Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 03:54:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337926 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Holy Crap. Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Holy Crap. Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360  (Read 29286 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "daschrier"
Now we have just another game that's dumbed down to work on both consoles.

Given how FF usually is they probably don't have to compromise much, if at all, to make it work great on both platforms, and MGS4 has thrown into question what significant benefit the PS3 hardware has over the X360.

What do you mean??

I was looking at the Gamefaqs FF13 forum... some people are in a rage stating that this was one game they bought the PS3 for.  As much as I'm not surprised that Game Faq-ers are throwing a hissy fit, I do think there is a problem when the FF13 message forum is in the top 10 spot for PS3 message boards and hasn't been released yet.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2008, 08:00:52 PM »

Kyle, it's real all right.  I watched G4's coverage of the Microsoft press conference and that last minute FF13 announcement blindsided everyone.  

I know it seemed like wishful thinking that a main installment FF would go multiplatform, but it did and it's a good business decision for Square Enix.  I mean, the #2 video game consumer market is the United States and since the 360 is a stronger console over here, Japanese developers are realizing that in order to penetrate the US market, they need to rethink some strategies.

EDIT: Still, my wishful thinking regarding RPGs is a remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga and a sequel to Anachronox, both of which are never happening.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »

Come the fuck on, isn't this at least a LITTLE surprising?

Maybe it was just founded on anti ps3 bias and me never wanting to get one, but I've just been waiting for se to announce as much for awhile now.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Lame....

Now we have just another game that's dumbed down to work on both consoles.

This console generation is turning into PC gaming.

One of the biggest advantages console gaming had was to deliver an amazing gaming experience given the hardware the console had.
Now we have games that can't be optimized for any set of hardware and have to work universally.

Anyone who thinks the 360 or PS3 is that much different in visual capability is silly.  They're both running GPUs based on PC videocards from ATI and Nvidia two generations ago... almost three considering what's up-and-coming.

You know, nevermind the whole object-oriented programming angle.  The idea that no one console is capable of being used to its fullest capability because it's a multiplatform game is dumb.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »

Square Enix and Capcom should open a brothel.

I kid.

It doesn't bother me that much. I already have a PS3, Versus is still exclusive and I have no intention of buying a 360 until I see for myself that the new 60 gig Jaspers have significantly reduced the RROD problem.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »

i think Robert called this? And everyone flamed him...

in anycase, great news!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2008, 08:37:29 PM »

Besides, we still have Atlus games. And Team Ico games.

(So far)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

According to a 1up article, the PS3 version is being finished first.

Well, it's still a PS3 exclusive in Japan, but obviously, most of us don't care since most of us don't understand Japanese. But the thing that irks me is that the 360 development is behind the PS3 and they're supposed to be released simultaneously in NA?

See you in forever, FF13.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:45 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
What do you mean??

The series is usually laden with cutscenes/voice acting, namely pre-rendered stuff, and that can just be streamed off a disc as necessary. Note how the PS1 games normally had more or less the entire game on each disc aside from those movies.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2008, 08:57:01 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
According to a 1up article, the PS3 version is being finished first.

Well, it's still a PS3 exclusive in Japan, but obviously, most of us don't care since most of us don't understand Japanese. But the thing that irks me is that the 360 development is behind the PS3 and they're supposed to be released simultaneously in NA?

See you in forever, FF13.

I'd say you don't have to worry about that.  They just have to make the Crystal Tools engine work with the 360.  It's not like they have to recode the game from the ground up.  Those days are long gone.

Object-oriented programming is great stuff.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Besides, we still have Atlus games.

What is Atlus releasing on the PS3?  I seem to remember that they announced a new Shin Megami Tensei title like 3 years ago and it hasn't been heard from since which leads me to believe that it's vaporware.  In the meantime, Persona 4 is a PS2 game and Atlus USA has like 3 Strategy/RPGs for the XBox 360.

And yes, it's surprising that they announced it now, but like I said earlier, this news shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone who was paying attention to the signs.  Square-Enix's president speaking up against the PS3 and praising the 360, SE switching to multiplatform-focused development tools, DQ9 going to the DS and showing once again that SE goes where the money is, that big 360 RPG conference a few weeks ago where SE announced that the new Star Ocean & Last Remnant were both coming out on the 360 first, solid US sales for Lost Odyssey, not to mention 3rd party title after 3rd party title that were originally planned as PS3 exclusives becoming multiplatform or even 360 exclusives.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2008, 09:20:43 PM »

http://static.pici.se/pictures/PUnBzNzTy.jpg
i lol'd

i don't see why fanboys care... the PS3 is still getting it...
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »

I think I know what Lard means by still having Atlus games for the PS3.

1) Most of the sales most likely come from Japan, and the fact Atlus USA prints limited copies of games.

2) There are very few 360s in Japan.

But that doesn't guarantee they're coming out for the PS3 at all though. For main games, yeah, it's probably more likely since third-party games do horrible on the Wii, but the DS and PSP are the best selling systems in Japan, and with DQIX going portable, nothing's stopping Atlus from doing the same with SMT.

Who knows, most of those PS3 games announced at TGS '05 have either come out already or vanished without a word, with the most being the latter.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »

Precisely Calintz, its not like they said "Fuck you PS3, 360 only!"

And yeah thats a bit scary relying on a video game series so much as an integral part of your life.  But some people are just that way.

Still im glad its coming to the 360 cause I probably wont be purchasing a PS3 anytime soon, if ever, and if that meant not playing FFXIII, well that sucks but oh well lol.

Kinda sucks that PS3 folks will have to wait for the 360 version to be finished if they do the simultaneous release, but its coming regardless.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

Quote from: "calintz"
http://static.pici.se/pictures/PUnBzNzTy.jpg
i lol'd

i don't see why fanboys care... the PS3 is still getting it...

Fanboys don't want OTHER consoles to get it. :P

Not that I care really. I bought my PS3 to play Tears to Tiara and Senjou no Valkyria anyway. :P
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: