Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:10:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319788 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The fighting game thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The fighting game thread  (Read 14361 times)
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 08:02:48 AM »

omg, i can't believe i left MvC2 out - that's basically my arcade schooling right there!

yeah, i think if there was a fighting game that has shaped my style, it would have to be MvC2
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:34 PM »

Did anyone ever play Rival Schools on the Playstation? It was a Capcom 3D fighter, that struck a good balance between skill and fun. It had some really great character design too. It had two discs, and also featured numerous mini-games and other content. That's one of my favourites. I believe they also released a version on the Dreamcast.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:01:56 PM »

Yeah, I actually had Rival Schools(2?) on the PS2 or Dreamcast, I forget. That game had some crazy team-up combos.  I seem to recall kicking a guy with the soccer chick and the baseball guy would smash the shit out of him. It was a finisher or somethiing. Fun Game.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31:07 PM »

I think characters are one thing that makes fighting games interesting for me.  Since others talked about their faves, I'll mention a few of mine.  In Tekken 5 my favorite character is Anna, but I'm best with Nina as she's more forgiving (read: easier) to play.  In Guilty Gear X2 I tend to get the furthest with Zappa, though my favorites are Chipp and Axl.  In Marvel vs. Capcom 2, the team I've found the most success with is Mega Man, Jill and Rogue.  However, my favorite is Tron Bonne because if she's set up right and with the right team, her specials hit for insane amounts of damage.

I tend to like speedier fighters than big slow brutes.  I also tend to perfer female fighters to males (mainly because they're faster and more agile).  The first time I play a fighting game, I'll always choose one of the ladies.  The one exception was Guilty Gear X2 where the first character I tried was Testament.

I approve of this nonsense!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

That's how I am in the fighting games I play. I prefer to fight with the speed characters that can pull of the quick combos rather than the slow fuckers where you have to wait until the right time to even attack. In VF5, the only character I'm good with is Eileen due to her speed and fluidity (if that is a word.) Same with Fox from SSB/Melee, though I did get good with Roy in Melee...
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:02 PM »

I've loved the Soul series from Soul Blade. Siegfried rules, especially in SCIII, almost to the point of being broken... Speed, range & power with a whacking great sword and patricidal tendencies to boot!

I've also enjoyed the Capcom Vs. series since XMen Vs. SF, which, by the way, I still don't think has been bettered in terms of tag-team 2D-ness, although MvC2 gives it a good run for its money!

And all this talk of the Vs. games gives me an excuse to crack the old avatar out...

Other than those two, SFIII: Third Strike has to be one of the most beautiful 2D fighters I've ever had the pleasure to have played (I seem to remember reading at the time of its release that Ryu's ha-dou-ken move had 3 times the frames of animation in SFIII than the entire character had in the first release of SFII), whereas SF Alpha III has some of the most perfect gameplay... Now, if only that could've been combined!

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »

Did anyone ever play Rival Schools on the Playstation? It was a Capcom 3D fighter, that struck a good balance between skill and fun. It had some really great character design too. It had two discs, and also featured numerous mini-games and other content. That's one of my favourites. I believe they also released a version on the Dreamcast

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that game. That was a fun game. Shoma kicks ass.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »

I thought this would be a proper thread to place this in. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is being hinted.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »

So long as it's a fighting game rather than some wack-ass RTS/hack 'n slash hybrid like Guilty Gear 2: Overture, I'll be a happy camper.  MvC2 is still my favorite 2D fighter.  

I do hope they maintain the 2D gameplay but with the seamless 3D cinematics like in Street Fighter IV.  That game looks absolutely boss.  Have I said that already?  

And obviously, MvC3 had better be multiplatform.  The Xbox 360's D-pad is much better for fighting games than Sony's D-pad is.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 03:21:33 PM »

I hate D-Pads in general, as I really hate performing combos that start off with those arc motions like V,\,> since it doesn't feel very comfortable and I wish fighting games would allow analog control. Maybe I'm spoiled by SSB, but that's my main problem with fighting games.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2008, 05:15:13 PM »

Arcana Heart, for example, allows analog control.  I believe many of the newer fighters to as well, you just need to approve it in the options menu. However, I don't like using analog in fighting games because it feels loose and slippery to me when doing the arc motions.  I like that little bit of resistance a D-pad offers, probably because I'm used to it.  But Sony's D-pads are terrible.  I've heard stories about people gluing or taping coins onto their Sony gamepads and PSPs for fighting games.  Sony's D-pad is adequate for Tekken since it's slower paced and the specials/combos don't use arcs much if at all.  But for something like Guilty Gear which is arc heavy, Sony's D-pad fails.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2008, 08:15:44 PM »

I find the D-pad fine on Sony systems, though VF5 is the only fighter I have for the PS3 at the moment. The only arc motions I have trouble with on Sony's D-pad are the ones where you start from one side and go all the way over to the other. I have no comment on the Xbox controller, as I've only played, gasp, FPSes on it, so I've never touched the D-pad.

Yeah, it does feel slippery on analog control, but it feels better for combos, but I prefer the D-pad to move around though.
Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »

I loved Project Justice (Rival Schools 2) and MvC2. Also the Guilty Gear games up to #Reload.

Nothing.
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 05:22:19 AM »

What no love for Capcom vs SNK 2?
Of all the VS games I like that one the most, it's more technical and not all flashy combo driving as MvsC2.

Also Tekken series is great, Namco need to bring T6 to the PS3 already.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes on the PSP, had great fun with that.
Played the PS3 demo of Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm and it looked and played great, looking forward to that one.

Best fight ever in a fighting game for me was when I played SF Alpha on the PSX at a friends house and we unlocked Dramatic Battle. Ken and Ryu vs M. Bison was epic I tell ya! EPIC!
Developers need to implement that stuff in fighting games more often, 2 players against end boss, hell make the boss cheap and hard. Makes the victory that much sweeter.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »

Best fight ever in a fighting game for me was when I played SF Alpha on the PSX at a friends house and we unlocked Dramatic Battle. Ken and Ryu vs M. Bison was epic I tell ya! EPIC!
Developers need to implement that stuff in fighting games more often, 2 players against end boss, hell make the boss cheap and hard. Makes the victory that much sweeter.

Try playing Reverse Dramatic Battle against two Bisons, Evil Ryus, or Akumas. Now that shit is hard. I gave up trying to win.

As for the D-pad debate, I hate the Xbox D-pad because it's two wobbily. I remember trying to navigate a menu on the 360 with the controller and the cursor kept jumping around. I've also had problems with similar controllers for my PC when playing certain games. My characters kept doing going left or right when I was trying to press down and vice versa. Personally, I find the PS controller to be the best. I've never had a problem with it.

Also, there was a problem with the D-pads on fat PSPs. Not sure if the problem still exists but it was easy enough to fix, thankfully.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: