Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:03:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Site Related & More
| |-+  RPGFan: The Boards
| | |-+  attitudes + rpgfan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: attitudes + rpgfan  (Read 8142 times)
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »

is it just me or are there a large number of people on here who have the rudest things to say about EVERYTHING. im a member of  a couple other gaming forums (only one i religiously post in) and by comparison the people on here can be UBER rude. im not sure if its just the nature of the members here or what. either way i can deal...

anyways love this site and hope it sticks around for a long time, even though i risk getting flamed everytime i post i really love hearing what you guys have to say about things that have come out and things that are upcoming,
cheers
[/rant]
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:17:15 AM »

I have no idea what you're talking about.

terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »

rather than go back and find actual posts (for fear of starting arguments all over again) you havent noticed bickering or fighting on a regular basis? people getting banned for rude comments etc.? if not you must be on a different section of the boards than i am.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

So you're complaining about something, yet won't actually say what?  That's pretty ineffectual.  If you're gonna take a stand, then take a stand and spare me this passive-aggressive nonsense.

terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:18:03 AM »

no you guys arent rude at ALL...

thats a pretty good example right there. im not taking a stand against anything, just sayin there are some rude people on here, which is proven by the number of people who get banned. case in point, i post this message which isnt really anything bad, and i get the above reply.youve proven my point right there, just in the way you responded to my post.

if you must have an example here are a few:
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=4156&start=0

and another with the posters name removed

"Wait....wait....what the fuck? Overrated Mystic Quest? Overrated? Mystic Quest? Seriously? You have lost that tiny shred of credibility that you might have had. Which is to say...the .01% of what you say being reasonable. I remain firm in my belief that you are an idiot."

and another from the same page:

"wtf do you mean, "like Lunar"? I just listed two perfectly viable places for them to make an awesome, legitimate "Lunar 3," ... did you dismiss them, or are you just pulling stuff out your butt at this point?
"

and another:

"You're full of shit. Metal Gear Solid 4 is rendered at 1024x768 and thus has a lot of jagged edge issues due to having to be rescaled for 1280x720 or 1920x1080 displays. It's even more blatant on a quality 1080p display, like mine. "

this is from 2 oe 3 minutes of searching. im sure if i looked harder and longer i could find much more. my point is, a lot of people seem to be rude for no reason. im not sure if its just this forum or what. whatever the case i hate it as i really like being part of a forum where people dig the same gaming styles  as myself.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »

As a member of the staff, I sincerely apologize if you have been offended,

JP
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:31:15 AM »

thanks man, im not offended, i just feel like half the time im afraid to post because i'm afraid what sort of insults will come flying due to a disagreement on which FF is better or which console is best etc.

i havent gotten into any fights with anyone on here since i tend to distance myself when i notice someons got a hot head. but the bickering does create a detraction from the subjects at hand.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:31 AM »

I think the key is to avoid anything that is polemical unless you really want to argue for your point.

An example of this is my recent stand in Batman being overrated. I know I'm in the minority, but I also know I can take the heat.

If you ask questions on the boards, people will generally be accepting; if you pose a stance, you'll likely meet resistance,

JP
Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »

I know exactly what you mean. The internet breeds assholes. I apologize if I have ever been offensive. Perhaps we should do more to punish the rude and cruelly sarcastic. After all, they rarely contribute to a conversation anyway. I usually ignore the crude comments, and try to remember never to put too much weight on the opinions of that particular poster again.

I'm all for being a little more kind.

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

glad to hear im not entirely alone in this opinon, i usually dont say polemical things not because i dont have an opinion, i just hate wasting 2 or three pages on: "no my game is better, NO MINE IS". only thing worse is being a pacifist and just watching the conversations as they happen. thats another reason i don't have much interest in getting into online gaming, gaming and game discussion should be fun, not spent in a defensive stance.

not the biggest batman fan eh? im not really either, i did enjoy the new films, if given a choice id take xmen over batman any day.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »

Yeah, there' alot of rude people on these forums, but I just ignore them because they are idiots :P.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

All I have to say is this:  if you think it's hostile now, you should have been here four years ago before I beat these morons into submission. :P

And another thing to remember is that the vast majority of us have been around here for at least five or six years.  In many cases it's more along the lines of a decade.  Tenure breeds familiarity; I mean, if you ever see a thread with me, Dade, and/or Daggerstrike in it, you can rest assured that we'll be talking a lot of shit, because we know each other well.

To be perfectly honest, you haven't been here long enough to get a feel for how things work around here.  We're all pretty old, we're all pretty cranky, but we're also all generally friendly with one another.  That doesn't mean we're always tiptoeing through the fucking tulips together.  That doesn't mean we won't call somebody out on their ridiculousness.  What it does mean is that we're a community, warts and all, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

...I should start writing an annual State of the Boards address. :P

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

Ive been ripped on countless times by said group of buddies, but in their defense I pretty much deserved it.  It sucks, but hey, D-Rider is right.  They have been here a long time, so *shrug*  I just kinda laugh at it, rarely get involved, and if I do try and do my best to hold my own.  

Guess it just comes with being here for awhile lol.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
terrencelee

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »

i dont know, maybe thats how you guys see it, but for me, (being a member of other gaming community forums) i havent experienced this dagger in the back type of banter before. and like i said before, the jerkiness isnt aimed at me (except for on one occasion which i squelched pretty fast) its generally between other members. i have no idea how long they've been members, but to be honest when i post on forums alongside people im freinds with IRL im even MORE civil as were freinds.

if you look at some of the examples i listed above theyre not just ripping on one another, they're downright hateful.

to respond to d-riders post re: hostility
why the hostility at all? thats the part i dont get.

adam sessler did a rant on the same topic recently, he did ramble a bit on the subject but i did agree with a lot of what he said. seems like the consensus is "why worry about anger management? just take it out on your gaming buddies!"

subnote: i SWEAR im not a hippie, im actually pretty hardcore in all aspects of my life, i guess this is just one place i dont understand the need to for it.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »

I think I can speak for Daggerstrike and Darkrider a little bit when I say:

Yes, we are cranky, yes we are assholes, but you're (that is...the royal YOU, not you specifically, terrencelee) are a moron for taking it so personally.

Why. So. Serious?

Cuz da intarwebz is serius biniss.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: