Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329437 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Video shows Bush was warned before Katrina struck.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Video shows Bush was warned before Katrina struck.  (Read 15586 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 12:23:16 PM »

Quote from: "Blackjack"
Oh, so they were supposed to outrun a hurricane.

Yes, of course. That's much less insane.

Fiddle dee dee look who thinks he's witty.

Quote from: "Dios GX"
if you knew about this when the news about the hurricane was first posted you would have gotten to a place safer than the EYE of the hurricane.

Understand yet?

Quote from: "Dave"
If the city of Los Angeles knew 48 hours in advance that an earthquake was coming that could wipe out the city, do you think everyone would be able to make it out?

Even the people living in shelters or on the street?

And hospital patients?

And the people who have no working automobile, no health care, depend on buses for local transportation and live paycheck-to-paycheck?

Uh, of course not? What kind of retarded question is that? First off I highly doubt an Earthquake is going to be so centralized with the impact to destroy LA, that no other city near it is going to be impacted by it.

Secondly, this is life, people die. Get over it.

Also, for those that were fortunate enough to survive, I am sure the money donated by myself and many others will be beneficial for those that need help.

You know what's funny though is when the tsunami hit India and screwed them over, they didn't sit around and blame their Government nor would they even accept charity for support. They stood on their own two feet, strong and as a independent as they could afford to be.
Blackjack

scott_790@msn.com HappiiyNeurotic scootermcgaffin
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 12:41:07 PM »

Here's the thing, though. Even if your place of residence is below sea level, inside will always be safer than outside. Especially when, for the residents of New Orleans, "outside" = "swamp"

You see, the inside has, like, walls. And a noticable lack of alligators.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »

As the chart clearly indicates running from a "oh shit water" zone to a "higher up" zone puts you out of flood range. That and this city isn't two dimensional of course, but my point stands.

Blackjack

scott_790@msn.com HappiiyNeurotic scootermcgaffin
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 01:53:24 PM »

Of course it puts them out of the flooding zones. And into the torrential downpours and 125 mph winds.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 05:50:22 PM »

You seem to be bitching a lot. I'd like to hear your magnificent solution.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 06:03:36 PM »

Quote from: "drumlord"
I merely pointed out that the administration felt it better to go on vacation and be in pictures with new guitars rather than responding to a crisis.
And your lumping me in with the rest, assuming that I think Brown did a great job.  Fuck you and your assumptions.  I'm not defending what our president was doing at the time at all.  It'd save you a lot of trouble if you'd quit playing the political game, regardless of your denial of it.

So you want to be lumped together with Dios in the "it's their own fault so they deserve to die route?"
Once again, it's black and white for you, isn't it?  What are you, fucking retarded?  I like how you try to villainize me, but it's not going to work.  Because I think that all parties are at fault and not just the government, this somehow makes me believe that they deserved to die?  You're quite the assuming little fucker, aren't you?

Social security? I was unaware this had anything to do with NO.
It doesn't, but it seems the concept of "being responsible for your own life" flew right over your head, which is the entire point of my post, but instead, you turn it into a "Parn thinks the government is innocent, what a mean person" thing.  Fuck you and your high horse.

Should the government have done a better job?  Absolutely.  But that doesn't negate the fact that the people of New Orleans, and a lot of people here, regarded Katrina as "just another hurricane" until it was already too late.  You know it's true.

The blame is on all parties, and not just the government, period.

It must be tough to avoid those conservative talking points though.
Way to miss the point of the comment, dumbass.  But yeah, I'm just a stupid conservative anyways, right?  Because conservatives are all incapable of saying anything intelligent.  Or maybe we can flip it around!  Liberals are incapable of saying anything intelligent.  See how fun this political game is?  But do keep denying that you're playing it, alright?  I'm sure if you tell a lie enough times, someone might believe it.

I think it's particularly interesting that you label me as conservative... how exactly did you come to that conclusion anyways?  Furthermore, why does it even matter?  And why do you keep bringing up statements regarding the administration, as if I'd deny what our president did (or lack thereof)?  Because it's a political game for you, that's why.

I'm one of those "retards" who cares when people die and millions lose their homes.
No, you're one of the many retards in this country looking for a scapegoat when people should be focusing on fixing the actual problems.  You know, maybe like finding an effective way of moving hundreds of thousands of people in a short timeframe since what they had obviously didn't work, and hurricane season happens to be an annual thing (nevermind that such a process is exceptionally hard... accountability of everyone is nearly impossible).  But hey, we have more important things to do like blaming the government for everything and finding a scapegoat!

Since we're in the business of villainizing and blabbing on about caring so much for the people of New Orleans, do tell... what did YOU do to aid the survivors of the incident?

What this really all comes down to is Bush's quote from three days after Katrina hit: "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." Not only did many anticipate the breach and warn the local government that the levees will be breached, but Bush himself was warned days a few days before.
And what it really does come down to is your stupid ass pretending like you aren't playing the political game with me when you are, and just labeling me as another conservative moron.  Hey dipshit, President Bush said that statement, and he was a liar for making it.  Is that what you wanted to hear?  Because I'm not going to deny that he said that, or play off his words to defend him like some blind Republican dog that's more concerned about his agenda than just accepting the truth.  Fuck you and your playing my words off as some conservative agenda, as if I weren't able to think for myself.

Long story short, you can talk about how much you cared about New Orleans and the people there, but talk is cheap.  What did you actually do for them, beyond talk about how much you care?
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 06:43:03 PM »

You know what's funny though is when the tsunami hit India and screwed them over, they didn't sit around and blame their Government nor would they even accept charity for support. They stood on their own two feet, strong and as a independent as they could afford to be.

Is this India? I'm sorry, I thought this was America, where we have agencies and organizations in place to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Also, the tsunami came with no real warning. A tsunami is generated by seismic activity, there's no NWS-warning system for that. They had hours, not days. As we've seen, the entire Federal government knew well in advance that New Orleans would most likely be flooded out and that the loss of life would be catastrophic.

Did you see National Guard down there before the storm hit, doing mandatory evacuations? No, because the National Guard was understaffed thanks to a pointless endeavor in Iraq that so far has amounted to them being on the verge of civil war, and has cost us over $80 billion more than what the White House promised it would. (we won't even go there.)

Did you see the President go on television to set the record straight on the levees and the potential destruction of one of the country's most important cities (and if you don't think so, you must hate music entirely)? No, because he didn't even have enough of a brain to ask a question in the briefing.

I wonder. Was he even listening? Did he even care? But that's not something you guys can answer. Something you hopefully can admit, though, is that the damage was devastating because of the scenario we were put in as a nation. If you want to try and say "well how was he supposed to know", go look at the Army Corps of Engineers information from 5 years ago, then remind yourself that Bush is the commander-in-chief of all Armed Forces, and it's his JOB to know things like that could happen before spending all of the country's money to go get that guy who tried to kill his dad. It's kind of like asking "How was he supposed to know Al Qaeda would attack us" when just a few months earlier he got a memo on his desk titled "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in the U.S." and detailed plane-attack possibilities.

Wake up, folks, the guy's a crook...

"I'd bet this president could do anything including burning the flag and you'd still love him if he sold it to you the right way." -- Randi Rhodes

/i have no idea why that turned into a rant

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »

Did you see National Guard down there before the storm hit, doing mandatory evacuations? No, because the National Guard was understaffed thanks to a pointless endeavor in Iraq that so far has amounted to them being on the verge of civil war, and has cost us over $80 billion more than what the White House promised it would. (we won't even go there.)

Yeah dur hur national guard wasn't down there. The Coast Guard however, was, and set up offshore headquarters for relief efforts. But it doesn't have a big important name like "national guard" so it means nothing.

If you're such a political dynamo and are so sure the presence in Iraq is pointless, I wonder why you aren't up in office taking charge of things.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2006, 07:56:16 PM »

Fuck that. He's right. Until you yourself have walked 50-120 miles in a day and consider that someone ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD (COUGHMECOUGH) would be unable to get out of New Orleans alive without a car, you have no right to talk.

If you need it spelled OUT for you, I'm handicapped and I'm unable to walk long distances. According to your logic I should die.

Thanks a lot, hero! :D

Seriously, not entirely directed to you but if you're gonna spend forever insulting people to make yourself look witty,  back it up. Not to say that you guys DON'T, but the flaming is utterly retarded, people.  I've spent time with a bunch of middle schoolers today. Imagine how that is. I'm in no mood for crap. I'd love for a thread in RPGFan not to turn into a flaming political war where it all boils down to 'MY WANG IS BIGGER THAN YOURRRRS!'

*Smile* :)

EDIT: And pardon my own bitchiness. Again, teaching middle schoolers. Cut me some slack.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »

Secondly, this is life, people die. Get over it.

Not to say that life is all rainbow and unicorns, but I don't buy that shit. You can't dismiss something as easily as "People die. Get over it." I'm sorry, but that's fucking stupid.

"Well, nobody was around to save you, so you have no choice but to die. Sorry, bud."

Yeah, right.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 08:55:04 PM »

Something I'd like to point out: What with all the looting and those kinda folks that sprung up after the Hurricane hit, would it really be that much safer outside the city while on foot? Maybe they wouldn't drown, but they could just get picked off by gunners outside of the city.

And holy crap. I posted that to see the reaction it'd get, and it managed to start up a flame war. Ha. :P
Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 09:53:17 PM »

Quote from: "Lucca"

Fuck that. He's right. Until you yourself have walked 50-120 miles in a day and consider that someone ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD (COUGHMECOUGH) would be unable to get out of New Orleans alive without a car, you have no right to talk.

If you need it spelled OUT for you, I'm handicapped and I'm unable to walk long distances. According to your logic I should die.

I guess that's why you don't live in New Orleans, and why I am pretty sure you have unique and or special means of transporation. Such as a car with a placard so you can park in reserved spaces.

Additionally, my mom is largely handicapped as well and can walk less than a mile before her ankle fucks up and she has to get off it the rest of the day.

Natural disasters are nobody's fault and expecting there to be a solution to them is silly. Funny, people get killed by hurricanes and it's a worldwide tragedy. About ten people in Africa die every day and I wonder how many of you reading this give half a shit about any of them, honestly.

Interesting you should use the terminology of death as being "deserved". I fail to see where I ever said it was as such. Don't twist my words.

Thanks a lot, hero! :D

You're welcome.

Seriously, not entirely directed to you but if you're gonna spend forever insulting people to make yourself look witty,  back it up. Not to say that you guys DON'T, but the flaming is utterly retarded, people.  I've spent time with a bunch of middle schoolers today. Imagine how that is. I'm in no mood for crap. I'd love for a thread in RPGFan not to turn into a flaming political war where it all boils down to 'MY WANG IS BIGGER THAN YOURRRRS!'

You are more or less asking water to not be wet.

Ash: I'm not saying to not care that others die, I'm saying to not break down in the street and cry. There are simply some aspects of life that cannot be helped. That's all.

People die from disasters, and people die from being killed by others. Far cry difference from someone dying from a tornado, flood, earthquake or hurricane and someone being shot by someone else.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 10:14:01 PM »

The point is, this was something that should have been helped, could have been helped, but wasn't. You don't just shrug your shoulders and say "oh well" when a major city is more or less destroyed and thousands of people dead. I'm willing to wager money that had it been any member of your family or a friend in that mess, you'd be singing a different tune.

But that's right, people with no direct association with the ones in disasters "don't care" about them at all....right? Right?

Or maybe just you don't.

Dios GX
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 11:01:48 PM »

But that's right, people with no direct association with the ones in disasters "don't care" about them at all....right? Right?

Or maybe just you don't.

I normally wouldn't bring such things up but I think the $500+ I donate yearly to Feed the Children would speak otherwise to the brash accusations you're throwing around.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 11:12:38 PM »

Are you for real.  Words are louder than actions around these parts.  When you type out how much you care on an internet message board, truly it is sincere and extremely beneficial to those in need!

For the record, I have monthly allottments going to the Red Cross, the Combined Federal Campaign, and the Air Force Aid Society taken straight out of my paycheck.  I also do not write these off during tax time, because doing so hardly makes your contribution a "donation" if you're just getting it back from the government.  I've made extra donations to the Red Cross seperate from the above during both Katrina and the tsunami from several months back as well, and I personally was involved in packing relief supplies for two seperate convoys dispatched to the areas affected during the hurricane season.

So it occurs to me that when some fuckface rants and raves about how much they care and how I apparently don't, I can't help but get really fucking irritated.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: