Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 06:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319198 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  The fighting game thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: The fighting game thread  (Read 14348 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 02:42:17 PM »

I prefer to concentrate heavily on one or two characters, but still play around with others just for fun.  For example, in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, I'm all about Anna.  She's a deep and challenging character, but somehow I have mojo with her.  I'm way better with Nina since she's a more forgiving character, but I prefer to use Anna. 

That's how it happens, when I play a fighting game, I try out all the characters and find the "one" I have the mojo with.  Often it's one of the more challenging characters.  Zappa is reportedly one of the most challenging characters to play as in Guilty Gear, but somehow I felt very comfortable with him from the start and had an easier time kicking butt with him than with Sol or Ky.  I'm all about Zappa in Guilty Gear.  Oh, and Jam.  Of all the Guilty Gear females, Jam's the one I'm best with.  And it doesn't hurt that she's the sexiest video game character I've ever laid eyes on:P  Normally, I tend to favor female characters and usually start with them (I'm all about Felicia in Darkstalkers) but with Guilty Gear, I just fell in with Zappa.  Guess that's why I liked Arcana Heart.  All-girl fighting and it was a deep hardcore fighter.  I'm all about Yoriko in Arcana Heart. 

With something like Marvel vs. Capcom 2, I just mess around with them all.  I'm not a Capcom vs. SNK fan because though I think the SNK characters are cooler, the control scheme for the game favors the Capcom characters (well, duh, it *is* a Capcom game.)

Anyone ever find that the more you play and the better you get at fighting games the worse you become with the n00b magnets?  In Tekken 4, Christie was a total button mash character yet the better I got at the game, the worse I got with Christie.  Maybe it's because I started overthinking her capoeira and about how to utilize her unique strikes and groundwork to explot openings.  Heh, go figure, I think like a more advanced fighter and I flub on a n00b magnet.  Or in Soul Calibur, the better I got at the game, the worse I got with Kilik and Xianghua but the better I got with Yoshimitsu and Voldo.  Taki's probably my favorite in Soul Calibur. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:29:00 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 06:03:30 PM »

I'm not a Capcom vs. SNK fan because though I think the SNK characters are cooler, the control scheme for the game favors the Capcom characters (well, duh, it *is* a Capcom game.)

Being one of my favorite fighters ever (after SFA3), I'm curious what you mean.  It feels like the SNK characters control similar to the Capcom characters (I even prefer the SNK characters over most capcom people (except Vega[US].  I thought others were the same but perhaps I'm mistaken).  Though, I agree some of them could use some different controls.  Rock was a cool character, but his moves weren't amazing. Nakoruru's specials were decent, but hard to pull off (to me, the double hcf are difficult).

Really excited for 2009.  SF4 and KOF12.  Hopefully some of the arcades near me get the machines.

Quote from: Marshmallow
Anybody else have any dedicated characters?

Yep. 

Street Fighter Alpha 3 = Vega
Capcom vs SNK 2 = Terry and Vega.  Joe Higashi if I need a third.

Had some dedicated ones for MvC2, but I haven't played it in awhile so I kinda forget
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 06:23:23 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 08:24:45 PM »

Though, I agree some of them could use some different controls.  Rock was a cool character, but his moves weren't amazing. Nakoruru's specials were decent, but hard to pull off (to me, the double hcf are difficult.)

That's more or less what I mean.  I felt the controls made a noticeable portion (at least to me) of the SNK characters' moves harder to pull off than in a dedicated SNK game.  That's a sore point among a lot of people regarding Capcom vs. SNK. 

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 08:33:02 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:10 PM »

Street Fighter Alpha 3 = Vega

If you're talking about Claw Vega, I like him, especially IIRC the fact that he can wall jump, but I don't think he has any attacks to keep the opponent at bay. That said, I like faster people, so he might be fun to mess around with.

As far as SFIV goes, I think I'm going to attempt to get good with a non-shoto character just for the hell of it. I'm thinking about working with El-Fuerte. The majority of his moves seem to stem from the QCF/QCB motion plus any of the punch/kick buttons, so he seems easy enough to get used to. He also has a wall jump. I sorta wished that I had tried more characters out at the arcade when I actually got to play SFIV, but I didn't have the disposable income at the time. ;_;

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »

Quote from: Dincrest on October 17, 2008, 02:42:17 PM
I'm not a Capcom vs. SNK fan because though I think the SNK characters are cooler, the control scheme for the game favors the Capcom characters (well, duh, it *is* a Capcom game.)

the reason it favors capcom characters has more to do with the snk characters movesets being on the whole more difficult. i mean i think it's easier to perform final atomic crusher than any of geese howards supers.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:34 AM »

hcb,f + A, A, A, B, B, C, C, D, D, qcb + C

N-N-NEO DEADLY DEADLY DEADLY RAAAAAAVE AAAVE AAAVE
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »

I used to like fighting games, until I learned my brother never properly taught me the configs and was using me as a guinea pig. Then I learned, and we started getting into some really heated games [Ex: Throw my controller down, dance in his face]. I absolutely cannot play a fighter by myself - I find myself INSTANTLY bored.

But among my favorites is MVC2, DOA2, Soul Calibur, Tekken 3, GGX2 and Killer Instinct. Edit* Forgot Samurai Showdown.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:32:41 AM by Ithunn » Logged
Musashi
The Original Brave Fencer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2008, 01:59:51 PM »

I've been playing Capcom vs Snk 2 since it came out and i still love it. KoF 12 will be very good. ( i'm a major art fan. I have a associates in graphic desing)  SFIV...fuck its SFIV..who wont play it..? Regarding movesets to characters..I think the only character that got shafted was Geese in CVS2. Come on..trying to do a raging storm when you need it is like god answering a prayer..hell doing it period is a godsend at times when i'm playing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: