Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 12:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319154 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Judge my metal band... please?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Judge my metal band... please?  (Read 2631 times)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »

I play bass in a metal (nu metal? alternative?) band and would like to hear what the metal gurus here have to say about it.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYHqlrf2R7o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h5a3SHZeq0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZffihNFaM&feature=related

I live in a town of 2600 people so of course people will compliment us every time they see us.  I want honesty though, and I treasure this forum's ability to nitpick.  My concerns are that we sound as if we are from a dead era.  What do you think?

(if this is spam, I apologize)

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 11:23:22 PM »

I'm not metal expert, but that first song didn't sound like metal, it sounded like a regular rock song (granted I only watched a little of each song.)

The other two sounded like typical metal songs since I didn't understand what was being said.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:51:04 AM »

To be honest, I wasn't really into it.  The riffs often got monotonous and there was little variety in the songs.  A solo or breakdown in there would punch it up and add some variety.  That's one of my beefs with modern rock- no solos.  I also didn't hear much variation between what the lead and rhythm guitarists were playing.  During the quieter parts there was some, but I don't think the band would sound much different if you took one guitarist out of the equation.  

I also found your band rather boring to watch.  You guys didn't connect with the audience at all and didn't really have any presence.  When performing intense music like punk or metal, I like to see the band really getting into it.  I like to see intensity in the band.  Stomping all over the stage, jumping around, big movements, basically presence... not just a bunch of dudes standing in one place staring at their fretboards.  

Your frontman needs to be a focal point of the band, a commanding presence, and he kept fading into the background.  A frontman should never do that.  There was a 10 second period during that first song where I saw a glimmer of intensity in everyone... but the frontman stepped behind the band to do his 'dance' and he faded.    

The opening of that first song almost sounded like "Criminal" by Fiona Apple, and a good metal cover of that song would be mindblowing, since it's such an intense song.

I approve of this nonsense!
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »

*Deep breath*

It's not Metal, mate.  ...Sorry.  :(

It's more...  I dunno, grungey Alice in Chains meets nu-metal.  I dunno if this is gonna piss you off or not, but you all almost sounded like Godsmack on the first track.

Now, I don't want to just come in here with my dick out and piss all over your shoes, so my two main good points are: Clean riff in the first track was pretty cool.  Reminded me of Acid Bath.  Secondly, your bass is pretty sweet.  Is it a Thunderbird?  Looks like one.  Pretty cool.

My main constructive criticisms are...  Tempo changes are your friend.  The same tempo for every track will bore anyone, including yourselves eventually.

Your vocalist, as Dezo said, needs to become more aggressive.  He needs to be able to grab everyone by the balls and get them to go OH SHIT LET'S PAY ATTENTION.  I've seen a lot of local bands with boring front men and thusly, no one pays much attention to anyone else.  It's a little bit shit that a band usually will fall by the way side if the frontman alone can't garner the attention of the audience.

Lastly, more variation in the riffs would be paramount.  This is a problem I had for the first, like, five years I played guitar.  ...I didn't know the top three strings existed.  :P

I'd like to be updated with any future songs you guys put up.  I might not be so keen on the current tracks, but I am interested in seeing you guys progress.  Keep me up tp date, duder.  :P

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.  Yes, my bass is a goth style Thunderbird.  It has seen much (pointless) abuse in the years I've owned it and it still stays in tune.

Anyway, that was the second show we played with this group of grindcore/death metal bands.  I told my bandmates that we sounded like Britney Spears by comparison after the first show with them, so we almost didn't play this one.  This time, the lineup was much more diverse, but we all felt weak and out of place, and that probably shined through in our performance.

I'll let you know how things progress.  Before I joined the band, they made a cd at Pachyderm studios, and several of those tracks are here http://www.myspace.com/entropyfan in case those sound better.

Actually, before I joined entropy, I was in this band (same members except for the singer(s) ) http://www.myspace.com/spreadremedy

...in case you are that curious.  I know videos are much more fun haha.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »

Man, it's hard to be metal when the sun is up. :P  I always hated playing outdoors anyway, but it's hard to get in the proper mindset when flowers are blooming, children are laughing, and rainbows and gumdrops are falling from the skies.

You boys just need some seasoning.  It's hard to be a rock god when you've only played a handful of shows.  Stage presence will come with experience and with a zen-like comfort in the material you're playing.  That means hours and hours of disciplined, productive practice.  If you're not treating it like a job, you're failing already.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »

I listened to some of those MySpace recordings of Entropy.  I must say, your boys' studio sound is quite comfortable and natural.  Really good.  Your vocalist, who I thought was kinda limp in the performance vids, came alive in the studio recordings.  

This is impressive to me, because the recording studio is such an unnatural and rather clinical environment to play what with all the dissection of parts and remeshing them with software.  The recording process was not a fun one in my old band (and our recordings were shite, for multiple reasons.)  I always preferred playing live and felt our band was stronger and sounded better live than recorded.

If you can pull off the kind of intensity and heart live as you do in those studio recordings, you'll be well on your way.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »

Our current drummer used to be the guitarist for this band, so now whenever he writes a song, he records the drums, guitar, and bass himself before presenting it to the band.

The song we are working on now, that he wrote, is called "bloodmarch" and is on his myspace here:  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=221070594

It has a solo, because he has said himself that since Korn came out and all that other new metal stuff came out there hasn't been many guitar solos (as you said, Dincrest).

I suggested to our drummer that we only play each part of the song once except for the intro and outro, which are the same.  It felt like we were playing the same stuff for 10 minutes.

He actually got really defensive when I suggested this to him, so I'd like to hear what you guys think of it.  I also suggested that we play 'diluted' (on the entropy myspace) the same way by cycling through each part only one time straight to end.  The song is 4 minutes long, and if we pared it down to two minutes it would be like a quick punk song or something.

I'm getting a lot of feedback on repetition, thats for sure.  This is an RPG forum, so I'll make a comparison between long RPG's that you never finish, and short sweet ones that end before you get bored and therefore become complete, positive memories.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 10:45:36 AM »

I was just kicked out of this band for moving out of state despite making the commute to practice.  What a strange experience.  Do you have any nuggets of wisdom that might apply to anyone in my situation?

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »

Their loss.  Do they even realize how hard it is to find bass players?  A good bass player is IMO the hardest thing to find in a band since there are fewer of us running around than guitarists and even drummers.  

So you got kicked out of the band.  If you as a bassist can hold a solid groove and pick up on material quickly you'll have little trouble finding another gig.  Or you can take the opportunity and use the time to woodshed a bit and get better at bass.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 11:55:30 AM »

They had a guy on deck apparently.  He was there when I got to our practice, and he left before I even knew what was happening.  The guy was offered to try out for the position of 3rd guitarist, months ago.  I told them back then that 3 guitarists is so pointless.  

Anyway, they didn't think I would make the commute, but I did, just like I said I would.  Minneapolis to Spooner, WI.  I rule.

One of the biggest compliments I had gotten was that I pick up on stuff incredibly fast.  However, I haven't written any songs.  I could write a book on this, but long story short, yes.

I'm bitter as fuck.  My girlfriend has put up with so much shit for me being in this band... this is small town drama.  ugh.  Thanks for responding.  I'll let you know how it goes.

This is normal huh.  *laughter*

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »

Bands are drama incarnate.  That's precisely why I got out of it all.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

Just form your own band.  This way you have TOTAL CREATIVE CONTROL.  And you don't have to put up with idiocy.  :P

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 07:42:31 PM »

I am staying with one of my closest friends right now; he's a honcho at work, and got me this job.  We were actually in a band together when we were fifteen years old.  

D-rider called it, didn't he... its like having a second job, and I've got offers.

I'm not joining shit for bands because then "they" will have emotional ammunition to fire at me.  For example,

"See?  He was more into that style anyway."

I'm completely fixated on revenge.  My girlfriend is now receiving a ton of attention and whatnot; blah blah blah.

It pisses me off because they TOLD ME that I have all of these opportunities and shit... motherfuckers can't graduate highschool... no one can tell me how I feel, or what I want to do...

Is that too cliché?  Default rebel cliché?  

Thank you for the responses.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 10:29:08 PM »

That sucks being kicked out of the band for a dumb reason like that. If you sucked at bass, that'd be a good reason, but, as you said, you actually made it to practices and such.

I'm in no band, I go solo as an emcee, so I have no idea about band drama, but I know a few people that are in rock/metal bands.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: