Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 05:42:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Watchmen trailer!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Watchmen trailer!  (Read 10739 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »

I'm not planning on seeing this till it comes out on DVD.  I have to know one thing, though, and I'll book spoiler mark it for the whiners. :P

Code:
What the fuck did they replace the space squid with?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2009, 07:22:50 PM »

I'm not planning on seeing this till it comes out on DVD.  I have to know one thing, though, and I'll book spoiler mark it for the whiners. :P

Code:
What the fuck did they replace the space squid with?

Code:
Dr. Manhattan's blue squid.

Along with the rest of the not so good Doc.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

That wasn't too informative! Anyways, I haven't seen it but I did spoil myself, and apparently
Code:
they decided to go with energy blasts with Doctor Manhatten's energy signature, or something along those lines. Basically framing him and vaporizing multiple cities at that.

I'd post on some thoughts on that, but best to wait until I actually see it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:30:31 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 12:18:16 AM »

OK - here's the real deal with the movie ending.  Carriage returns because I don't want to have to scroll to read the spoiler.

Code:
In the comic, Ozymandius has been studying Dr. Manhattan's teleporting ability, right? 
So he teleports the giant squid to NYC.

In the movie, Ozymandius has been studying the energy Dr. Manhattan puts out. 
The two of them have been working together to create a crazy generator that will
essentially produce infinite quantities of free energy.  (They cut out the bit from the
comics where Dr. Manhattan already revolutionized the energy industry.)

So using that work, Ozymandius somehow creates explosions in huge cities
around the world with Dr. Manhattan's energy signature, so everyone will think
that for some reason, he decided to kill millions of people.

Why he'd do that is left completely unexplained, but Ozymandius' reason for doing it
is the same as in the comic, and it somehow works.  For some reason, the countries of
the world all band together to be friends and (maybe) prepare for a fight against the
terror of Dr. Manhattan. 

As I said in an earlier post, I think that this ending ignores everything that's happened
in world politics over the past 8 years.  Sure, it's set in the 80s, but the reaction would
have been the same then.  In 2001, it was "A middle eastern terrorist attacked the US.
Let's band together to destroy... Iraq.  And Afghanistan.  Does Iran or Syria need a
good butt-whipping?"  In the Watchmen movie, it would be "An American has attacked
us all.  We must band together and destroy the US."

So that's the deal.  Hope it makes sense.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2009, 02:19:54 AM »

Well...

Code:
I think the logic is that, rather than having a made up threat like the squid, they would
have a tangible threat to work against - Dr. Manhattan. Given the events that happened earlier and
the fact he's also destroying American cities (or at least New York), he'd be seen as a global threat
against mankind, rather than simply targeting the rest of the world for America.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2009, 09:55:59 AM »

Man, so much hate for the Nite-Owl/Silk Spectre sex scene from guys.  Yeah, it may have been a bit disjointed in conjunction to the rest of the film, but after seeing Dr. Manhattan's full glory so often, I wasn't complaining about seeing Silk Spectre's booty and breasts. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2009, 10:31:04 AM »

I don't mind filmmakers trying to make artsy-beauty sex scenes, but even that sex scene felt hackneyed. Oh wow, you're filming their silhouettes, I've never seen that in a film before.

It's easy to find boobs on the internet, you don't waste 10 minutes have two people banging each other, just makes the director look incredibly self-absorbed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: