Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 04:50:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319230 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What dead series(or mostly dead) do you miss the most?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: What dead series(or mostly dead) do you miss the most?  (Read 19037 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »

Yeah, I'm only 18, ao it's not that big of a stretch saying XIV will be out in 12 years.

I wasted my child? I never knew I had a child. Fucking amazing, really. Plus, I don't think I'd be dumb enough to give a baby alcohol, as they puke enough as it is.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »

Quote from: "cosapi"
When this happens, this means the franchise in question has "died" for the people who originally enjoyed it, and supported the company who made said franchise.

This could possibly be argued for something like Final Fantasy that seems to be trying too hard to be cool and awesome when it basically started as an unofficial D&D game, but for basically every non-SEGA series you've listed they still appeal to their fanbase or at least have not REALLY changed enough to really qualify as 'dying' with your logic.
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:56 AM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
Well, it always seems like FF is dead. It took, what, five fucking years for XII to get out? It's been two years for XIII and ZERO gameplay so far. Jesus Christ, I'll be 30 years old before FFXIV comes out.

when you compare the production value of the old 2d ff's vs the new ones its understandable. its not simple copy and stamp for backgrounds, as you know its a VERY involved procedure.  add in the HD factor and you've got a game that costs way more time/$$$'s to create. i dont mind waiting the few years, my only complaint is they're wasting time remaking shitty old titles when they could be making more new stuff.  not to mention the lack of interesting releases from other studios to keep my busy in between. so far the only ones that have really been epic that have come out since ff12 are Okami, Zelda T.P., Persona 3, and MGS4 (lost odyssey is borderline). everything else is a quick one off play for me and holds almost zero replay value.
cosapi
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
When this happens, this means the franchise in question has "died" for the people who originally enjoyed it, and supported the company who made said franchise.

This could possibly be argued for something like Final Fantasy that seems to be trying too hard to be cool and awesome when it basically started as an unofficial D&D game, but for basically every non-SEGA series you've listed they still appeal to their fanbase or at least have not REALLY changed enough to really qualify as 'dying' with your logic.

My post wasn't some "end all be all" definition for what qualifies as a dead series. It was moreso a response to people who would claim "suikoden" or "metroid" isn't dead.

And yes, I'm pretty certain every franchise I listed is considered dead. There could be other reasons though, like no activity seen from the series in years.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 30, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »

Metroid's only dead in the sense that Gunpei Yokoi is dead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

And yes, I'm pretty certain every franchise I listed is considered dead. There could be other reasons though, like no activity seen from the series in years.

Yeah, whatever, I'm going to show how ridiculous you're being by weeding out all the games that haven't had a new installment, a spiritual successor, or the official announcement of one of those since, say, the beginning of 2004. Ports, remakes, and Cellphone games are being ignored unless they're especially noteworthy:

Castlevania
Deus Ex
Earthbound
Fallout
Final fantasy tactics
Front Mission
Grandia
Guardian heroes
Gunstar Heroes
Lunar
Mario
Metroid
Nights
Phantasy Star
Princess Crown
SaGa
Secret of Mana
Shining Force
Sonic
Suikoden
Star Ocean
Street Fighter
Xenogears
Zelda

Only a few of those have had followups that were truly different and/or outright sucked. Everything else has had pretty good new installments or at least nothing significantly worse than what came before.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »

Actually, I could go for another Wonder Boy game.  We'll ignore the bizarre naming style though.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »

Oh jesus christ how the fuck did I forget this

ULTIMA.

Not necessarily a new game set in Britannia or following the same storyline, but something with the same kind of battle system 6 had and the same kind of interactivity and openness without being directionless that ultima 7 had.

You can' use the paint supplies in Oblivion. Do you have any idea how much this bothers me? If you're not going to let me DO anything with them or sell them for money why let me even pick them up in the first place, Bethesda? Why do you do this stuff? It's just as bad as Greeton.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: