Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 12:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334402 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  tri-Ace's Mystery Xbox 360 RPG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: tri-Ace's Mystery Xbox 360 RPG  (Read 4309 times)
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2006, 08:55:07 PM »

So, what ideas or predictions do you have about tri-Ace's Mystery Xbox 360 RPG?  If you do not know, recently Microsoft announced that tri-Ace will be working on a 360 Exclusive RPG that will be published by Microsoft (no Square-Enix contribution to this game) in order to raise sales in Japan.  So, there have been much speculation as to what tri-Ace will actually do.  Star Ocean is, unfortunately, owned by Square-Enix, as are the other tri-Ace titles, so those are most likely out of the question unless Microsoft makes a deal.

So, what ideas and/or predictions do you have about tri-Ace's Mystery RPG?
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 09:34:44 PM »

I'm guessing...it'll be an action RPG. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
I'm guessing...it'll be an action RPG. :p

Wow, so astute of you to say that. XD
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 04:32:55 AM »

It will be an original action RPG that most likely will fall short of Microsoft's expectations. It was clear from the very beginning that it won't be one of tri-Ace's established franchises. After all, looking at the 360's installed base in Japan (130,000 units in six months), people would be utterly stupid to bring a new installment (I'm not talking about ports and remakes here) of any given flagship RPG series exclusively to such a system.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 04:18:05 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
It will be an original action RPG that most likely will fall short of Microsoft's expectations. It was clear from the very beginning that it won't be one of tri-Ace's established franchises. After all, looking at the 360's installed base in Japan (130,000 units in six months), people would be utterly stupid to bring a new installment (I'm not talking about ports and remakes here) of any given flagship RPG series exclusively to such a system.

I actually disagree with that.  I believe that the Xbox 360 will boost in sales drastically over the next few years, and I believe that the 360 will be the RPG system of Next-Gen.  It already has a pretty nice line up of RPGs in the future, and many rumored ones as well (Chrono and Lufia games are both rumored).  

So, even though I don't think the Xbox 360 will increase in sales above the Wii and PS3, I still believe it will certainly be more successful than the first Xbox was in Japan, mainly due to all of these RPGs lined up for it.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 04:33:55 PM »

You are kidding me, right? Why do you think the major third party publishers generally hesitate to publish any RPGs for that system or just remake old games (like Hudson), leaving Microsoft to publish most of their major RPGs? The 130,000 units Microsoft has sold in Japan since the launch have been worse than anybody had expected. And every opinion poll conducted over the past year has shown Japanese gamers are waiting and saving their money for PlayStation 3 and to a lesser degree the Wii. In between those two launches, do you really think a lot of people will care about a Blue Dragon and pick up a 360 just to get to play that game? Sure, it's written by Sakaguchi, but is developed by a company with little experience in the RPG genre and published by Microsoft. Pitched against the PlayStation 3 and Wii launches with new installments of established franchises (be it Minna no Golf, Ridge Racer or Mario) , that game will end up just like N3. It will underperform.  
Eventually, the majority of major RPG series will once again end up on PlayStation 3, if only that's the safest bet.
And please, spare me those rumors. Stuff like that always makes me think of Chrono Cross X :P.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:07:30 PM »

LOL.

I agree with what you are saying.

Xbox 360 most likely will remain exclusive to western RPG (At least some, since Obsidian is doing an exclusive for the PS3 apparently).
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 06:50:43 PM »

I think it is unfortunate that the X Box 360 is DOA in Japan.  Maybe Microsoft should offer free X Box 360's in exchange for a subscription to Japan's version of X Box Live.

Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:55:22 PM »

There is only one thing that I know: I hope Nintendo get's owned by Sony. Their little care for the gamecube pissed and disappointed me.
Unfortunately that's not gonna happen.
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 08:05:43 PM »

I disagree Gast.  But I guess we will just have to wait and see.  I know that the Wii and PS3 will far out do the 360 in Japan, but I have a feeling that the 360 will jump in sales drastically if Microsoft plays their cards right (which they seem to be going in that direction, as there are far more Japanese RPGs lined up for it than the first Xbox).
Phoenix's Rage

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 08:30:04 PM »

Quote from: "Bogatyr"
There is only one thing that I know: I hope Nintendo get's owned by Sony.

They will for sure, at least on the console front. I have the same sentiments.
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 11:01:51 PM »

Quote from: "Phoenix's Rage"
Quote from: "Bogatyr"
There is only one thing that I know: I hope Nintendo get's owned by Sony.

They will for sure, at least on the console front. I have the same sentiments.

Yes, unfortunately their handhelds make it up for that.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:00 AM »

I think all if at least one of the RPG's coming for X Box 360 has the makings to be a hit, then the console has a chance at making some headway in the Japanese market.  If they can't get at least one game to be a killer app, then the console is screwed.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 02:19:44 AM »

Microsoft managed to snag some bigger names for the last iteration of the Xbox and it didn't help them any.  Shin Megami Tensei NINE didn't help sluggish sales any, nor did Rent a Hero #1 or even some of the better Japanese non-RPGs like DoA and Otogi.

I personally don't think that the 360 has any kind of chance on that side of the Pacific, but Microsoft is certainly doing well in the American and European markets.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: