Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 03:07:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327451 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV DS Impressions Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: FFIV DS Impressions Thread  (Read 12047 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:21:03 AM »

I couldn't find a thread on this that was within the last few months, so I started anew.

Picked this game up yesterday.
Only made it as far as Tellah joining my party, but here are my initial impressions.

Graphics are in the same vain as FF3 DS, but maybe slightly better.

Music is classic FF, brings back a lot of memories.

Voice acting...I've only heard a few character's voices at this point, but I'm not disappointed. I would've chosen a different voice for Kain, he sounds like a barrel chested wrestler, but it's by no means bad.

Difficulty is much harder than I remember. I had to stock up on potions on my way to the Mist Dragon as the goblins nearly did me in a few times.
I almost saw the game over screen several times in the desert around Mist and before finding Tellah in the cave I don't think Rydia spent any battles alive.

There is now a map on the touch screen. Towns show you the locations of the inn, armor shop etc. Dungeons show the location of treasure boxes. Similar to Star Ocean 3, you get special bonuses for getting a 100% map, but it's not as annoying to do as SO3.

The change that I've heard many people online grumble about is Rydia's Eidolon. You can summon her Eidolon to fight for her in battle, ala FF12, and to make her Eidolon stronger you can play various mini games to increase it's strength. Using the DS touch screen you're also given the option to paint a new face for this character. Not sure how useful this will be, but I might give it a try.

The characters skills are changed all around, and you can now get augments from characters who leave your party and from completing maps, etc. The augments will add a skill/technique to the character of your choice, but the choice is permanent.

The script has been completely updated from 1991 dialoque to 2008 dialogue. A nice little tidbit is that in the status screen, you will see various thoughts of Cecil's to see how he feels about the current event you're undertaking. A very nice touch.

Overall I'm much more impressed than the FF3 DS remake and can't wait to play through the rest to see what else has been added/changed.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »

"You Spoony Bard" was left in. =)

My thoughts are generally the exact same otherwise. x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
"You Spoony Bard" was left in. =)

My thoughts are generally the exact same otherwise. x)

They HAD to leave that in, and I'm glad it was :D
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:07:58 PM »

Just got back from picking it up. I've been pretty excited for this ever since it was announced.
I should have brought my DS with me to work and played some over lunch.
Oh well. I'll start it up tonight, then offer my thoughts.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

"You spoony bard" is a completely grammatically and lexically correct sentence which describes Edward perfectly and reflects Tellah's personality perfectly. I'm not sure why this was ever considered a translation quirk (Unless it wasn't considered a mistranslation or something.)

Actually most people played FFIV when they were young and come on how many ten year olds know what spoony means.

Anyway, are characters' skills usefuler now? How balanced is everything?

Also I've heard it's harder, but is it hard but fair, hard and unfair, or hard and more of a grindfest than PS2 and WoW having sex in a carnival ride while vomitting infants?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »

Much tougher, I'd think, as opposed to hard...if you want to be picky.
Enemies certainly deal harder punches, however IMO (and from what I can remember of the older game versions) character attributes help compensate the difficulty by emphasizing their respective battle roles.

You need some strategy, in other words.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:22:59 PM »

For example, at the beginning, you have roughly 200hp or so, and goblins deal 20hp, and when you fight 4-6 of them at a time, you'll be sucked dry in no time.

When I first got to the underground waterway place where you get Tellah, the mini mages were doing 60-70hp each magic attack, and when you only have 300hp and Rydia has ~100hp, you're toast in no time.

I do like how when you level up you get to see how each stat increased.
I feel far too many games these days have stats only because an RPG needs them, but they're more or less behind the scenes.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

Yeah, I picked this up as well.  I'm not sure why everybody is saying it's much harder, the difficulty feels about the same to me.  Then again I don't know if I played the easy/hard version as a kid or what.  I look at it like this, the games a decent challenge but as long as you don't run from any battles (aside from Sand Worms) you should be fine.  I always take an extra 5 minutes to level up Rydia to level 10 when I get her because level 7 just doesn't cut it.  Aside from that I haven't stopped to grind anywhere and I'm doing alright so far.  About to fight the tentacled one.

I really like all of the stuff they added, it definitely makes the game feel fresh again.  I've played through FFIV 3-4 times, but I've never beaten it oddly enough.  I'm really enjoying the Map Completion thing that was added.  It's exactly like Star Ocean 3, but you get nifty little items for getting 100% map completion for each level of a dungeon.  This also helps to balance the difficulty.  The augment thing seems like it's definitely going to change things up once I get further into the game.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 05:48:19 PM »

I was late for work cause I needed to go grab it on the way.

Now my wife is off her shift back at home and playing it.  :(

I have to wait another four hours.  :(((

Tridius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:50 PM »

Well i have the game and so far from my impressions. Is that i noticed Rydia seems to get some more white mage spells.

For example at Level 10 she learns Esuna. Which in all the other versions She just get's Cure, Sight and Hold.
Also she learns Confuse at level 8.

Wait now Rydia can learn Cura and at Level 12.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Then again I don't know if I played the easy/hard version as a kid or what.

The US SNES got an easier version. People typically say Easytype, but that's not quite accurate. The Japanese Easytype release has some notable changes to make it far easier at points than we had, such as Ribbon absorbing elemental damage. Also, 'hardtype', the version we got on the PS1, is really just the regular FFIV, nicknamed due to contrasting with Easytype.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:26:45 PM »

I'd be buying it tonight if it wasn't for the fact I won't have money until tomorrow :( At least I get to buy myself some lunch or something while I'm out

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

I'm actually finding the DS game much easier than the Final Fantasy Chronicles (hard type) version. But I've played through the Chronicles FFIV a few times so that is probably why. I haven't had any troubles whatsoever and I'm at Mt. Ordeals after only five hours.

I'm really enjoying the new script even if the story hasn't really been fleshed out (at least not yet). The better writing/translation makes the game feel like it has more depth considering the quick pace of the plot.

The only augment I've used is Counter for Cecil, and it is pretty useful. Never bothered using Whyt at all, though, from the sounds of it, the little thing could become quite useful later on. Oh, and Edward was actually useful this time around! Yay! His Bard songs were a great help. Before I would just always leave him dead, but I used him a lot this time around.

No complaints from me as far as the voice acting goes.

It's a very faithful, but fresh remake, I think.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »

I'm hoping to get my copy in the mail tomorrow.  I've only managed to get halfway through the import (Underground) before life/impatienceWithPetrify got in the way.  >_>;

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 10:47:29 PM »

I finished the JP version back in December.  It's sweet.

For those that haven't noticed, using rod-type weapons as items during battle = massive pwnage.  Rydia is a fuckin' BEAST during the beginning stages of the game using this technique.  Just a little tip. :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: