Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 09:44:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327286 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Video shows Bush was warned before Katrina struck.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Video shows Bush was warned before Katrina struck.  (Read 15310 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2006, 08:05:34 PM »

MSNBC news story

Discuss.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 08:13:13 PM »

GODDAMMIT.

He just keeps shooting himself in the foot. C'mon, man!!! You were supposed to keep us republicans alive!!!! Now we just look stupid. Or....you look stupid at the least.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »

Honestly, it's not that surprising. Considering this bulletin from the National Weather Service 24 hours before landfall:

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.
THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.
POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

The worst part of it is that nobody is going to be held accountable. Literally hundreds of people died due to governmental negligence at city, state, and national levels.... Yet playing the blame game let everyone weasel their way out of it.

I'm in favor of Michael Brown being sent to a pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:27:56 AM »

The thing is, these things will never change, Governments will always be blameless. It makes me sick sometimes to know what kind of people are running our countires, the states isn't the only place with incompitance. Until people start to push there opinions Governments will be free to do as they please, most fo us are living in dictatorships and we dont even know it!

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 01:28:33 AM »

And this also has the side effect of having those Bush supporters from two years back backpedal like crazy and say how completely inept of a president he is. You know the president's a fuck up when people that used to support him all but abandon him.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:44:00 AM »

Oh look at that.

Quick. Someone look surprised.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

It's easy to blame the government for everything.  What's funny is how few people are willing to take responsibility for their own lives.  Sure, that bulletin came in 24 hours before landfall.  As if 24 hours is enough time to relocate a ton of people.  As if anyone in America honestly knew how to deal with this.  As if people in the region didn't blow off "just another hurricane".  It's easy to talk about what should have been done after the fact.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 09:57:14 AM »

That's what happens when people decide they want the government to take care of every aspect of their lives. Hurricane Bob back in 1988, did my parents need someone to tell us to move some place safer? No, they were smart enough to get the hell out of their on our own.
drumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »

Quote from: "Parn"
It's easy to blame the government for everything.  What's funny is how few people are willing to take responsibility for their own lives.  Sure, that bulletin came in 24 hours before landfall.  As if 24 hours is enough time to relocate a ton of people.  As if anyone in America honestly knew how to deal with this.  As if people in the region didn't blow off "just another hurricane".  It's easy to talk about what should have been done after the fact.

It's easy to say "oh she could get pregnant" after I bang a chick 50 times and knock her up too. The city of New Orleans is a bowl. Scientists wanted to improve the levees. They warned of hurricanes like Katrina for years. Several people in the government wanted to improve the levees. As was said, people knew this hurricane was coming and the language doesn't say "just another hurricane." Immediately following the disaster, Bush and his cronies were on vacation and stayed on vacation for days.

But go ahead and be an apologist if you like. I suppose every discussion of Katrina needs somebody to be in the Brown did a heckuva job camp.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"

Agreeing with this.

We can see a storm front approaching 24 hours ahead of time just as much as a hurricane. Are we supposed to wait for THE JUSTICE LEAUGE to come save us? Perhaps Bush can use his weather machine to protect us all.

It's called Looking out your fucking window. Oh look grey clouds outside right now. HMMMM, I WONDER IF I SHOULD TAKE AN UMBRELLA WITH ME TODAY.

Get real.
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 12:14:58 PM »

I think the argument of who's fault it is proves futile becuase at the end of the day lots of people died and lots of people needed help, and a certain government was very late to respond...

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »

Quote from: "Starbreaker"
I think the argument of who's fault it is proves futile becuase at the end of the day lots of people died and lots of people needed help, and a certain government was very late to respond...

Yeah, they're called France.

Bush signed over hundreds of millions of dollars to improve the levees (granted only in America (DUR BIG SURPRISE NEW ORELEANS ISN'T PART OF US)) and the people responsible for their construction bungled it and didn't do it correctly. Also granted the "requested" money to restructure the levees was not met, the amount the requested was illogical and far beyond what was needed to fix them.

Look at how many other "OMFGWTF HURRICANES" the south has seen in the US. The most two recent "huge hurricanes" didn't do a damn thing and the most recent one completely dissolved after touching down, despite it being revered as "more powerful than Katrina".

Nobody knew Katrina would be as large an impact as it was, but shit was done to prevent it beforehand.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 05:10:53 PM »

Quote from: "drumlord"
But go ahead and be an apologist if you like. I suppose every discussion of Katrina needs somebody to be in the Brown did a heckuva job camp.

Fantastic job being a jackass, drumlord.  I never said the government was innocent.  I'm not defending Brown's job at all.  Way to turn it into a black and white scenario.  But then, that's what it's all about, right?  It's always liberals are morons, conservatives are great.  Or it's conservatives are money loving faggots, and liberals can solve the world's problems.  Fuck off.

You're right, scientists have been ranting about this happening for years.  This scenario was just waiting to happen.  So how is it that this makes the citizens that live there no longer responsible for their own lives?  How is it that every time something goes wrong, it's the government's fault?

People need to take care of themselves.  What are you retards going to do the day social security goes bankrupt and your parents and grandparents no longer have a dedicated income?  Blame the government and talk about it?  You all know it might happen someday.  The question is, are you preparing for it, or are you just waiting until it happens so you can play the blame game again?

Man, whatever people.  Have fun argueing politics.
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »

Fun quip: Katrina destroys the city and what do they do? Throw a party with drugs alcohol and public fornication.

Why do these people deserve help exactly?
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 06:10:21 PM »

Of course the President was warned before Katrina hit.  Thanks to the National Fucking Hurricane Center (NFHC), the whole world knows about these things many days in advance.  Doesn't anybody see that this is only news now because of upcoming elections?  Think.

The world is full of doomsayers, because it's the easiest profession in the world.  You can say "I told you so!" if you guessed right, dismiss the outcome as unpredictable if you're wrong.  But the people who really understand that unpredictability don't make predictions in the first place.  Do me a favor and don't lend credibility to those assholes claiming they knew the magnitude of the disaster and saw the failed response clear as day in advance.  Nobody can do that.

Hindsight shows that responders had a shitty plan.  The gamble they took with the levees turned out badly.  There's plenty to be learned.  But spare me the vitriol about the grievous transgressions of politicians and civil servants, when every one of you assholes has a responsibility to your community, and some to theirs.  How many of you just sat and watched it all happen on television?  How many didn't lend a single penny or piece of property in support?  How many locals there decided to be thieving, murdering fucksticks instead of helping their fellow citizens survive?

Don't let Democrats use this as part of their laundry list of Administration evils, and don't let Republican congressmen and senators use their "lone voice of opposition/warning" as a platform for reelection.  Make them do real work for your vote.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: