Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319741 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Bought gold? If you haven't spent 40k you are a noob!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bought gold? If you haven't spent 40k you are a noob!  (Read 2610 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »

I was gonna post this in general, but since it's related to WoW I figured I would post it here instead.

From Curse...

Whilst America is suffering an economic downturn, gas prices rise day after day and the dollar weakens under pressure, one American is going against this trend; virtually. An avid Internet gamer from Chicago IL, known only as Jake, has made history by making the largest purchase of “virtual currency” ever reported. He did so through the game World of Warcraft, purchasing 1,000,000 Gold (the game’s currency) at a cost of just over $40,000.

The exchange of “real money” for its virtual gaming equivalent, whilst an insane concept to many, is nothing new. Real-Money Trading, or RMT companies as they are better known, have been around since the early days of Ultima Online but only became newsworthy with the release of World of Warcraft. The game’s population of almost 11 million subscribers makes it a lucrative marketplace for third-party companies, with no shortage of customers and suppliers (though the majority of the industry’s “product” is sourced through China). Industry analysts have predicted the RMT market to be worth around $2 billion in 2008, with a large proportion of that coming for World of Warcraft.

Though many gaming addicts will admit to purchasing virtual currencies and services, perhaps spending as much as a couple hundred dollars at a time, one wonders why someone would spend so much money on what is essentially pixels on a computer screen.

“My friends ask me, ‘You could have bought a car, a boat or put down a deposit on a house - why waste all that money on a game?’. I don’t like cars, I get sea-sick and I already own a couple of properties of my own.”, Jake contends. “I find less sense in blowing $40,000 on a BMW - at least WoW Gold retains its value.” You can almost understand his point - almost. After all, expendable income is all about enjoyment, whether it’s expensive holidays, a luxury sports car or the ability to own (literally) your friends at your favorite game. But still…

The lucky recipients of this record order were <censored>, <censored> provider of WoW Gold, based out of <censored>. “When we saw the order request come in, we just laughed; it’s not unusual to get joke requests”, said <censored>, the Customer Service Leader managing the shift the order came in on. “But the guy persisted and provided us with a phone number that matched up with his registered address. When we realized that this might be a serious order, we took the steps to further verify Jake’s identity and the validity of his request with his bank.” Within a few days the deal was done and Jake was on his way to being what must certainly be the only World of Warcraft millionaire on the planet… though he’ll have to spread the wealth over atleast 5 characters as the currency limit for a single player (only ever acheived twice before in the game’s history) is just over 210,000 Gold.

Jake plans to gear up his characters with the best of everything the game has to offer, but he’s not forgotten his fellow guild members either. His girlfriend, also a World of Warcraft player, was pleasantly surprised when she found a 50,000 Gold 21st birthday gift from Jake in her in-game mailbox. It’s no diamond ring, but it’s pretty close in WoW!

What...the...fuck

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:15:02 PM »

It's true what they say - no one ever went broke by underestimating the stupidity of the American public.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 08:50:06 PM »

That fucker must wipe his ass with $20s, because that's most peoples' annual salary.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
That fucker must wipe his ass with $20s, because that's most peoples' annual salary.

Damn close....

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »

What are you even going to DO with that? I've got 15k gold and nothing to buy. You level your professions and get your mounts and then golds only use is upkeep. Repairs, consumables, stuff like that. The good gears all from either pvping or raiding. And while I guess you can pay people to carry you through a raid I don't think even they charge that much.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »

Lame.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »

You know damn well Wrath of the Lich King is gonna have a major gold sink, but I'd call that over-preparing. :P

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:26:26 PM »

Here's my thing: There's no way this guy won't get caught.

Do you think Blizzard won't notice an amount like a million gold trickling into an account?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »

Oh that'll be hilarious. Buy $40k in gold and get banned.
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »

Hmm.. I only played WoW for a couple months but I was under the assumption that gold was really easy to get. I can't imagine $40,000 being worth that.

Edit:
What a cheap bastard. Gets a million and only gives his girlfriend 50,000. Probably some dude anyway..:^O

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: