Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334713 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The fighting game thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: The fighting game thread  (Read 14706 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »

I know there are a lot more here besides me who love fighting games.  I'm no great shakes at them (I get clowned by my 12 year nephew all the time), but I love them all the same.  So let's discuss, what are some of your favorite fighting series and why?  

I'm not going to lie, I am a Tekken fan.  I prefer it to Namco's other franchise Soul Calibur because I prefer hand-to-hand fighters rather than weapons based ones.  In addition, Tekken's control scheme of mapping one button to each limb just makes perfect sense to me, especially when trying to figure out combos.  Tekken 3, Tekken Tag, and Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection are my personal favorites in that series.  

Tekken is both fun for beginners and has depth for better players.  In Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection, no button-mashing newb could clown an expert Anna or Dragunov player.  Good step up from 4 where a button masher could clown people with Christie (who I tend to find difficult to use.)  It's funny how some characters actually play worse when a player gets some skill.  

I like Soul Calibur as well, but more for just mindless fun.  I find Tekken a much deeper fighter.

I also love the Guilty Gear games for no other reason but the music.  Guilty Gear provides the kind of music I want to kick people's asses to.  I don't have to mute and throw on a death metal CD.  

My favorite 2D fighter is still Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 for Dreamcast.  I mean, everything about that game is complete awesomesauce.  

I gotta give props to Dead or Alive.  Despite its infamous jiggle factor, it's also a no-nonsense fighting game that actually require skill rather than button-mashing.  You actually have to *gasp* block and use reversals effectively.  Obviously Virtua Fighter is way more hard core, but I find Dead or Alive more fun.

So, yeah, fighting games.  I've played many, but these are the ones that stand out to me.  And I still posit that the Dreamcast was the best console for fighters.  What do the rest of you fighting fans like?  

EDIT:  What about what you don't like?  For me, I'm not a fan of SNK fighters.  I've played various installments of Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and others but I just couldn't get into them.  Only SNK fighter I liked was Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast, which I think it one of the better weapons-based fighters out there.  But other than that, not a big SNK fan.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »

I know alot of people will say this, but Super Smash Bros. is my favorite. I've been playing it since the N64 days and am pretty good at it. I like the Soul Calibur series as well, and can't wait to play #4. Other than that, I used to play the older Mortal Kombat games but lost interest. Tried Dead or Alive and didn't like it, and only have played Tekken 3.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »

My main game is Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, but I can hold my own in Tekken 5 and Tekken 6.  I'd like to take you on someday, Neal. ;)

Can't stand Soul Calibur, it's a button-masher in my opinion.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:22:32 PM »

I don't play many fighters anymore, but back in the day I was a total Darkstalkers whore.  <3 Morrigan.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »

The last fighting game I played was Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection online for the PS3. It was good times. I'm looking forward to Tekken 6 and Soul Calibur 4. Also, it must be said, Street Fighter 4. Hell fucking yeah.

Aside from the big ones, I bought an all-female fighting game called Arcana Hearts sometime ago. Haven't played it yet, but it looks interesting. It's a 2D fighter; the character designs look nice, Darkstalkers comes to mind. Oh, and I forgot about Mortal Kombat vs DC. Judging from the game-play videos, it looks fun, but the graphics could use some major work.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:08:53 PM »

Ive enjoyed Guilty Gear, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Street Fighter.  Im eagerly awaiting SC IV, cause while it can be a button masher at times, its still a hell of alot of fun.  Plus its got Star Wars characters which, while not making a whole lot of sense, is a big plus for me.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

The last one I played was, of all things, Bleach: The Blade of Fate for the DS. It's a Treasure title though, a great scoring one at that, and for $8 was a great value. Before that, I just got Tekken 5 then later MKII for the PS3. I played a good bit of the former but not much of the latter. MK really was mostly good for a cheap thrill, and now we have stuff like Gears/God of War more suited to satisfying our bloodlust.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:51:20 PM »

Out if the big 4 fighting series (Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Dead or Alive), I've only played a little bit of VF4, I own VF5, and I've played some Tekken.

I love the Super Smash Bros. series, though I haven't touched Brawl since I'm not gonna buy a Wii for that game alone. I used to be pretty decent at Melee (good compared to people I know IRL), but I stopped playing it about two years ago.

I grew up with Mortal Kombat on the SNES and N64, even though I was like 6-7 years old. Let's just say I sucked, since I didn't know how to do the combos, much less the finishing moves.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 12:50:27 AM »

Probably going to pick up the import of Battle Fantasia this weekend.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »

Gameplay -- Guilty Gear

Nostalgia -- Street Fighter Alpha

Tits -- Soul Calibur

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:40 AM »

I'll talk about the games I've played. Sorry in advance about the spelling/grammar/typos/incoherrency/etc. It took too long to write this and I'm too lazy to go back and change everything.

Super Smash Bros. - a very simple fighter that's best as a party game. Because it's so simple you can avoid one player having a huge advantage over others because they play it more often.

Tekken 3, 5, (and maybe 6) - Tekken 3 and 5 are probably my favorite fighting games. The controls aren't as smooth feeling as in Soul Calibur but they aren't hard to get used to and back in the day I thought the controls of Tekken 3 were a perfect in that the game was 3D and yet you felt very much like you were playing Street Fighter II. I like the fact that the characters are contemporary and realistic as compared to the characters in other series. One of the best things about Tekken though is the humor. I don't think any other fighting game has made me lol as much as Tekken has.

I excluded the first two tekken games because I have little experience with them and they look horrible. I excluded 4 because the game play sucks but I should note that the game still looked beautiful and the endings were still hilarious (and serious where they needed to be, for example in Jin's ending, etc.). I have yet to play 6 but I'm sure it will be awesome.

Soul Calibur - I've only played SCII and SCIII. Soul Calibur II was great in that the controls were simple and felt very smooth and intuitive. I liked collecting the different weapons and making use of their abilities. SCIII on the other hand sucked. Sure, it made some improvements here and there and tried to give you the ability to make custom characters but for the most part it sucked. I could go on and on but I won't.

The worst part of Soul Calibur though is the story. Something about and evil sword, eternally retold, blah blah blah.

SCIV looks to try and makes some bold, interesting changes which to gameplay which I find intriguing, but mostly I expect more of the same. Also, adding Star Wars characters is retarded.

Street Fighter II, Alpha 3, and EX3 - Street Fighter II is the classic, no explanation needed. Street Fighter Alpha 3 had greatly improved game play and one of the best casts of characters imo. EX3 wasn't the greatest but hey, it's classic Street Fighter in 3D and it had some interesting characters.

Darkstalkers - Okay, so I never got to play any of the original games but I picked up the Chaos Tower for PSP. It's basically a hybrid-collection. It's decent, but not much to talk about. I'd consider it maybe a step above Street Fighter II but not quite Alpha 3. What it lacks in other areas though it makes up for with character. One of the things I love about this game besides the simple game play are the unique characters and the many humorous animations for attacks.

One game I haven't seen mentioned: Marvel Vs. Capcom. Arguably another classic fighting game everyone has to play. I don't have a lot of experience with MvCII but I would like to own it one day. I'm sure the price is going to be ridiculous though...
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:15:04 AM »

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is hands down my favorite 2d fighter.  I could go on about others until the cows come home but let's just say I'm getting Soul Calibur 4 next week for sure.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »

no no... i just can't take see Soul Calibur as a serious fighting game anymore...

anyway, i'm not bug with 3D fighters, but VF is good
i'd rather 2D fighters, and arcade competition with GG, SF and KoF are intense!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:19:18 AM »

Quite a few Darkstalkers fans I see.  I like Darkstalkers as well, though I haven't played very many of them.  Felicia was always my favorite in that game.  The most offbeat Capcom fighter I've played is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.  Playing as the dog or the bird is pretty amusing.  And yes, Street Fighter IV looks absolutely boss.

One upcoming release I'm a little leery about is Guilty Gear 2: Overture.  Maybe I'm being petulant, but I was expecting a vs. fighting game, not some action/RTS hybrid.  I don't know how that's going to turn out.  Oh well, at least we still have GG: X2.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 07:47:58 AM »

My favorite will always be Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. It's easy to pick up and play and you don't need to know lots of convoluted bullshit to play well (like in Virtua Fighter). For me, fighters are a casual experience. They're supposed to offer quick pick-up-and-play mechanics but not be so deep that I can't get into them right away.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: