Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 08:24:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338610 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Legend of Heroes Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Legend of Heroes Discussion  (Read 2220 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:43:59 AM »

I saw the recent news post about the 6th game in the series being announced for the PSP and I thought I'd start up a thread for discussion of the series.  As luck would have it, the PC Chinese versions of the 6th game just came out in Taiwan a week or two ago.  Here are my thoughts about it based on the five hours or so I've played.

Graphics - Looks pretty similar to Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (not surprising since they're both Falcom games).  Colorful, not too fancy 3D graphics + 2D sprites.  I love the artwork for the characters and some of the special moves are fun to watch, but other than that, the game isn't too exciting in this department.

Music - Enjoyable, but none of the songs have really stuck out.

Sound - No Voice Acting sadly.

Gameplay - Quality old school gaming here.  Battles remind me of a turn based Grandia.  It's got a cool system where you equip crystals to a grid (which is different for each character) in order to use magic.  In addition to magic, each person learns various personal abilities which can be used by spending TP - TP is gained by attacking enemies and by being attacked.  There's a ton of optional quests due to the way the story is set up (you work in an adventurer's guild like in Arc the Lad 2) and surprisingly the optional quests are more entertaining than you might expect.  Difficulty has been decent with a mix of easy and hard battles (inevitable with so much optional stuff).

Story - I like the two main characters.  The heroine and main character is very similar to Prier from La Pucelle Tactics but more likeable.  The main guy (her brother, but adopted) is responsible and introspective.  At least in the Chinese version, their personalities really have come alive so far despite their cliches.  So far, I haven't really come to any major plot beyond them becoming full fledged members of the adventurer guild and the heroine's father being summoned away to a distant land on some important mission.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the game.  The fact that it only cost $30 for the deluxe edition with music CD, character pictures, and a very nice 200+ page full color art book was very cool.  Hopefully the PSP port of the 6th game won't have major loading problems and will get picked up for the US.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:42:39 PM »

I was impressed that the PSP was getting an RPG. (it's becoming barebones in the RPG department on the PSP) I still need to pick up the last Legend of Heroes game, though.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 04:28:35 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
I was impressed that the PSP was getting an RPG. (it's becoming barebones in the RPG department on the PSP) I still need to pick up the last Legend of Heroes game, though.

Sadly, the only RPGs the PSP seems to get are ports.

Has this been comfirmed for release in America? Cuz it looks purdy.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 04:46:16 PM »

Nope, it has not been announced for a US release. Problem is, Namco Bandai has an odd strategy of releasing Eiyuu Densetsu games in the US. First they release the second Gagharv triology game as Legend of Heroes in the US, only to release the first game as Legend of Heroes II. So, it remains to be seen, whether they choose to release the final game of the triology to the US, after releasing Legend of Heroes II this summer. So you will have to wait and see. After all, Eiyuu Densetsu VI will only hit Japan in late September.

Sadly the majority of the more than two dozen PSP RPGs already available in Japan are ports and remakes, but there are same original games as well. However the majority of those games have not seen US releases. From the original stuff only Tenchi no Mon (Kingdom of Paradise) and Bounty Hounds have seen a Stateside releases with Blade Dancer to follow suit. However, arguably more interesting games like Twelve, Innocent Life: Shin Bokujou Monogatari and in particular Kouji Okada's Jewel Summoner remain Japan-exclusive for the time being.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 10:57:11 PM »

There's SIX Legend of Heroes games?

Wow.  I thought there were only two.

I have the first one for PC-Engine, but my Japanese is not quite good enough for me to play it.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 04:33:23 AM »

In fact there are seven. The first two games, then the Gagharv Trilogy titles (Eiyuu Densetsu III-V) and Eiyuu Densetsu VI: Sora no Kiseki First and Second Chapter.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 10:55:16 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
In fact there are seven. The first two games, then the Gagharv Trilogy titles (Eiyuu Densetsu III-V) and Eiyuu Densetsu VI: Sora no Kiseki First and Second Chapter.

And while we're at it, aren't they all spinoffs of the Dragon Slayer games?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »

Not that I'm aware. The Eiyuu Densetsu series after all is Nihon Falcom's second flagship series after Ys.
James8BitStar

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 05:25:49 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Not that I'm aware. The Eiyuu Densetsu series after all is Nihon Falcom's second flagship series after Ys.

I get the impression that they're a spinoff because the first game in the series is called "Dragon Slayer:  Legend of Heroes."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: