Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 08:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329226 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Survival Horror
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Survival Horror  (Read 3726 times)
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

If Homecoming is as scary as sleeping puppies, then SH2 is as scary as a playful kitten.  Srsly, the game is way too bright for a SH game and all the enemies react to the flashlight only, so turning it off makes every single non-boss in the game as aggressive as wet wallpaper.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »

I actually did have an easier time of just rushing through what I played of Homecoming before getting stuck (sort of) on a boss, whereas 2 scared me enough to put it down for a long time, and left me unsettled when I did play.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »

Well, I would wonder if that simply had something to do with you being more used to horror games?  When I played my first few horror games I was absolutely terrified of what was going on, but nowadays I go through games like Dead Space without even batting an eye.  I could still tell that it was tense and fairly scary, I just wasn't.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »

I dunno, I don't play too many horror games really. The fact I managed to get through Silent Hill 2 probably says a lot of either how scary it is or how interested I was in playing it, but Dead Space leaves me on edge. Maybe it's the type of scares, and Homecoming didn't go far enough in either shocks or eeriness... or the shocks were trite (let's repeat a scene from Silent Hill 2! And make it play out utterly predictably unlike it did in the original!).
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »

I actually thought that dead space was a very tense and sometimes scary game.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 01:33:40 PM »

Dead Space didn't scare me much after the first hour or so of playing it. Started off giving me crazy vibes (e.g. Event Horizon shit) but that just faded once I got into it. The SH games have a quiet, desolate scariness to them. Not outerspace desolate; there's just something horrifying about being in f*cked up versions of towns or places that should, rightfully, be filled with people. The theme park place in SH3 really got under my skin.

I'm going to borrow Homecoming off of a friend maybe, just to see how it is, and then shell out the cash to buy the game if I like it.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: