Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341179 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Maiden Heaven - new Iron Maiden tribute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Maiden Heaven - new Iron Maiden tribute  (Read 4300 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »

Well I listened to the audio samples and I'll say it's seemingly not as bad as I expected :P

I actually liked the version of wrathchild they have, it's sloppy and punkish and since I expected someone trying to cover bruce trying to sound like paul and since bruce can't do it to begin with I figured it would blow completely. Trivium doing Iron Maiden sounded decent as well.

As for Hallowed By Thy Name, it is of my opinion that only Iron Maiden can play that song slow and it be interesting, every other band better speed that fucker up or it gets boring for some reason. Machine Head did not speed said fucker up.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »

so I'm listening to this album right now. I'm about halfway through, I was going to wait to listen to the whole thing but I'm not going to finish it tonight. So far Two Minutes to Midnight is the worst cover, it's just absolute trash. Metallica don't do that bad a job with Remember Tomorrow but it is in my mind the best Iron Maiden song and they just can't do it justice. Devildriver doing Wasted Years was pretty decent but some of the vocal delivery was just dumb.

I gotta give credit to Sign for trying something different with Run to the Hills, but for a tribute album changing a song so drastically isn't cool. I don't like the whole feel of the song but really I would prefer more covers that did something like this...just, you know, good.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 09:48:49 AM »

The good: Dream Theater - To Tame a Land is the best on here. They stick close to the original, but still has a bit of room for Petrucci and Rudess to flex their muscles. It's pretty awesome. LaBrie's sounding good too. I can see why he was approached to join Maiden when Bruce left.

Metallica's Remember Tomorrow is pretty good. Avenged Sevenfold do a good job with Flash of the Blade, though the vocals aren't so strong. Trivium do quite well too. Interesting version of Brave New World by whatever that band's name is.

The bad: Madina Lake - Caught Somewhere in Time is AWFUL. Stupid fucking band obviously just don't have the chops to play it so they've made it SHIT and called it an 'interpretation.' Ugh. Run to the Hills is also pretty dire.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 11:27:43 PM »

I like Machine Head's version of "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

Metallica's "Remember Tomorrow" is a lot better than I expected, though Opeth's version is still better.

Wrathchild is good, as is Brave New World.

I thought Devil Driver doing Wasted Years would be good but it sounds like someone is shoving glass into his throat. Those vocals fucking suck.

Pretty disappointing, but I didn't expect that much.

What's with all the bands with weak ass vocalists on this compilation? (IE Fightstar)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: