Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 03:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The Nostalgia Thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: The Nostalgia Thread.  (Read 15088 times)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »

After DR's little rant about the community in the The Boards boards and his current awesome BANNINATION thread, I felt something deep inside of me.  No, it wasn't Dade's finger.  It was a sense of pride that I'm a member of this place.  Through good and bad times, this place has always been a great place to have a conversation, prattle about games and music, or get my gay on.

So, I thought we'd have a little bit of a nostalgia thread.  One where we can talk about when we first joined, share our favorite (or least favorite) memories about this place, our thoughts on the other members, just have our say about why we are here and why we are STILL here.

I joined this place back in 2002 or something like that under the handle of Draconic Emperor Losfer.  RPGFan was the first message board I ever signed up for and is the only one I actually post at now (after a brief stint at RPGamer pretending I was a 14 year old girl).  Prior to posting here, I didn't have any internet at all.  I'd come here during my lunch back when I was in HS and download pictures from the galleries here and then bring them home and look at them on my old /486/ as guidework for "drawring pixtures."

The boards have given me lots of laughs over the ages.  Dade, Daggerstrike, Ark, DR, Dios, and Vil are the internet mafia.  Assholes one and all, but highly entertaining and loyal.  If it wasn't for the colorful identities of these guys, I don't think I would have stayed here past my first week.

On the other hand, we have / had Dincrest (Dezo!), Tamara, General Mortars, Chrono Mike, Hidoshi, Liz, Shiggy, Deg, Masa, Lucca, Hobbit, Grim Reality (you'll always be LoS to me, buddy!), Eus, John, JavelynZA, Rain, Lard, Prime Mover, Syn, Dahlia, Marsh, Nad (he's my biological father), Nuri, and a host of others who may not have been as bombastic as those previously mentioned, but have provided excellent discussion.

Some of my favorite moments here involved the n00b destruction that was constantly happening during my first few years here.  I swear to God, if you could not spell correctly, if you had a stupid avatar, if you breathed the wrong way, someone would fucking kill you.  Chrono7, Oceanus, Jaro, that guy who was gay for Coheed and cambria, and so many others provided so much laughter on their way out of the forums after being verbally bludgeoned by half the members here.  They always ended up with an awesome icon and title thanks to DR or John or Doshi or Parn.  I still fondly remember the night a bunch of us AIM raped Chrono7.  Man, I wish I still had a copy of those logs.

As a Metalhead, I am happy that there's such a large group of us here that sacrifice goats to Satan and or Odin.  I've had better discussions of Metal here than I have on messageboards DEVOTED to ONLY Metal.  Band talk, gear talk, bitching about Iced Earth without Matt Barlow.  The good times here have been great.  I used to get a lot of feedback when I used to post song lyrics here, it really helped me hone my craft.  I appreciated ever speck of praise, every drop of criticism.  Nad's old threads asking us to tell him bands to listen to were great.  Those ended up being, like, 20 pages long each.

Anyway, I feel like an old man, blathering on about the good old days.  And I haven't even been here as long as a lot of other people!

So that's it, guys!  Tell us about your favorite memories of RPGFan!

Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Nad (he's my biological father)

I fucking love you.

Edit: I guess I should contribute to the thread!

I joined RPGFan back in the day when I had a hard on of everything Final Fantasy. I think it was around the time FFX came out. At first I just posted short, straight to the point posts, neither responding nor requiring a response to/from others. Then Losfer joined, and I had someone else here who loved Metal! And being gay. I did not share his love for dickgirls, however. Then I opened up a bit more, got to know the regulars, and we all had some epic orgies that left my cock purple and limp.

Anywho, RPGFan was where I spent about 80% of my time online, as well as in the irc channel. Those were some good times.

Nothing.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »

I'M GETTING TEARY EYED ALREADY.

;______________________________________;

Nad
Morbid Minister

BurningNad
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »

Close your eyes next time I yell out "I'M COMING UNNNNGHHHHGGH"!

Nothing.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »

I'm trying to remember something awesome, but the only thing that comes to mind is from early on in my presence here, like maybe a month or so after I first joined.  I had just gotten back from getting my wisdom teeth removed, and I was totally fucked up from the pain and the drugs and what have you.  I got back, got on the boards, and proceeded to write a fucking incredibly lucid thousand word essay about how badly Kingdom Hearts was going to suck when it came out in the fall.

That would have been fine, had the thread in question not been a Megaman thread.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »

Bitches, please, I'm so old school I was posting on the boards back when we had the old RPGboards. Back in the days when Keith's signatures took up several screens, when Neal was Blademaster Dezo (and before that, a certain penguin.) Back when phoenix and mana were being douches on the board, and Kadamoose and his reptile aliens, communism, and piracy.

Of course, there was also the great masturbation thread, the constant back and forth between Dios and Evan (still immortalized in Dios' sig pic), the ridiculousness/interestingness that was Third...

Though most of my memories at this board have been in the section where most of you folks can't see, and I've made some very good friends. Dincrest, Hidoshi, teh John, Chrono Mike, Ramza, the list goes on. Truly, RPGFan has been a huge part of my life, and it probably will be for years to come.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »

I'm too new to have any memories of this site quite yet, but I'll get there I'm sure (at least I hope).

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:04:53 PM »

Oh, wow, SP.  I always forget about Third until someone brings him up.  He's got to be the only guy to achieve thousands of posts before being banhammered into the next century.

I remember he just went nuts one night, posting tits in some thread...  Then after being banned, he regged as "sephiroth" and was banned moments later FOREVER.

...COUNTERSTRIKE.

I remember a month after agreeing to write music for it, he AIMed me and man, was he cranky about everyone's lack of progress.  Oh, well.  That's what you get for not actually paying people.  :P

I still have the incomplete midis on a CD ROM somewhere.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 09:07:50 PM »

Third's moved on to video blogging.  I had a link to his Youtube shit at one point, but that was a while back.  Maybe a search for "pretentious douche" would find him. :P

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:58 PM »

This forum is, hands-down, one of the homiest places I've posted at since I first discovered the internet when I was 14 or 15. That's saying a lot since there are so many awful forums filled with idiots and unfunny pricks. It's great here because whatever topic is being discussed, people will put their all into how they feel about it, with detail, and most of the time, everyone is civil. I've seen how the people at RPGamer are, and I wasn't pleased with them, but the 'Fan community is mellow, relaxed, and cool. Two big thumbs up, for reals.

Then there's the music forum, where many posters have exposed me to so many good bands, and I'm truly grateful for them. I've pretty much started my interest for metal because of the 'Fan posters here. Thank you, folks.

In the end, I'll never stop posting here, (until DR bans me xD) you're all good acquaintances to me.

Edit:
Quote from: "Losfer"
. . . I felt something deep inside of me. No, it wasn't Dade's finger.

ROFL, that had me dying.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

Now I feel like a dick for not coming here earlier. Of course, if I did, I would have been a kid. Damnit, now I feel like a dick for being born in '91. Screw you and your thread=/.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 10:06:58 PM »

I consider these boards my education on how to be a huge dick. Which, compared to my spammed email that teaches me how to HAVE a huge dick, is actually valuable. (cuz I already got a massive dong, 'natch).

These boards fuckin rule, and I <3 the 'doshi forever. And everyone else.

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »

Quote from: "Jet16"
Now I feel like a dick for not coming here earlier. Of course, if I did, I would have been a kid. Damnit, now I feel like a dick for being born in '91. Screw you and your thread=/.

Get out.

Dick.

Code:
But for actual content, I've been here since 03/04 or something like that, and lurked a while before that when registration was closed. I think I've made a bunch of good friends, and hopefully a fair amount of bitter enemies.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:34 AM »

I haven't been here nearly as long as most people - but I do appreciate people putting up with my occasional rants and tangents.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:32:20 AM »

I find it funny how, over the course of being on the boards, I went and did the opposite of everybody and became LESS of a dick.

You guys are assholes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: