadables is a positive trend.  As much as I love the newest and greatest titles, I always have a soft spot for some of my old favorites to come along for the ride as well.  

How many DVDs did you purchase over the past decade that you also once owned on VHS?  How many more will you now rebuy on Blu-ray?  Potentially not as many, but the argument can be applied there as well.  I am already seeing a trend of lower budget films being released on Blu-ray at lower than normal prices.  Not for everyone, in fact most will be content to merely play the DVD versions of most movies on a Blu-ray player.  However, if it happens to be an old favorite, with enough new content/bonus features, it could potentially warrant a re-purchase to the right fans.  

Gaming is becoming more mainstream and common as a source of accepted entertainment in homes.  No longer just a niche interest, "toy", or domain of geeks, people of all ages are embracing gaming.  The game makers will re-release what has sold well in the past, and it would seem that the number of remakes and ports is on course to increase even more in the future.  With rising development costs every year, every generation of gaming, this will be the means by which they makup the extra money they need to survive as a market leader as a developer, any developer.  

In closing, I will just use a cheap Forrest Gump quote:

"That's all I have to say about that.."
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »

um... you seriously want me to read that?
point form please :p
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »

What is wrong with the PS1 port? I think I have unusually high patience because I don't remember any loading problems.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
What is wrong with the PS1 port? I think I have unusually high patience because I don't remember any loading problems.

I guess you have even higher patience than me (I'm willing to sit through Odin Sphere's slow down and loading times - that others say it has); the PS1 Chrono Trigger practically damn well acted like it CRASHED or FROZE when it had to load something, and I'd swear it'd take 10 MINUTES just to open up the menu.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"

Was it the only version you played? That might help a lot since you don't have memories of CT running smoothly and instantaneously to make it all the more jarring.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2008, 11:29:53 PM »

Yeah, it's the only version I've played. The last time I actually played through it fully was 5 years ago. I'm assuming I would have less patience when I was 12, but I still played through it twice and don't recall any grievances due to loading issues.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »

Quote from: "calintz"
um... you seriously want me to read that?
point form please :p
Unless English is your second language, just read through the post.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2008, 12:21:31 AM »

That was my gut response, but then I actually read about half the post and he's reiterating a lot of stuff that's been said before.

He could've still read it to point THAT out though.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2008, 01:39:57 AM »

i did eventually go thru it, but point form would have been best

in anycase, i've come to realise that i wouldn't mind a port to the DS, as it would give CT to a new audience if advertised well, which is good, as to school new kids on what an JRPG should be...
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2008, 01:49:25 AM »

The gaming world is pretty astounded by this.  Good to hear that a simple SNES RPG shook so much ground.

I really, really,do hope the extra goodies are worth it though.  The Advance version for the FF games were pretty good.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »

Supposedly playable at E3.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-enix-s-e3-line-up-the-last-remnant--song-summoner--the-unsung-heroes--chrono-trigger--dragon-quest--chapters-of-the-chosen--ffiv-ds--star-ocean--exit-ds--legend-of-kage-2
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »

oh i want to try the demo

no wait... :p
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
Eh!
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »

Doesn't look like there will be any secret characters...

...But if there WERE...

Who would you want? Feel free to just make random people up.

I vote for Crono's mom. How many games allow you to use the hero's fucking MOM. That'd be tight. Or maybe Johnny, aka "The Man."

I don't really remember many other NPCs...Maybe someone from Crono Cross?

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: