Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:06:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318874 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  If you are wary of the Red Ring of Death, dont buy on ebay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If you are wary of the Red Ring of Death, dont buy on ebay  (Read 2140 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »

Because that voids the warranty and you have to pay 104 bucks to get the damn thing fixed.  Thats what just happened to me, so I plan on just buying a 20gb if theres any left, and hope its one of the newer models so I have a better chance of not having to deal with that crap.  I still want my 360, even though I got screwed, but yeah MS is a douche for making crap consoles.  Ahh well, my fault for being stupid and buying on ebay.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:24:00 PM »

This holds true for any electronics...you buy unauthorized, you lose your warranty...
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »

Yeah I never knew that, so strike me stupid.  I just wanted to warn perspective buyers so they didnt have that happen to them, thats what the purpose of this was.  Cheers!

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »

When I first bought this computer, I bought a stick of RAM off eBay.  When I had computer trouble a while later, Dell told me to fuck off because I didn't buy it from them.  I had bought an extended warranty and everything.  And then that RAM went bad three months later.

Man, fuck electronics.

Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »

Yeah, shits a pain in the ass, thats for sure.

Fortunately there are people with 100% feedback that do repairs for cheaper, and honestly I think id trust them more than I would anything Microsoft would send back, so when I get paid Friday im gonna do that, and see how it goes.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »

MS just wants you to buy another console because they can't sleep at night knowing the Wii, of all things, has more sales than them.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
Fortunately there are people with 100% feedback that do repairs for cheaper, and honestly I think id trust them more than I would anything Microsoft would send back, so when I get paid Friday im gonna do that, and see how it goes.

Well, if the chip that processes graphics is fried... Oh hell the Red Ring just means there was a hardware failure, so that doesn't really mean anything. But was the system already registered to the sell? Or did you just up and tell them you got it off eBay? I think a case like this is where it's good to omit details, because we all know this isn't the buyer's fault, just Microsoft weaseling out of fixing their damn problem.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 05:46:58 AM »

My PSP died one month outside of the warranty, again. The first time I used long distance puppy eyes to get it fixed for free, but I doubt that will work twice in a row. I did everything by the book and systems still screws me over. Next week, I'll get a Pandora and some nice custom firmware. Screw Sony!

Too bad the Xbox360's problems are often more complicated than some dust or a software problem.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
Yeah I never knew that, so strike me stupid.  I just wanted to warn perspective buyers so they didnt have that happen to them, thats what the purpose of this was.  Cheers!

Wasn't meant as a bash to you, your post just seems to be blaming MS.

A lot of car audio companies will only give you a full warranty if you have it installed at an authorized installer.

If you put your speakers or CD player in by yourself and something happens....tough luck.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:05:32 AM »

No you didn't offend me Dasch, I really had no idea that those kinda things voided the warranty and that was really stupid of me cause I'm usually more informed about such things.

And yeah it was already registered to the seller Eusis, so I really didnt have the choice of omitting the details.  I tried to sob it up as best I could but alas, I have no levels of Bard so it didn't work.

I did notice that when I turned it on last night around 4am cause I couldnt sleep, it worked and I was able to fully play the demo that caused it to RROD me earlier in the day.  I did use compressed air bottle to blow into it and stuff, so Im not sure if its an overheating problem or what.  I figure ill test it out again today, cause when it first RROD, it was on for maybe 10 minutes, so it strikes me as strange that it would have been a overheating problem when I was able to play it hours later for 30 minutes.  Electronics confuse the shit outta me sometimes.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »

Bought mine on eBay, 20gb HD, 7 games (including the Oblivion limited ed), two controllers (one wireless), a 256mb memory unit, and battery charger pack for $270. No RRD's or other errors so far. Not having a warranty to fix the damned thing sucks, but I wouldn't be put off eBay just because of that.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »

Well im not put off ebay, I still do alot of business, im just sure some people dont know that fact and think that if they buy it off ebay, they are ok if something breaks in terms of Microsoft fixing it, cause I sure as hell thought I was.

Best bet is to see if they have a warranty available, or something like that, which mine was only 30 days on the specific system i had bought, but there are some that are 180 days, all depends.  I just learned from all this that you gotta be alot more careful with electronics which is maybe something I should have already known, but lol.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: