Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 12:08:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331731 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Sony predicts 100 billion yen loss for 2006/2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sony predicts 100 billion yen loss for 2006/2007  (Read 2263 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2006, 02:17:13 PM »

Ouch.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »

Meanwhile Nintendo will make about 50 billion with the Revolution.

I wonder whose system is better here.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »

First of all, it's Sony Computer Entertainment and not Sony. The entire Sony Group is projecting a net profit of more than one billion USD for the next fiscal year. Second, this was pretty much expected and is nothing that mindblowing early in the lifespan of a new console, in particular one with rather costly parts.

For reference, if you look at the PlayStation 2 launch, even in the fiscal year after the launch in Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment still posted an operating loss 32.3 billion yen. In the four following years they posted massive profits. Given how important Sony Computer Entertainment and the PlayStation brand have become for the entire Sony group, they are obviously willing to make massive prior investments. After all, so far this method has worked well enough for them, despite all the bashing and often entirely unreasonable criticism.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 03:22:22 PM »

Looks like they're putting a lot of faith in the PS3's success. If the price of the system is around the rumored $400.00 USD, or higher, a lot of people will likely sit and wait for a price drop before making the decision to buy one, including myself. I wonder how that will affect the company if people don't buy it because of the heavy price tag?

Then again, I can already imagine hordes of Japanese fans waiting for two weeks outside of stores to get their hands on the PS3, so I'm probably wrong.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
Meanwhile Nintendo will make about 50 billion with the Revolution.

I wonder whose system is better here.

Wii, Tony....it's called Wii.

:P

And since when has Sony had a smart business model? I mean shit! They decide since their CD sales slump by a mere fraction of a percent that they're gonna toss Rootkits on their albums.

Sony = 50 DKP MINUS.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »

it's called the revolution in my world because i'm not going into gamestop and saying hey did you guys get my Wii yet?
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 08:45:32 PM »

I don't think the high price will phase Sony fans. People would be willing to fork over the cash if they have it. Personally, I'm still undecided, I mean I'm almost positive I would like to buy a Revolution the first day, because A) it will be cheaper than the PS3, and B) I'm extremely anxious to try out the remote controller. As for the PS3, I dunno. I very well may buy one on launch day, which may not be a wise move, but man, temptations are a bitch.

I agree with Dios, screw the Wii name. I'm calling it Revolution.
Haven

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:17:04 PM »

Quote from: "Miho"
I don't think the high price will phase Sony fans. People would be willing to fork over the cash if they have it. Personally, I'm still undecided, I mean I'm almost positive I would like to buy a Revolution the first day, because A) it will be cheaper than the PS3, and B) I'm extremely anxious to try out the remote controller. As for the PS3, I dunno. I very well may buy one on launch day, which may not be a wise move, but man, temptations are a bitch.

I agree with Dios, screw the Wii name. I'm calling it Revolution.

And you will be able to play NES, Gensis, and SNES games. I will buy a Wii for sure. PS3 I am not so sure of, I havent really touched my PS3 since I started back up WoW.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 01:35:16 PM »

Quote from: "Haven"
And you will be able to play NES, Gensis, and SNES games. I will buy a Wii for sure. PS3 I am not so sure of, I havent really touched my PS3 since I started back up WoW.
I'm sure you haven't :P

But I agree, having the option to download and play old games is a huge selling point for the Wii for me (Whee for me hahaha!). Meanwhile all we've really seen of the PS3 is tech demos from last years E3. They looked purty and all that jazz, but we didn't see any actual gameplay footage. If I remember correctly, Sony did say actual gameplay graphics would be on par with the tech demos, but until I get some real gameplay footage I'm going to remain skeptical.

There is also the problem of games. I haven't heard of any in development that pique my interest. Sure, Squeenix plans on continuing the main FF series on the system, but if FFXII is reflective of where the series is headed then I think I'll pass.

Not to mention a heavy price tag which means I will not for any reason be buying it until a price drop. Around $250 I'll begin to consider.

And on a completely unrelated note, I will be calling the Revolution the Wii because I think it is so stupid it's funny. "Do you have my fucking Wii yet, bitch?!" Heheh :P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: