Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 05:53:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334603 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Movies and the economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Movies and the economy  (Read 4633 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »

I saw an interesting editorial on TV the other day.  It was talking about how in the current economy where every industry and profession is feeling a crunch, the film industry is thriving.  On the one hand it's nice to see that in this economy at least SOMEthing is doing well.  On the other hand, it makes sense.  I mean even at $10, movie ticket prices haven't been inflating that much.  And with gas and travel expenses being what they are, families are opting not to go to grandmas or on road trips to Wally World, and instead enjoy an economical family night out at the local movie theater.  Even with popcorn, a trip to the movies likely costs less than a full tank of gas, particularly if you drive a family hauler like an SUV or even a minivan.  In addition, movies are staying in theaters for longer durations because of this.  

And when you think about it, when times are tough, it's when you want some escapism.  That's a big reason why we go to the movies anyway.  In looking at other cultures, daily living in India is pretty rotten so people go to those colorful Bollywood films to escape from it.  

Thoughts on this state of affairs?  Could this state of affairs affect filmmaking?

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
And when you think about it, when times are tough, it's when you want some escapism.

If you hadn't already said it, this is exactly what I was going to say.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:32:13 PM »

Yeah, the worst of times tend to mean success for the movie industry.  For example, they didn't do too badly during the Depression.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »

I go to the the theaters about the same amount: once a year. Going to the theater is like overpaying Netflix or Blockbluster for a rental, in my opinion. The tickets haven't increased too much, but fucking food is too expensive at movie theaters. It's plausible at sporting events when they need $100 million just to pay the salaries of the players, but not for movie theaters where kids are working minimu wage...
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »

Damn, yeah I am with dalucifer on this one, I go to movie theaters maybe once a year.  Paying $10 for a movie ticket and then another $10 on a medium popcorn and drink is just absolutely outrageous.  I'd rather go to blockbuster and split a movie with a bunch of friends than go sit in a theater.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »

I go to the movies when stuff I'm interested in comes out because I like experiencing them on the big screen. Watching Transformers on a regular TV just isn't the same experience. I've been to the theater about 10 or so times so far this year.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
I go to the movies when stuff I'm interested in comes out because I like experiencing them on the big screen. Watching Transformers on a regular TV just isn't the same experience. I've been to the theater about 10 or so times so far this year.

Josh,

I've studied film for a long time (did most of Ph.D. in it) and one thing that's always been lost on me is the concept of the "theater experience." In fact, as home theaters get more and more impressive (hi-Def, 7.1, etc.,) the idea of the theater experience becomes less and less important. This is something the move industry has had to respond to before as well. Widescreen, for example, began as a response to home TVs and their standard aspect ratio.

I think something like Disney's Real 3D will become more and more important from here on out as customers continue to become frustrated with ticket prices in a poor economy. The only exception to this rule are films like Batman 2, which had so much hype, they could have charged $20 and people would have gone....

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »

It's not the HD and such I care about, its the amazing surround sound and huge screen that I could never buy myself. I just like seeing all my movies in theaters, even if owning them on blu-ray will give me a higher quality picture.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 04:38:04 PM »

Quote from: "Blace"
It's not the HD and such I care about, its the amazing surround sound and huge screen that I could never buy myself.

Yet.

And that's my point. If these are the items you are looking for only in a "theater experience" than the movie industry at the box office is in big trouble as prices become more and more affordable for past luxury items (big screen TVs, professional audio).

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »

I forgot to mention I'm an impatient person and can't wait months for movies to come out on DVD if I am truly interested in it.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »

Because I just have a shitty old 19 inch TV, I tend to go to see stuff I want to see on a big screen. Like Batman and Hellboy.

That said, just buy some candy and a drink before you go in. As long as you're not pirating the film, they don't seem to care what you do.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »

Or, imagine this, DONT BUY THE FOOD.  

Its quite possible to watch a film at the theatre without overpaying for shit.  Eat and drink before you go in (not so much that youll have to pee) and tada your only paying for a movie ticket.

And to me there is a difference between watching something on my HD tv here at home and going to the theatre to watch it on the super big screen with the sound and its just an experience.

Im sorry but most people dont have giant theatres they can just plop down in front of and say "Hey lets watch a movie!"

Plus, for me, I pay 5 bucks for a matinee, and 8 for a nighttime one, though I rarely go and see a late night one (Big brother rant)

Sorry a little offbase there.  Anyways, for the time being, I enjoy going to the theatre.  There may come a time when that changes, and then hey, oh well.  But for now its enjoyable and thats all there is to it.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 05:00:25 AM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
Plus, for me, I pay 5 bucks for a matinee, and 8 for a nighttime one, though I rarely go and see a late night one cause fuck, if I can pay only 5 bucks cause I go before all the little teens and their dates come so they can get all close before they go and get it on while not using protection and get their underage asses pregnant and then i laugh at their stupidity.

... Are you saying that people have sex in the theaters you go to?
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 12:09:54 PM »

I think he's editorializing because he wants to be one of those teens having casual sex and getting girls pregnant.

Or...somethin.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »

lol no, im upset because a friend of mine, whos like a little sister to me, is being promiscous at a young age and it made me upset to find out, especially because she told me she didnt use protection.  So yeah, sorry about the rant.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: