Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319168 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The new epidemic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The new epidemic  (Read 1801 times)
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »

We must band together, my brothers, and put a stop to these racist toddlers.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 01:01:43 PM »

Or...you know...the kid just might not like the taste of the food. Just a thought.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:04 PM »

I'm conflicted by this.  I kind of agree with this article.  It's more the attitude the kid gives about the food rather than the dislike.  Saying "yuk" wouldn't be a big deal, but teaching kids at that age about acceptance and different cultures would definitely be beneficial.  I wouldn't go so far as to call them racist though.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 01:44:14 PM »

Quote from: "Azrael"
I'm conflicted by this.  I kind of agree with this article.  It's more the attitude the kid gives about the food rather than the dislike.  Saying "yuk" wouldn't be a big deal, but teaching kids at that age about acceptance and different cultures would definitely be beneficial.  I wouldn't go so far as to call them racist though.

I completely agree about teaching kids about acceptance and different cultures being beneficial. Despite my general disdain for human kind there isn't a specific culture or cultures that I dislike as a whole. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I moved around so much and that I was exposed to a LOT of different types of people, their cultures, and their foods. That doesn't mean I didn't say yuk when I tasted something I didn't like. Unfortunately at the age they are talking about, the subjects can't really express themselves in a way that would show whether it's the taste or the idea that they are against. It would be great if the toddlers could say "I do not like the taste of this food, but I appreciate the way in which it was made Mr. Mexican" or "This rice is gross just like your people, Mr. Mexican"...instead they say "yuk" and we are left to interpret that and guide them into an understanding and appreciation of other cultures.

/rant

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »

I agree with this 100%.  The only way to combat racism is to root it out before their age hits double digits.  I remember back in kindergarten we had this world food day where the teachers made us sample a variety of foods from around the world.  When Ms. Belzer brought me an egg roll to eat, I told that kike to goose step her way over to the garbage and get that ching chong shit off of my plate.  If I had been corrected with love and care instead of the beating I received at her hands, I might not be as full of hatred towards Asians and Jews as I am now.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

Children by nature of their biology have sensitive palates and simply cannot handle spicy food the way adults can.  Even Indian children don't like spicy curries and have to acquire a taste for spice as they get older.  Children also have more highly sensitive taste buds than adults which is why if broccoli tastes bad to us, its flavor is 10 times more intense to a young child.  Capsaicin in hot peppers is way more sensitive to children's taste buds than adults' taste buds.  Even then, some adults can handle spice better than others.  

Disliking spicy food is just that.  Disliking spicy food.  Not everyone can be a rabid consumer of lamb vindaloo.

I approve of this nonsense!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 03:28:33 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
I agree with this 100%.  The only way to combat racism is to root it out before their age hits double digits.  I remember back in kindergarten we had this world food day where the teachers made us sample a variety of foods from around the world.  When Ms. Belzer brought me an egg roll to eat, I told that kike to goose step her way over to the garbage and get that ching chong shit off of my plate.  If I had been corrected with love and care instead of the beating I received at her hands, I might not be as full of hatred towards Asians and Jews as I am now.

There's a joke here somewhere, I just know it. Like, "Don't make me kung fu your ass, Farmer Joe," or something.

Someone help me out, here.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »

The Telegraph, from what I've read of their news articles, tends to blow things out of proportion in order to create sensationalism. I doubt that child workers would go that far, and common sense is used.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »

There is combating racism, like name calling, which should be addressed quickly and seriously.

Then there is food which is a completely separate issue. Trying to make children eat something they don't want to. Half the time, you can't even make them eat fucking vegetables, and you want them to eat a curry?

It's this kind of ridiculous oversensitivity that is PCism at its worst.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
ching chong shit

Fuck, I could really go for some chop suey now.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

It's pretty frustrating trying to get your kids to eat anything they aren't used to.  You have to force them to try anything new.  Maybe this will scare "soft" parents into forcing their kids to eat their veggies out of fear of raising racist children, but that idea is pretty far out of the box.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

In keeping with the above: I think we need to get off the McDonalds diet first, then we can worry about whether our tongues taste black or white. :P
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 08:46:28 PM »

Is racism the only taboo left?  It's beautiful to be a fat, homosexual, multi-racial amputee.  "Fast food makes you fat" doesn't seem like enough motivation to eat right anymore.  Again, I highly doubt that this is really what the article was aiming for.

I have read that some Neo-Nazi groups consist of bored rich kids.  If those racists were given nothing but what they wanted to have, I could imagine them having such picky tastes as to not even being able to even look at someone who is different without throwing a tantrum (or a molotov).

Maybe there is something to that.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: