Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 12:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340870 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rogue Galaxy coming to the US in October
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rogue Galaxy coming to the US in October  (Read 5784 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 09:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "Seiken_Densetsu"
Yeah, I was happy about this.  From what I have heard, the game does planet travel better than the Star Ocean series, but the battle system feels clunky and unstable, and definitely not as good as Star Ocean 3's (or Star Ocean 2's for that matter).

Yes, Rogue Galaxy does planet travel much better than the Star Ocean series seeing as how the Star Ocean games of late haven't really been doing planet travel at all (crash land on some backwards planet in the first hour and then the game pretends to be a regularly fantasy RPG).

Definitely not as good as Star Ocean's battle system?  I'd be hard pressed to find an Action/RPG with a worse battle system than Star Ocean 3 (it's been a while since I played SO2 so no comments there).  Combat in Rogue Galaxy is substantially more entertaining than anything I saw in SO3.  SO3 had a very clunky combat system  as it seemed to take half a second before the controls would register anything you did whereas Rogue Galaxy features very responsive controls & fast based battles with plenty of cool enemies and bosses.  To spice things up, Rogue Galaxy frequently throws expert challenges at you where meeting a certain condition in a battle within a time limit (like only using a certain character or not using a certain type of attack) will give you nice bonuses.

Really, the only thing wrong with Rogue Galaxy is the dungeon design.  Some of the dungeons are absolutely massive which wouldn't be a bad thing, but they're often extremely repetitive as well.  Other than that problem, the game is excellent all around.

SabreWulf11887

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Yeah, I was happy about this.  From what I have heard, the game does planet travel better than the Star Ocean series, but the battle system feels clunky and unstable, and definitely not as good as Star Ocean 3's (or Star Ocean 2's for that matter).

Yes, Rogue Galaxy does planet travel much better than the Star Ocean series seeing as how the Star Ocean games of late haven't really been doing planet travel at all (crash land on some backwards planet in the first hour and then the game pretends to be a regularly fantasy RPG).

Definitely not as good as Star Ocean's battle system?  I'd be hard pressed to find an Action/RPG with a worse battle system than Star Ocean 3 (it's been a while since I played SO2 so no comments there).  Combat in Rogue Galaxy is substantially more entertaining than anything I saw in SO3.  SO3 had a very clunky combat system  as it seemed to take half a second before the controls would register anything you did whereas Rogue Galaxy features very responsive controls & fast based battles with plenty of cool enemies and bosses.  To spice things up, Rogue Galaxy frequently throws expert challenges at you where meeting a certain condition in a battle within a time limit (like only using a certain character or not using a certain type of attack) will give you nice bonuses.

Really, the only thing wrong with Rogue Galaxy is the dungeon design.  Some of the dungeons are absolutely massive which wouldn't be a bad thing, but they're often extremely repetitive as well.  Other than that problem, the game is excellent all around.

Do the characters have special skills they use?
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"

I thought that the Star Ocean 3 battle system was fantastic, and the controls (with Fayt anyways) was perfect.  Had it not been for the occasional glitch, and the sometimes annoying MP Death, it would easily be my favorite battle system of all-time.  You are the first person I have heard call Rogue Galaxy's battle system fast-paced and responsive, too.  Most people I know say that it is very clunky, and unresponsive, or utterly average.

And they also say it is a pretty big rip off in Star Ocean 3 in many ways, although I fail to see that yet (except those expert challenges sound a lot like Battle Trophies from SO3). =D
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 11:29:22 PM »

Rogue Galaxy really doesn't have much of anything in common with Star Ocean aside from similar names and both being Action/RPGs.  Rogue Galaxy is basically Kingdom Hearts combined with Star Wars with a huge dose of anime thrown in.  Star Ocean starts out as Star Trek, then turns into Generic Fantasy RPG #513, and then gets all weird and stupid (I was about to list a specific anime, but that could be seen as a massive spoiler).

There are definitely complaints that could be aimed at Rogue Galaxy's combat, but slow, unresponsive, and clunky are the wrong complaints to be making since the combat is quite fast paced and responsive.  Rogue Galaxy is essentially a button masher at heart as your commands are basically limited to attack, shoot, jump, pick up/throw (nearby items & enemies), block, charge attack, and spells.  There are a ton of spells with a variety of effects, however none of them require any dexterity to use - you select them from a list, the game plays a cutscene, and voila!

Although the game is a button masher, it's not completely brain dead.  The game doesn't switch to a separate battle screen when combat begins so you can take advantage of terrain.  Also, there's a good variety of enemies, some of which require a little creativity to defeat.  Then you throw in deciding when to use your spells and the game's combat has a surprising amount of depth despite its relative simplicity.

Why am I arguing with someone who hasn't even played RG and whose sources are unidentified "most people I know?"  I have no clue.

Of the two games, Star Ocean 3 has by far the slower paced and clunkier control.  I take back my earlier comments; SO3's combat isn't bad, but it's not my style.  SO3 may be slower paced, but it's also more strategic than most Action/RPGs.  On the other hand, I prefer fast paced action in my Action/RPGs - Give me Zelda, Diablo 2, DMC3, Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, Tales of Symphonia, or Rogue Galaxy over SO3 anyday.

Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 01:19:04 AM »

You do realize that all of this is a matter of opinion, and none of what we are saying is fact (about us saying what we think about Star Ocean 3, and what you think about RG), right? =P
Malevolent_Angel

Magun246@hotmail.com Magun246@hotmail Magun246@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 12:47:03 PM »

I'm excited about RG, it looks like they're doing a good job of combining the furturistic setting of the game with the medieval/ pirate-like feel of the story and the combat system.

We hold in our hearts, the sword and the faith. Swelled up from the rain, clouds move like a wraith. Well after all we'll lie another day. And through it all, we'll find some other way. To carry on, through cartilage and fluid. And did you come to stare, or wash away the blood?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: