Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 05:48:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340972 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Terminator Salvation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Terminator Salvation  (Read 4549 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »

Trailer: http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/8841507/standardformat/

Looks sweet. Christian Bale FTW!

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 03:31:14 AM »

I'm interested.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:58:00 AM »

I greet this trailer with a giant, lip-spread yawn. Firstly because I am so sick of Terminator being any longer than two movies, and secondly because it seems to be falling prey to the Matrix problem: Too much exposition. All the suspense and ugly prognostication set up by the first two movies is being unravelled the closer we get to the life and times of an adult Mr. Conner.

The problem is that I don't ever want to see what happens to him. I want it to be a mystery. Part of what makes Terminator and Terminator 2 so compelling is the fact you don't know everything that led up to the takeover by the machines, the war, etc. It's completely beside the point to discuss that, because the issue is making sure Conner actually exists.

Part of what really irritated me about Terminator 3 was the idea that interference in time could happen so often. If that were the case, why don't the machines just go WAY back and slaughter the entire Conner line, when machine guns and other such weapons of rapid-fire destruction didn't exist? Terminator and Terminator 2 (to a lesser degree) make it seem like interference is rare, and that it's taken some actual planning to make the scheme work.

Temporal issues aside, the trailer is horribly uninteresting. The constant interference over the video seems to be a rather mediocre way of 'spicing up' the footage. It makes me wonder if the entire affair isn't as exciting as the trailer might want you to believe. It's like all those horror movies that use sudden slashes and creepy overlays, and then wind up being horribly uninteresting.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:20 AM »

You make some good points. On the other hand none of the terminator movies blew me away so I guess that may be why I don't really care if it's good or not. At most I would expect it to be mildly entertaining. A good movie to go see early in the day when it's cheap and you have nothing else to do.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:11:40 AM »

Boring trailer aside, I am fucking excited for this film.  I suppport Roland Kickinger as the new antagonist Terminator.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:38:29 PM »

It's hard to follow up Terminator and Terminator 2 (Which I still think is one of the best films ever made), but I was surprised that I didn't hate Terminator 3. It was a lot better than I expected- it held my interest, had a few interesting twists along the way, and was overall a pretty fun time. I was disappointed by the lack of innovation, but it doesn't really hurt to watch it.

Trailer doesn't really show much so there's not anything to discuss at this point, really.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

Since reading how the movie is supposedly going to end I can feel nothing but contempt for the movie. As was said, the first two told a compelling story that had enough info to know what happened but not how or why and it was interesting, now they want to explain the crap out of it and it's just going to ruin everything

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »

I mean, so long as the story isnt batshit crazy or anything, and have decent visuals and action scenes and stuff, ill probably go see it.  Its not hard to get me to enjoy a movie, so as long as I get explosions and action and robots and stuff, ill probably be happy.  I may not go to the theatre to see it, but ill at least rent it.  Though matinees here are 5 bucks so its fairly cheap to go see it on the big screen, since I dont buy popcorn and crap.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:22 PM »

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/terminator-salvation.html?showVideo=1

New trailer. I think this looks freakin sweet. It just jumped up a few notches on my hype radar.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »

I am hopeful for it despite being directed by the Charlie's Angels guy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »

I'm pretty excited for this, I must say. Everything new that comes out of it slowly wipes away my scepticism.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:23:40 PM »

Am I the only one who can't stand Christian Bale? Why is he getting so many high-profile roles? He underreacts/doesn't react to almost everything.

And of course he's bringing that Batman voice over as well.

Nevertheless, it looks alright. I might check it out, though these days I find that Hollywood seems to be better realizing the shallow formula for making people hype up a trailer.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:54:11 PM »

Christian Bale is a fantastic actor. I suggest you go watch Rescue Dawn or The Machinist before making judgements on him. And the reason he keeps getting high profile roles like this is because directors and studios like him. The people involved with this movie said he was the most credible action star in the world right now.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 05:23:59 PM »

I'm quite fond of Mr Bale. He's really good in The Machinist and The Prestige, definitely worth checking out for two of his non-blockbuster roles. American Psycho too.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »

I've only seen Bale in The Prestige and the batman movies, and I'm not really impressed so far- he just plays the same character over and over, and says every line with lack of emotion.

Anyway, I generally don't let performances bother me that much about a movie unless it's really hindering something.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: