Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 02:46:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334561 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Stupid RPG conventions/cliches you can't get past.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: Stupid RPG conventions/cliches you can't get past.  (Read 21872 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Also, playing through Legend of Mana. Two things. Manuals that don't explain anything *suck*.

That's the problem with nearly all of Kawazu's games.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »

Unlimited Saga...game might have been somewhat enjoyable if they told you how to play the damn thing.
mizuki_no_beatdown
AMG A GIRL

Women are from Venus

mizuki_no_beatdown@yahoo.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
My big problem with WA4 was that the adults kept perceverating on trying to explain the difference between what makes them "Adults" instead of "Children". WTF?!

Yes, that was so effin' weird. I remember fighting some regular joe soldier that said, "Do you really want to make adults angry?!" as he shot a thirteen year old in the face with a bazooka.

At least it was an annoying thirteen year old.

Playing : Lunar the Silver Star
Recently Beaten: E.G.G.
Awaiting : Red Dead Redemption, Arc Rise Fantasia
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2008, 12:59:33 AM »

This kinda goes along with "Kids saving the world," but I get a little irritated when the player is supposed to assume that the characters have had some form of training and have resigned themselves to their fate of fighting life-threatening battles on their quest. It's easier to assume this with older characters than younger ones I suppose, but I guess I'd like to see more reactions and explanations from the characters.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: August 31, 2008, 01:11:26 AM »

Yeah definately a major one for me is the Kids saving the world thing.  I mean I liked it when I was like a teenager, but now that im in my early twenties, its like...ok Id like to play someone who can down a beer without being yelled at by his mom for underage drinking...or something.  I dunno.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:24 AM »

Which is why it kinda boggles me. Most of the people who liked the games are growing up and they're not mutually exclusive to kids anyway, so why do we still keep getting this crap? Then again they're the ones with the most time to blitz through them, especially with how Japan sounds about work hours.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: August 31, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

That's the problem with nearly all of Kawazu's games.

Kawazu didn't really have anything to do with the design elements of LoM from what I remember. He was the producer although whether or not this amounted to anything more than certain SaGa Frontier enemies showing up is anyone's guess.

I mean I liked it when I was like a teenager, but now that im in my early twenties, its like...ok Id like to play someone who can down a beer without being yelled at by his mom for underage drinking...or something. I dunno.

Because, IIRC, in Japan, teenagers are still the main target audience for games.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: September 07, 2008, 03:38:41 AM »

I think it's similar too in anime, where most of TV are about japanese students and their school life.
But it would be great to see JRPG with Record of Lodoss War style or Tolkien style. I mean elf, dwarf and bard etc in party and great storyline. And not fighting against giant mushrooms and other obscure enemies but classical orcs and dark elfs etc.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »

you mean like WRPGs?
Royal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: September 07, 2008, 05:36:47 AM »

yes, WRPG environment in JRPG gameplay and anime style. For example more medieval fantasy style and no samurai, ninja, sci-fi stuff.
Jeanne d'Arc is good example.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: September 07, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

I've said it once and I'll say it again, a lot of you should definitely try Anachronox.

I'd like to see more "North American JRPGs" where Japanese style gameplay is paired with North American style storytelling/narratives.  And we are seeing more "American manga" nowadays.  Dirk I. Tiede's Paradigm Shift is one American manga that I'm really digging.

I've said this before in the thread, but I'm sick of fantasy RPGs from developers anywhere, be it North America, Europe, or Japan.  I want more modern/contemporary settings or sci-fi settings (preferably cyberpunk over space opera.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »

American... Manga?

I just... ah forget it. I donít want to know.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2008, 10:42:56 AM »

How else to describe a comic with an American narrative but a more Japanese style design?  "American Manga" is a succinct way to put it.  

I'll broken record again with Anachronox.  Is there any way to describe it other than "North American JRPG?"  It has Japanese style gameplay mechanics, but the story, setting and characters are very American.  After all, Ion Storm was an American developer.  

Interesting how the term JRPG can refer less to the game's country of origin but more toward a certain genre or subgenre style.  If you look at the upcoming Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for DS, it too is a North American JRPG.  Black Sigil's developer, Studio Archcraft, is Canadian.

And whether those contradictory terms break your brain or not, this kind of hybridization is occuring and at times it can actually be pretty good.  Just like fusion cuisine or fusion music, it's all about mixing flavors.  Heck, look at how the RPG genre has evolved incorporating tons of different gaming elements over the years and we still debate about what an RPG is and whether or not X, Y, or Z game is an RPG or not.    

Makes you wonder, will it be a North American developer who makes a North American JRPG as Royal would idealize, or will it be a Japanese developer making a Japanese WRPG as Royal would idealize?  It's interesting too how the North American Wizardry series found a pretty good place/niche/whatever in Japan; and how such unabashedly Japanese RPGs like Persona 3 and The World Ends With You (which I believe sold better in American than Japan) are finding a solid place/niche/whatever in the US.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »

what about the opposite?
american style rpg, with characters, style, music and design of japanese rpgs?

i know alot of ppl play jrpg for the design, but are turned off by the gameplay...
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »

american style rpg, with characters, style, music and design of japanese rpgs?

I've always thought of the SaGa games as being somewhat along those lines. Which is one of many reasons why I love them so much.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: