Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 10:27:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329954 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Stupid RPG conventions/cliches you can't get past.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Stupid RPG conventions/cliches you can't get past.  (Read 21765 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2008, 03:04:56 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Play Magna Carta.

Let me think about that for a second... No.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »

;_;

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Quote from: "Leyviur"
Play Magna Carta.

Let me think about that for a second... No.

Seconded :P.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

;_;_;

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 03:47:24 PM »

Something I see in many RPGs, both Japanese and non-Japanese, that is relatively realistic but is an annoyance that takes away from the fun is breakable weapons.  I'm not fond of breakable weapons in RPGs.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Something I see in many RPGs, both Japanese and non-Japanese, that is relatively realistic but is an annoyance that takes away from the fun is breakable weapons.  I'm not fond of breakable weapons in RPGs.

It doesn't bother me that much, as long as they don't break after a few attacks. Of the games I have played, I think Oblivion and WoW did it pretty well.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 04:32:51 PM »

I don't mind if weapons break as long as it's not permanent.
What's even worse is if there's no indicator of how damaged it is...Izuna really bothered me in this aspect.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

I'm sure somebody has already said something about having to control yet another flock of teenage idiots/saviors of humanity.  I think that's why I like Mass Effect and Oblivion so much.  Hell, there aren't even any NPC kids in either of those. :P

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »

Since Lost Odyssey was mentioned, and kids were also mentioned, those dumb kids that join your party was the moment that Lost Odyssey went from average RPG to mediocre RPG.  It's one thing when the atmosphere is cartoony like Grandia, but it's another when the game takes itself too seriously and then you have ten-year-olds standing up to knights who are being mean for the sake of being mean, so as to have an excuse for the obligatory boss fight every other hour.  It didn't help that Lost Odyssey's idiot kids are named Cooke and Mack.

Did I mention Lost Odyssey sucks?
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »

oh how come i forgot that!

i don't like games that rely on teenagers to save the world... seriously!
LO was going to be great, until those kids came along - but then again, 90% of JRPGs have teens as the protagonist -_-"

i guess you could count the number of JRPGs that didn't have kids in the main cast on both hands...

i guess that's why Vagrant Story was so awesome...
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »

I agree; that's what probably made FFVI (or any prior FF) so awesome was the otherwise-entirely adult cast...except for Relm, and she wasn't stupid, even for a 10 year-old.

I'd like to see a new FF attempt an adult cast, as opposed to a teenaged, or even an adolescent cast.

Then again, a teenaged or adolescent cast might actually work, so long as they weren't mired by the typical teenaged/adolescent problems.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:10 PM »

Another RPG convention I'm sick of in both US and Japanese RPGs: traditional swords-and-sorcery fantasy.  I want more sci-fi dammit.  I want space travel.  I want cyberpunk.  I want chromed out futuristic cities.  I want flying cars.  I'd also like to see more modern/contemporary settings as well, like those in Persona or Earthbound.  This is why games like Space Siege and Alpha Protocol have caught my interest.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 01:45:24 AM »

I'm fond of GameFaq's list of the day for this...

#10: Characters and enemies that start out weaker than in the prequel. (Final Fantasy X-2, PS2)
I know that not exercising can make you lose the work you've done for it... but dude, level 99 to 1 blows a big cock.

#9: Characters that have no fighting experience, but join overpowered. (Suikoden series, PS1/PS2)
I hate 9 year old team mates.

#8: Characters you get that are 100x weaker than their boss forms. (Chrono Cross, PS1)
It would create balance issues... but, boo. =(  
Why can' attacks just be weaker!

#7: Love stories. (Final Fantasy VIII, PS1)
Excessive and lame?  Boo.
Mind you, as a girl, I sap to some.

#6: Ruins that nobody could solve, but were blatantly obvious. (Suikoden series, PS1/PS2)
No one has entered these mysterious ruins since 19-ought-5!  Holy fuck, a key!  Of course!

#5: Best Friend Betrayal (Kingdom Hearts, PS2)
Creates good tension, I'll admit.  I want a Monte Cristo version, where the best friend just fucken hates the heroes guts and isn't helping on the side and from afar.  And then sleeps with the heroes love interest, impragnates her, and has the sun turn on the hero too!  Fucken A, I'd buy 8 copies of the game.

#4: Characters that join without reason, and stay through all difficulties (Chrono Cross, PS1)
Answer: altruism

#3: Poor shops that have the best items, and pay top dollar for your equipment. (Final Fantasy XII, PS2)
I think about this every time I play a game; how can the Kingdom's capital have shittier equipment than the boondocks?

#2: Finding children/civilians at the end of dungeons (Suikoden series, PS1/PS2)
Of course, it would be pretty upsetting (if not awesome) to see a corpse of the kid you were supposed to save or being made the lair's boss' bitch.

#1: Mandatory Tutorials (Paper Mario series, N64/GC/Wii)
Heartless.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Madoka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 02:24:34 AM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
My biggest gripe is missable stuff. I don't mind games that have ridiculously hard things to find as long as they aren't 1 time chances.

Square loves to do this shit, Zodia Spear anyone?

I'd have to agree with this one. Especially since you had 4 chances to blow it. I don't mind hard to find/get at stuff. IIRC, VP: Silmeria had a chest that I never could figure out how to get... But at least it was still there, taunting me.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »

I think we can all agree on this issue of young heroes in most JRPG's, and it's not just their age, many developers seem to have this idea that kids must always be annoying, stubborn or just plain stupid for no real reason. Vyse and Aika in Skies of Arcadia were young characters, but they weren't walking cliches or specific emotions, they were fun to watch and you felt quite comfortable playing with them.

I still can't exactly pin this whole obsession with youth in JRPG, and within many other things in modern japan. Maybe is because society is aging a lot over there? I guess this is mainly a thing of consumer demographics, with teens being some of the main buyers of RPG over there. But heck, i remember, from the trip i made this year, seeing plenty of salary men and other assorted 30 something japanese men in the trains playing all sorts of RPG's on their DS and PSP. Most kids were just browsing the internet in their cell phones or sending text messages.

So, while playing a young boy that is just experiencing the world in a game might be a fair enough, sometimes i would like to play with a character who already has been there and done that, and who is learning new things from this new adventures. Ashley Riot was a great main character, people like Bash, or someone like Old Snake. It will be a very welcoming change.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: